Non-Lions Footy Season, 2016 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the call had to he made and I agree with it. But the way its played it has been pissweak and disrespectful from north. I mean one of the blokes is the game records holder. Surely deserves alot better.

I understand the call had to he made and I agree with it. But the way its played it has been pissweak and disrespectful from north. I mean one of the blokes is the game records holder. Surely deserves alot better.

It feels like they were doing their spring cleaning, then when they heard the garbo down the street, they decided to clean out the fridge too and just grabbed the first few things they saw near there use-by date and bundled them into the bin.

Last edited:
Good point made by David King. Swanny got an entire day this week dedicated to his retirement. Brent Harvey got a tweet and a few lines in an article. Absolutely butchered by NM for such a champion of the game and that club.

Yep ...Great point,....a lot to be said in the way clubs treat their champions...

Here's my bit:

Boomer is a flog, when he plays or when he is forced into retirement, still a flog.

Chances are Norf tried to get the players that do the right thing and go peacefully and respectfully but they declined forcing the clubs hand. None of these players were wanting to go yet. For their future their club needed to pull the pin. When they allow a player to play to 38, it gives others ideas. Timing of the announcement, well I think that is saying to the team that this finals shot is the last so pull out all stops.

Side note: Kingy is a megaflog who I have no faith in whatsoever so to take his word on any issue is entirely up to you, but I wouldn't.

Either way, let Norfs implode - just get me some popcorn. And for the love of the Footy Gods, stop it with the Boomer love. It is making me nauseous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Essendon are praying to the footy gods that we lose and they win so they avoid the spoon, pick 1 and the resulting peeved public reaction, and block any chance we have of a pp. On this draft they are happy to take second pick.

Consolation prize of #1 isn't so bad though. Pp is unlikely anyway because VFL.

Only downside is making Bombers happy.

Good point made by David King. Swanny got an entire day this week dedicated to his retirement. Brent Harvey got a tweet and a few lines in an article. Absolutely butchered by NM for such a champion of the game and that club.
No doubt it wasn't handled well, but there's a difference in that Swan is never going to play again. The guys at North still have at least 2 games to go, and who knows if they're going to look for another club next season, particularly Harvey.
Listening to SEN, North were sort of forced to make the decision and announcement this week as the players asked them directly and wanted the opportunity for a home sendoff. The club could have handled it better, but they were sort of between a rock and a hard place on this one.

Here's my bit:

Boomer is a flog, when he plays or when he is forced into retirement, still a flog.

Chances are Norf tried to get the players that do the right thing and go peacefully and respectfully but they declined forcing the clubs hand. None of these players were wanting to go yet. For their future their club needed to pull the pin. When they allow a player to play to 38, it gives others ideas. Timing of the announcement, well I think that is saying to the team that this finals shot is the last so pull out all stops.

Side note: Kingy is a megaflog who I have no faith in whatsoever so to take his word on any issue is entirely up to you, but I wouldn't.

Either way, let Norfs implode - just get me some popcorn. And for the love of the Footy Gods, stop it with the Boomer love. It is making me nauseous.

I assume part of the timing of it is a bit of 'get along to say goodbye' given they're at home this week. It's possibly the last game they'll play in Melbourne this year as there's a good chance they'll be playing interstate in week 1 of the finals.

Edit- Or what braddsey said :)

Piss poor effort from North.

Surely there was a better, more respectful way they could have handled the whole thing.

Boomer aside, Petie and Firrito gave that club years of yeoman service.

BOOO!!!!

needs...#shinBONED!!!

As in making up a specific set of rules for a specific occasion, instead of letting the rules apply as they stand and accepting that sometimes there'll be unexpected consequences. As others have noted, already far too much of this going on already.

Yep. Tends not to turn out well though. That's how we get things like the Frawley FA compo which gave us false expectations for Leuenberger. And member clubs simply have no shame using one-off incidents as precedents for demanding something or other, such as Port Adelaide wailing about how unfair it was they couldn't get top ups for their two suspended players. It would only be a matter of time before someone proposes that we shouldn't get a high draft pick because something something three premierships something.

