Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

You sound disappointed that he didn't..
In a way l am. Full on punch to a guys face, not unlike what Gaff did. Darcy was just lucky his didn't do any damage but from the picture it still looked like he put a lot of force into it. Punching needs to be stamped out of the game and what Darcy did was unacceptable.

Yeah, if a player executes a semi-crude bump and their opponent does an ACL, should the player have to be suspended for a year?

Bumps, whether semi-crude or otherwise are still part of the game, so probably not. Punches to any part of the body, whether semi-crude (such as a jumper punch) or rip snorers are not part of the game, so must be illegal, that's why I feel when someone injures another player full responsibility should be taken and compensation should be made. I've not placed a great deal of thought into how this would work & as I don't read any other boards on here I've not seen this mentioned before. Hip pocket & time out is my solution. Somehow there would have to be tolerances built in, if it were ever to happen.

That picture proves nothing. He could have just punched the ball away.
Can't find the picture but it is pretty definitive. Closed fist right next to face, oppositions face looks as if punched, plus multiple reports from people where were in the stands said they saw what Gardiner did and were shocked (I know this part wouldn't work the the MRO but just showing that he did punch the player)

Can't find the picture but it is pretty definitive. Closed fist right next to face, oppositions face looks as if punched, plus multiple reports from people where were in the stands said they saw what Gardiner did and were shocked (I know this part wouldn't work the the MRO but just showing that he did punch the player)
I know the photo you are talking of.
I fail to see it is definitive of anything?
It is a photo of Darcy’s fist a foot in front of Menengola’s chest.
You are saying he should have got 3 weeks for that? That, that is enough evidence for you to convict?
None of the field umpires saw it, none of the commentators at the ground saw it. There was no report, no charge and no tv cameras picked anything up.
A still photo means nothing .

You choose weird hills to die on.

You are saying he should have got 3 weeks for that? That, that is enough evidence for you to convict?
None of the field umpires saw it, none of the commentators at the ground saw it. There was no report, no charge and no tv cameras picked anything up.
There was no charge because there was no tv cameras that caught it or umpires that saw it. Fist was just on the other side of face iirc and If you look at his Menegloas face, it looks like he has been punched. And he definitly did punch him because as l said in my last post plenty of supporters saw it happen. In any case, he didn't get suspended but it just highlights how lucky someone can be and how unlucky someone can be cos that is the sort of thing that can also break or concuss.

There was no charge because there was no tv cameras that caught it or umpires that saw it. Fist was just on the other side of face iirc and If you look at his Menegloas face, it looks like he has been punched. And he definitly did punch him because as l said in my last post plenty of supporters saw it happen. In any case, he didn't get suspended but it just highlights how lucky someone can be and how unlucky someone can be cos that is the sort of thing that can also break or concuss.
I am not saying that he did or did not punch him. Just that there is no evidence to charge him, that is all.

I can't comment on the incident as I didn't see it, but I do know that Geelong were asked whether there was anything worth reporting from it and the response from their football department was that there wasn't.

I can't comment on the incident as I didn't see it, but I do know that Geelong were asked whether there was anything worth reporting from it and the response from their football department was that there wasn't.
Interesting. Happened right in front of the Lions fans section next to the race and in front of the Lions coaches box, so I’ve no doubt the club breathed a sigh of relief Darcy wasn’t cited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brereton, I think, on the tv coverage mentions he saw it but aside from that there seems to be no evidence of the incident

Best friends granddad passed away this morning. Hope Essendon send him off in style tonight (sorry Mr Macmum).

Based on the fixture you'd assume they deliberately schedule boring games for friday nights.
Because Friday night Australian is Friday morning British, it is very convenient for me how they consistently schedule the least watchable game in the least watchable time slot.

Hopefully next year Freo will get a few more Friday night games instead of that sort of rubbish scheduling we had last week

So many Friday games wasted on Carlton and/or St Kilda.

I hadn't checked the broadcast schedule. But looked at the games for this week. Assumed Collingwood V Brisbane at Etihad would be a no brainer for the Saturday night game. Nope. GWS V Crows. That'll get massive viewing numbers in Melbourne lol. The broadcast schedule has seriously sucked this year. They should have the flexibility to modify it as the year pans out.

I hadn't checked the broadcast schedule. But looked at the games for this week. Assumed Collingwood V Brisbane at Etihad would be a no brainer for the Saturday night game. Nope. GWS V Crows. That'll get massive viewing numbers in Melbourne lol. The broadcast schedule has seriously sucked this year. They should have the flexibility to modify it as the year pans out.

GWS v Crows would get more national interest - two top 4 teams from last year. That's actually not a bad matchup. They only do "special" state viewing for NSW/Qld as far as I'm aware.

Unfortunately, the AFL is a sell out, like most commercial ventures. Fox is the senior broadcast partner, with 9 live games, every week. No need to adjust scheduling, because what you perceive to be the better game, is already being broadcast live. I don't know if the AFL gets a say in which game goes to which broadcaster, but they get paid either way and probably paid more by Fox than Seven. As it is, it's only law that gets us free to air games in the numbers we do.
As a Brisbane resident, I'm just grateful that the agreement insists on all Brisbane games get shown on FTA. Unfortunately for Melbourne (let alone elsewhere) residents get what they're given, with consideration only given to blockbusters and event games like Anzac Day. It's the pitfall of pay TV, but that is also what pays the bills.

GWS v Crows would get more national interest - two top 4 teams from last year. That's actually not a bad matchup. They only do "special" state viewing for NSW/Qld as far as I'm aware.

Pretty rare to get a free to air game down here with no Victorian side playing. Never looked into it, but assumed all states had skewed telecasts. I'm sure when they initially penned the schedule they assumed both these teams would be top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back