Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Think his age has more to do with the lack of interest than anything else. Not many 33 year olds get picked up once delisted. Hodge is a bit of a freak in that regard and, even then, we were clearly a special case given the Fagan connection. Ablett is another one, I guess.

I actually didn't realise he was that old already. Go figure.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I've found the three sets of videos so far (GWS, Carlton and St Kilda) really interesting but agree they dont always show the clubs in a flattering light. Just interesting the different values and thoughts they go through. Clearly there is a much greater difference in who they rate than the general group think we see.

Also the videos do show how bad the AFL is at setting up systems like phones.

Massively agree Richo comes across as a poor coach. Was funny to see the comments about him under pressure
Can't find the GWS video, do you have a link?

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Re: Goddard to Carlton. Heard an interview on SEN today, with someone from the Blues, not SoS, who said they will not be looking to get Brendan to the club. Said it was early days yet and hadn't had a chance to work out who, but very unlikely to be Goddard.

Jul 20, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After watching the Saints trade video on the AFL website, I am left feeling very underwhelmed by their admin team and their media team for considering that acceptable to release. That is not a series of exchanges that should be publicised. They didn't appear to have a clear understanding of what it was that they were offering and it's no surprise that they didn't get a deal done. It looked to me like they also were assuming that a deal had to be of equal value coming back in as going out. If they take that approach to trading on a draft night then they will never get a deal done. Realistically, if you want to buy your way into a top 10 pick then you need to pay for that, and you will be paying overs.

Anyone holding pick 10 is going to demand much more than a future round 1 pick and pick 36 while giving back another future pick. To even suggest that is laughable. There is absolutely nothing of interest for Port in that trade suggestion.

A totally disorganised group with no strong negotiation leader.
oh...And Richo's 10K members comment was cringe-worthy and disrespectful to their supporters.

The recent Gold Coast video on the other hand is much better! Had a clear plan, assessed all scenarios, proposed interesting trades, showed leadership; and finally got the deal done.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I find those draft videos really interesting.

I'd love to see one of those videos of us, although the deal we did was pretty lowbrow. Maybe there was one we tried to do but didn't get done.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do wonder if they are going to continue to bust them out for each of the clubs.

The other bit Im noticing is the top 5 (or even 10) is the most boring. All the interest/excitement seems to come after that as their is no certainty on what will happen. They cut the footage in the GC one when the Carlton trade happened, but I bet there was a lot more said that they didnt show

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I do wonder if they are going to continue to bust them out for each of the clubs.

The other bit Im noticing is the top 5 (or even 10) is the most boring. All the interest/excitement seems to come after that as their is no certainty on what will happen. They cut the footage in the GC one when the Carlton trade happened, but I bet there was a lot more said that they didnt show
From what Twomey said, we won’t be seeing one for each club.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After watching the Saints trade video on the AFL website, I am left feeling very underwhelmed by their admin team and their media team for considering that acceptable to release. That is not a series of exchanges that should be publicised. They didn't appear to have a clear understanding of what it was that they were offering and it's no surprise that they didn't get a deal done. It looked to me like they also were assuming that a deal had to be of equal value coming back in as going out. If they take that approach to trading on a draft night then they will never get a deal done. Realistically, if you want to buy your way into a top 10 pick then you need to pay for that, and you will be paying overs.

Anyone holding pick 10 is going to demand much more than a future round 1 pick and pick 36 while giving back another future pick. To even suggest that is laughable. There is absolutely nothing of interest for Port in that trade suggestion.

A totally disorganised group with no strong negotiation leader.
oh...And Richo's 10K members comment was cringe-worthy and disrespectful to their supporters.
Just watched it. Who decideed to put that up? If it was Saints, not sure why it was just 10 minutes iof them failing to get a trade done.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
Re: Goddard to Carlton. Heard an interview on SEN today, with someone from the Blues, not SoS, who said they will not be looking to get Brendan to the club. Said it was early days yet and hadn't had a chance to work out who, but very unlikely to be Goddard.

Yep.. Goddard officially retired earlier in the week (The Blues may have prompted that)... The Blues made a play and landed Swans defender Newman as a delisted free agent...also have defenders Hugh Goddard and Thomas Bugg Their Rookie spots look to be for midfielder types.

brendon_goddard
I feel very privileged and honoured to have played at two great football clubs in @essendonfc and @stkildafc Last night I was fortunate enough to celebrate my retirement @Cathedrallodge , a very special place for me and my family, with a group of footy people (now lifelong friends) who have supported me along the way. Thanks to @davidevans___ @sonnyrevans @au_tlaand @essendonfc for organising it and allowing me to recognise and thank you all for the friendship and support you’ve given Rosie, Billie, Mackenzie and I. I’m looking forward to the next chapter of my life with my extraordinary wife @rosielgoddard and our 2 little angels! And a big thank you to Mum, Dad, Michelle, Beau, Laura and Claire for their continued love and support during this journey.....Also my extended family and close friends, you all know who you are Much love x

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
A good time to remind everyone that a mental health check up is not a bad thing. Don't want anything to happen to any of you. Take care of yourselves and each other.

And equally important to reach out to those who might be lonely at Christmas.

Back