Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

The betting for this year’s flag is very even. 3 sides around the $5 mark and that doesn’t include the reigning premiers who are at $7. Then there are another 4 sides at $15 or better. A side like the Dogs will be expecting to bounce back, St Kilda will want to get their development back on track and clubs like Collingwood and Hawthorn expect to play finals every year.

It does feel as though we’re between eras at the moment without a dominant one or two clubs on the landscape. It will be interesting to see if we’re on the cusp of seeing another great side emerge or if this will be another year where the premier pops up as a bit of a surprise.

Last edited:
If anyone else was interested enough to look it up:

Adelaide $5.00
Sydney $5.00
Greater Western Sydney $5.50
Richmond $7.00
Geelong $9.00
Port Adelaide $10.00
Melbourne $13.00
Essendon $15.00
Western Bulldogs $21.00
Collingwood $21.00
Hawthorn $23.00
West Coast $31.00
St Kilda $34.00
Fremantle $41.00
Carlton $51.00
North Melbourne $81.00
Brisbane $81.00
Gold Coast $81.00

If anyone else was interested enough to look it up:

Adelaide $5.00
Sydney $5.00
Greater Western Sydney $5.50
Richmond $7.00
Geelong $9.00
Port Adelaide $10.00
Melbourne $13.00
Essendon $15.00
Western Bulldogs $21.00
Collingwood $21.00
Hawthorn $23.00
West Coast $31.00
St Kilda $34.00
Fremantle $41.00
Carlton $51.00
North Melbourne $81.00
Brisbane $81.00
Gold Coast $81.00

Would the same betting agencies have Kangas Lions and Suns as equal favourites for the spoon then?

Would the same betting agencies have Kangas Lions and Suns as equal favourites for the spoon then?
I'm not going back there to check, I felt dirty enough.

Gold Coast are wooden spoon favourites at $2.85, with Brisbane and North on the next line at $4. Carlton is $5.
All my AFL futures multis will have a North spoon quadrupling the other legs.I really can't see us having less than 5 wins and I think GC has enough talent to get a bit of a move on especially now Eade has left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All my AFL futures multis will have a North spoon quadrupling the other legs.I really can't see us having less than 5 wins and I think GC has enough talent to get a bit of a move on especially now Eade has left
The unknown with the Gold Coast is how the Tom Lynch contract plays out. If he re-signs early, I could see them being quite competitive. If he looks like departing, their season could derail really quickly.

Having said that, when I look at the various squads, North looks the weakest.

The unknown with the Gold Coast is how the Tom Lynch contract plays out. If he re-signs early, I could see them being quite competitive. If he looks like departing, their season could derail really quickly.

Having said that, when I look at the various squads, North looks the weakest.
If Lynch leaves GC, then they are basically screwed for the short to medium term. Pretty sure there only other forward is Peter Wright then who is still very young. Their new coach has a lot of work to do

The big unknown is how their travel in the first half of the year as well as not being able to use their admin and training facilities for the first half of the season will affect them.

I know we’ve been saying it for a couple of years now but this feels like the time when GWS should win its first flag. A good half their best side is now aged 22-26 with 80+ games under their belt. And we know they are talented. The question is whether the whole can become greater than the sum of the parts, as Richmond and the Dogs managed to do in the past two years. They’ll need to fill the ruck role and I think their contested stuff could be improved on at times. I’d have them outright favourites for the flag. To me, they are the side with the most talent and the most number of components of a premiership side.

I know we’ve been saying it for a couple of years now but this feels like the time when GWS should win its first flag. A good half their best side is now aged 22-26 with 80+ games under their belt. And we know they are talented. The question is whether the whole can become greater than the sum of the parts, as Richmond and the Dogs managed to do in the past two years. They’ll need to fill the ruck role and I think their contested stuff could be improved on at times. I’d have them outright favourites for the flag. To me, they are the side with the most talent and the most number of components of a premiership side.
Could argue that injuries may have cost them last year. Also I know Richmond won the prelim by a bit but Sheilds was playing well before he went off injured

GWS are the ultimate run one way side. If they can discover some defensive effort for an entire game they should win a couple of flags. If not they have been a massive bust with the amount of talent they have accumulated.

Lack the most important ingredient. Heart.

funny thing is its their kids that lack it the senior players have it
Not sure I agree completely, I’m not a fan of what both Shaw and Stevie J have offered in the last couple of years in terms of direction/leadership to the forward and backline.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree completely, I’m a fan of what both Shaw and Stevie J have offered in the last couple of years in terms of direction/leadership to the forward and backline.

I think you need to re-read his post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back