Non-Lions Footy Discussion 2013

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Huh. Turns out that kid who caught the Haddin 6 one-handed at the ODI the other day is a potential draft hopeful in the AIS-AFL academy.

Peter Spurling, an AIS-AFL Academy member, took a one-handed catch in the crowd off a towering Brad Haddin six, sparking a mega cheer and high-fives aplenty in the stands.

Spurling, from Glenelg in Adelaide, is in the 2012-13 AIS-AFL Academy intake.

An AFL club talent expert confirmed tonight the 198cm 16-year-old was already looming large on the draft radar.

Link

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
What are peoples thoughts on Anthony Morabito and his current situation regarding his most recent injury? I personally believe he is as talented as they can come. I believe he should have LARS surgery. A rumour circulating the facebook world is that he is considering retirement. If true this would be such a shame as he so young and talented!!

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We all saw how tough it was for Stakes before his 2nd knee reco, so you could only imagine how tough it must be for Morabito. Considering he'll basically be a 23 year old second year footballer with big question marks over his body it'll be tough if he continues. Plus I'd hate to think of how bad his knee will be after footy after so much trauma.

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
We all saw how tough it was for Stakes before his 2nd knee reco, so you could only imagine how tough it must be for Morabito. Considering he'll basically be a 23 year old second year footballer with big question marks over his body it'll be tough if he continues. Plus I'd hate to think of how bad his knee will be after footy after so much trauma.
If Morabito does return to the field I hope (blindly) that these injuries don't hinder his confidence as a player. His playing ability cannot be taught!! I cannot stress how much of a talent this young man is.
If you were to ask Stakes, Drummo, Leuy or Bartlett these injuries are quite traumatic and difficult to return from. Bartlett is yet to spear passes from that brilliant left foot like he did in his draft year. Drummo was able to use that brilliant boot of his still. Leuy came back from some pretty horrific injuries to be stiff to miss out on the AA squad in 2011. Jordan Roughead had quite a good season this year for the Hawks after overcoming a pretty horrific injury. For every feel good story a not so nice recovery story is there.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll be interested to see how this dude goes with his development in the game. Very athletic ex-basketballer just now learning his skills with the oval footy.

Eric Wallace's beautiful struggle

NORTH Melbourne international rookie Eric Wallace has described the start of his transition to Australian football as "a beautiful struggle".

Wallace, a former US college basketballer from North Carolina, was signed by North in December for the next two seasons after impressing in a 10-day trial with the club.

Wallace, 196cm and 102kg, first came to the Roos' attention at last October's NAB AFL Draft Combine, when as one of 10 international athletes to test he showed outstanding athleticism and speed.

Wallace said he was working "all day" to develop his skills with the oval Australian football, completing 200-300 kicks a day and 400 handballs.

Odds are against him, but you like to see a hard worker like this who takes a massive gamble succeed.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll be interested to see how this dude goes with his development in the game. Very athletic ex-basketballer just now learning his skills with the oval footy.

Odds are against him, but you like to see a hard worker like this who takes a massive gamble succeed.

I don't really understand why a US college basketballer would leave the states to come here and play AFL. It's just such a random sport change and huge downgrade in salary. He could just as easily go to Europe and earn twice as much as most AFL players.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wish I could get paid to learn how to play footy.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't really understand why a US college basketballer would leave the states to come here and play AFL. It's just such a random sport change and huge downgrade in salary. He could just as easily go to Europe and earn twice as much as most AFL players.
Bloody hipsters.

Some of those black guys (no racial slur intended) are perfectly build for AFL footy. It really is an untapped resource, but they have so many avenues for sport over the the USA or Europe that it would be very hard to lure them here. It would be a downgrade for many of them, they would have to have an interest in the game. I hope he is a huge success TBH, might put the idea in other kids heads.

Reading about the experiences of NBA players who moved to Europe during the lockout, it's not for everyone. The culture shock can be huge for some, but it's more the feeling of isolation in a country where you often can't talk to many people - sometimes even your teammates. There were a couple of stories of attitudes of both teammates and oppositions of trying to "take out the American" as well. So I can see why some may choose to put in the extra work in a fairly benign environment rather than take their chances in Europe.

On top of that, you'd kind of figure the top 100 players of less enter the NBA. Maybe another few hundred join other top leagues around the world, probably 1000 or less.

Looking at college basketballers, Wikipedia lists 349 schools in Div 1, at least probably 230 in Div 2 and some unknown number in Div 3 (still competitive schools). Assuming each graduates three or four first team basketballers each year, that's about 2000 players right there. There's a lot of talent still going around, so picking up the 1001st best college basketballer would still be the equivalent of a top talent in Australia.

Yeah and who would of imagined that Mike Pyke would end up as a premiership player.....

H
Yep....So many people have tried to help him, but he has just rubbed their noses in it......take him back where he came from, and so be it....leave him there.
Harsh,he can go wherever he likes.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Of course he can....whats that got to do with it?....he came from an isolated community way out in the bush, he didn't adjust to any kind of city life and its rules....so as I said, take him back to his community where he obviously would prefer to be..

.it didn't work for him, as it has for others....and there is only so much a person can do to help someone, they have to want to help themselves as well..imo that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Feel a bit sorry for him actually.
Footy scouts scour the bush for hidden gems, tell them how great they are or could be, lure them to the city which is such a foreign place then sit back and scratch their heads when it goes pear shaped or they fail to cope with their new world. It wasn't meant to be perhaps and his life has been adversly affected by the possible promise of great things. Alot of pressure for a young man from his community (don't forget how young and "sheltered" these blokes are before the move to the city).
(Much of my comment is speculative of course and one would have to assume that he also received a lot of help and opportunity. Still...)

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah, I do a bit too actually, as well as annoyed, but it really isn't his fault.....they don't know any different, and we come along and promise them the world...a world that is so far removed from their every day life, it could be another planet..

..take him home, and let him be..

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Yeah, I do a bit too actually, as well as annoyed, but it really isn't his fault.....they don't know any different, and we come along and promise them the world...a world that is so far removed from their every day life, it could be another planet..

..take him home, and let him be..

Jurrah's bail conditions prevent him from returning to the Northern Territory except to attend court, which is on the 11th March 2013.. He had to apply to the court to have the conditions altered to allow him to live in South Australia with his family over summer.

Link

MELBOURNE recruits Chris Dawes and Shannon Byrnes have walked straight into the Demons' leadership group for 2013.

I'm sure the Melbourne playing group will be thrilled to be taking orders from these two fringe players from other clubs. What's the bet the exodus of senior players will continue in 2013?

I'm sure the Melbourne playing group will be thrilled to be taking orders from these two fringe players from other clubs. What's the bet the exodus of senior players will continue in 2013?

You're forgetting the key leadership skills of Mitch Clark. He'll keep them in line.

Back