Non-Lions Footy Season (2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll put my hand up. They got on a roll at the right time in a very poor year. Well played them for capitalising.
Me too. I thought they were just a very good defensive team that wouldn't be able to kick enough goals in finals. As it turns out, they seem to have done exactly what the Bulldogs did last year. If you start playing the right kind of footy at the right time, teams won't have time to work out how to respond.

Man I know this would happen. Constant nagging of Richmond all year from you and a comment like that. Admit they were good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
They were good on a day when the best team of a s**t season was s**t on the day. Call this season as even as you want, it was just s**t the expansion really showing the gap skill.

Morning after clear head review. Umpiring poor early but did not have an effect on the result. Tigers relentless pressure that Crows couldn't handle as the game went on. They lost all structure and just kept bombing it forward. Tiges deserved to win cos they played the best finals footy throughout the finals. There are 2 seasons & the finals season is the important one. I wanted the Crows to win but can handle the tigers winning (but not their supporters)

PS Thought Houli should have got the NS

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PS Thought Houli should have got the NS

...so did we, and apparently so did others.

In the cold light of day, who would've believed at the start of the season that Tigers would win the flag. Unreal, miracles do happen....and they deserved their win, they had to be better than all the other teams to get there, and they were...

..there is hope for us.

Second year in a row where an average side was in form at the right time of year.

50-50 on Richmond making the finals next year.

Surprised to see this said. They lost a few games early in the season where they stuffed up big time in the final quarter and it eventually clicked later in the season. The quality of the top 8 this year seemed a bit low to me. Only team I can see improving significantly is GWS (with a good injury run.)

Second year in a row where an average side was in form at the right time of year.

50-50 on Richmond making the finals next year.

You could have said that about our 2001 flag. It's not like they scraped into the finals. They earn their top 4 status. And any team who wins the flag needs to be in form at the right time of the year, a least for 3 games anyway. Correct me if im wrong but we weren't minor premiers in any of the premiership years.

I guess more what I'm saying is l'll be surprised if in 20 years I'll be talking about how lucky I was to see the mighty Richmond side of 10s in action.

There's always increased opportunities in the period between the dynasties of great sides.

I think we were so lucky to see the very best footy team win our 3peat.
Winning one premiership is hard enough ,winning 3 in a row as an interstate team is phenomenal.
What a brilliant team they were !

With the Bulldogs and Richmond premierships maybe we're seeing the effects of the expansion teams diluting the talent pool and also equalisation. Less impressive teams winning the premiership.

I would add to, the introduction of a the TPP banking mechanism that allows Clubs to spend over 100% of the TPP and ASA limits (combined limit). In any of the preceding two years where a Club can spend below 100% of the combined limit. If that was $500k below the combined limit in 2015, that Club can spend up to $500k over the combined limits across 2016 and 2017 add to that new increases in the TPP ..The overspend amount in any given year permits a Club to spend up to a maximum of 105% of the combined limit in that year

Giving room in the salary cap as Richmond did to go out and buy players like Caddy, Nankervis and Prestia..

Total Player Payments/Average wage

2016: $10.37m, $309,000

2017: $12.45m, $371,000

2018: $12.6m, $375,000

2019: $12.76m, $380,000

2020: $13.02m, $388,000

2021: $13.28m, $396,000

2022: $13.54m, $403,000

The only time since 2003 a non-Victorian team beat a Victorian team in a GF was Sydney over Hawthorn. The AFL launched an investigation into Victorian football and how to fix it after only six years of non-Victorian wins.

It really does reinforce how incredible we were to beat Victorian power clubs on their home patch three grand finals in a row.

Will never be replicated.

Just have to play well enough that the other side's umpires' weight on the scales is unable to change the final result.

Btw - is there such a thing in AFL where they don't let you umpire in a GF if you played for a side or are from one of the states competing (so no Vic or SA or ex Crow or Tiger umpires)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back