And as Kevvo says ultimately this ad hoc approach to making up rules hurts clubs like us that have less political clout - the academies are the best example of this.

So I'm opposed to taking the number one pick off the Bombers on principle, even if I agree with the majority view that in isolation they probably shouldn't get it.
The circumstances that led to Essendon getting the no 1 pick are unique though. The purpose of the draft is as a tool for equalisation and the AFL would never have considered this type of situation when making the rules. I think that's more than enough justification for them to intervene. The fairest outcome for the entire competition is to give them the same pick as they had in 2015 imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The circumstances that led to Essendon getting the no 1 pick are unique though. The purpose of the draft is as a tool for equalisation and the AFL would never have considered this type of situation when making the rules. I think that's more than enough justification for them to intervene. The fairest outcome for the entire competition is to give them the same pick as they had in 2015 imo.
Mark is concerned the sanctioned players wont come back in great form.I heard him say it.

Is Firrito a chance for a 1 year contract replacing sauce?
Yes and still chase Mackenzie on longer terms.I think N.Brown goes to north to replace spud and they are still after outside mid with pace maybe O'Meara

Piss poor effort from North.

Surely there was a better, more respectful way they could have handled the whole thing.

Boomer aside, Petie and Firrito gave that club years of yeoman service.

BOOO!!!!

They asked the players whether they wanted to have a press conference and announce their retirements and they all declined. Obviously they were pissed off with the decision.

Boomer could play on another year, the others are cooked.

The circumstances actually aren't all that unique. The drugs suspensions are, certainly, but not clubs finishing lower than they otherwise would because of the unavailability of a stack of players.

The circumstances actually aren't all that unique. The drugs suspensions are, certainly, but not clubs finishing lower than they otherwise would because of the unavailability of a stack of players.
although would a club have finished lower because of the unavailability of a stack of players because of a highly dubious supplements regime which resulted in mass suspensions?

too late now but IMO they should have been relegated to the first pick after the non finalists.

I think the AFL had to draw a line under the Essendon saga at some point. The footy world needed to move on. By not punishing Essendon (as a club) any further, it means that, once the players' suspension is lifted, we can all move on.

It doesn't sit comfortably with me that Essendon gets the number 1 pick but I also think that this whole situation has been so drawn out and damaging that I'd rather not draw it out any further, even if it means Essendon gets a slight advantage.

We can deal in hypotheticals like "Essendon wouldn't have finished last if they had a full list" but we actually don't know where Essendon would have finished. That makes it hard to assess what the "fair" draft pick would be. Put it this way, I'm far from being jealous of the position Essendon are in. I reckon they've over-committed time-wise on Hurley and Hooker and have missed out on cashing in on the likes of Watson and Stanton's last peak years. I think the year out of football will be damaging. I don't think they've got the strongest group of youngsters going around. I think their culture is going to need a lot of work. They have to be struggling financially. And their brand is still a ruin. Getting a (slightly?) higher draft pick than what would otherwise have been the case is a pretty small concession given where they are at as a club. I think they'll still be a long time recovering from the drugs saga.

Stanton and Watson's last peak years may already have passed.

although would a club have finished lower because of the unavailability of a stack of players because of a highly dubious supplements regime which resulted in mass suspensions?

too late now but IMO they should have been relegated to the first pick after the non finalists.
It was all stuffed up when the AFL gave them that punishment back in 2013? banning from finals and the draft. It was stupid to do that before all the information was known, and it is stupid to not relegate them this year. But sadly for us, you cant do both.

Haha. Jaeger drops bomb on gold coast. Requists trade.

Honestly. Who thought he would stay.

If only GCS got in a new coach and fixed their culture a few years ago...:rolleyes:

The AFL need to scrap the PSD ASAP. This talk of him walking through to Essendon at pick 1 is bullshit and not fair.
North is the tip for where he goes if they can make a deal with GC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back