Non-Lions Footy Season, 2016 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That would open up a whole can of worms that.
Draft implications would be massive with those boys becoming part of live bidding.
I LOVE IT.

There's no point taking away picks if they're just going to end up going into debt and getting better picks anyway. It would obviously penalise them next year though.

Right decision I reckon as I think time is what is making the waters muddy. If Watson had been found guilty the week after winning the Brownlow there would be no doubting that he relinquish and that Mitchell and Cotchin be awarded it. We are 4 years down a fairly windy track to get to the decision but the decision is still what it is.

Will always smell a little which is sad for all three actually.

Agree.

The span of time makes it feel "stranger" (for want of a better word) but logically, it's the right call.

It's been mentioned that Cotchin is an underwhelming footballer and I understand that sentiment as well.

Once again though, it's an irrelevancy to the argument. Our personal prejudices don't count. The fact remains that he received the second equal number of "valid" votes in the 2012 season and is entitled to be treated as joint winner.

Finally, if they didn't re-award the gong, wouldn't it just serve to reinforce the"poor Jobe" sentiment even more? :footy:

And not being able to match academy bids in the first round.
If they lose 15 and 37, that only leaves them with pick 39 and small change and their ability to match bids without going into serious deficit anyway will be severely depleted. If Essendon wanted to be devious they would bid on Setterfield.

If they lose 15 and 37, that only leaves them with pick 39 and small change and their ability to match bids without going into serious deficit anyway will be severely depleted. If Essendon wanted to be devious they would bid on Setterfield.
But then they would end up with him because i dont think gws would match.

discussion on SEN re Jobe Watsons 2012 all australian selection. should that honour be stripped from Watson as well?

IMO it should, using the same logic for stripping the brownlow, performance enhancement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspended players for say striking are still eligible for AA selection, so I would have thought that it would remain
that was my immediate reaction as well. but the reason he and others are stripped of honours for a performance enhancing drug infringement is the assumption that they have performed above what they could have done without the illegal enhancement.

there is also a valid argument that any other player of the year awards he may have received in that year (2012) should be handed back, or repaid if it was of financial benefit to him ie. car/holidays etc.

Hi all, bumped into drew Petrie yesterday at our kids school fete. He mentioned he's off to west coast for the 1year as a rookie. But apparently his manager is confident that the new rookie rules ( they are discussing now) will allow him to play Rd 1 if he is in the best 22 regardless of main list spots. Obviously nothing is concrete until his name is read out. ( as other teams might still nominate him or wc go cold for in the 11th hour)
Be interesting how this rookie change ( to elevate or not elevate ) Ie with our choice to nominate Archie smith. Whether or not this needs to be done now? I didn't ask too many other questions, more just happy for him to get another go at 35 yrs of age. His history / connection with Simpson was the crucial part of the deal and was kept under the table for most part.
Was stocked to play with new team and 2 Brownlow medalists and Coleman medalist.

We have to elevate archie he has already done three years on the rookie list. It's the rules

Interesting that he attended training yesterday. A last try at getting back? How close would he have been to being okay that anyone thought that was likely, for it to not be? One would think they knew it wouldn't work out, or if that close, that extended leave would be an option over terminating the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back