Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

If his Dad isn't an advocate for the merits of moving north, not sure who would be. As for Lachlan, has anyone seen or heard anything to suggest he is considered by the Lions to be of the necessary standard? I haven't and he has not featured much at a representative or TAC cup level.

Chris Johnson has been a good advocate for us. This would be a tricky one for him though.

Of course, we've already had a pretty significant father son prospect turn us down in Marc Murphy.

Only slightly related, but I'm not a big fan of the father son rule. It's been an anachronism ever since the start of the national competition but it's going to become more and more out of place as the era of increased player movement really takes hold. I can't imagine the Suns are going to have too many F/S opportunities in the next generation.

In truth it doesn't leave a big footprint, but over time it will probably benefit heartland clubs more than frontier clubs.

Chris Johnson has been a good advocate for us. This would be a tricky one for him though.

Of course, we've already had a pretty significant father son prospect turn us down in Marc Murphy.

Only slightly related, but I'm not a big fan of the father son rule. It's been an anachronism ever since the start of the national competition but it's going to become more and more out of place as the era of increased player movement really takes hold. I can't imagine the Suns are going to have too many F/S opportunities in the next generation.

In truth it doesn't leave a big footprint, but over time it will probably benefit heartland clubs more than frontier clubs.
And, of course, while not wishing to point the blame at anyone, the Schache experience turned out to be a rather poor example of the father son rule at work.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions

I agree.

The "romanticism" of F/S doesn't justify yet another lever to skew the competition even further towards the "football" states

And it's already benefitting the heartland clubs and has been for years.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can’t see Johnson being taken through an NGA academy being any worse than Blakey this year.

Can’t see Johnson being taken through an NGA academy being any worse than Blakey this year.

I don't really agree with that. Lachlan Johnson would have much better access to high quality AFL training and competition in Melbourne than Blakey in Sydney.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't really agree with that. Lachlan Johnson would have much better access to high quality AFL training and competition in Melbourne than Blakey in Sydney.

Which might prepare him better for his first couple of years of footy but top talent like Blakey (the son of a former player and current coach) would’ve found a way. Maybe without the academy he might’ve shown less and been a steal down the order.

I think it was more around the point that even without the sydney academy in existence, Blakey would most likely be involved in decent football programs. I do agree that the level wouldn't have been as high, so perhaps he may not have had as much development but with a dad like his i'm pretty confident he wouldn't have missed out on access to training plans, diet info, etc etc. So realistically there would have to be little difference for him whether he was in an Academy or not. Which I would imagine is a similar story with Johnson.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That seems like a very long contract for a 29 year old who looks like he has been playing sore for us for the last 2 years...will be very interested to see how he is travelling after another 2 years, let alone 4.

Might end up like the Tippett situation

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/beams-signs-four-year-deal-with-magpies-20181128-p50izd.html

Beamsy has signed a four year deal with the magpies.

Would be pretty shocked if he lasts that long tbh.
They had to stretch his pay
That seems like a very long contract for a 29 year old who looks like he has been playing sore for us for the last 2 years...will be very interested to see how he is travelling after another 2 years, let alone 4.
It’s explained why in the article.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Probably not to dissimilar to our contract with Lyons snr.

We weren’t going to pay what GC was paying per year, so we offered a longer contract at less money per year.

Probably not to dissimilar to our contract with Lyons snr.

We weren’t going to pay what GC was paying per year, so we offered a longer contract at less money per year.
And the promise of success.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Understood but Beams is 29 and Lyons 26 and with Lyons there is more chance of him actually playing out his contract.
As the article said, and there is also another article about other Collingwood stars doing the same, Pendlebury and others, that Collingwood has salary cap problems, and their way around it was to stretch the players contracts.

If the Collingwood players don’t see out their contracts, Collingwood will probably do what Sydney did with Tippet, and move the contracts to the rookie list when the players effectively retire.

As the article said, and there is also another article about other Collingwood stars doing the same, Pendlebury and others, that Collingwood has salary cap problems, and their way around it was to stretch the players contracts.

If the Collingwood players don’t see out their contracts, Collingwood will probably do what Sydney did with Tippet, and move the contracts to the rookie list when the players effectively retire.
Their problem is it isn't an isolated case, their list is well aged and their draft options next year are thin to non-existent.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Collingwood players sacrifice cash to help sign Dayne Beams in premiership pursuit

Collingwood’s senior core has agreed to sacrifice some of their 2019 pay packet to squeeze Dayne Beams into the club’s tight salary cap.

A group of between 8-12 Pies were approached by the club to defer some of next year’s wage into later years given the club’s salary cap issues.

It is understood the sums were between $30,000-$40,000, with the players happy to do so if it would help them win the premiership that eluded them against West Coast.

Beams is on a four-year deal on less than the vast sums he received at Brisbane, set to be paid less than $500,000 in his first season as part of a heavily back-ended deal.

It is not known exactly how many players eventually agreed to push that money into the latter years of their deals.

But with Beams’ recruitment coming late in the trade period and the Pies admitting their cap was tight, his signing took some shuffling of contracts.

Haha, will make it even more sweeter when they miss out on another premiership. No doubt there will be some dodgy 3rd party deals in it for Beams and the other players.

You can't blame the team that was beaten in the Grand Final by a kick thinking they are in the window but geez that's putting a lot into 2019. I reckon the odds are that our first pick will be better than 17.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
You can't blame the team that was beaten in the Grand Final by a kick thinking they are in the window but geez that's putting a lot into 2019. I reckon the odds are that our first pick will be better than 17.
Lets hope it works out like our 2005 drop off after a GF loss for the Pies.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
...seems a lot of people have put themselves out a lot for DBeams to get what he wants.

imo its fair enough to ask all players to take a pay cut to keep the team together, but to ask some to take a cut so as to pay another player is a bit much I reckon.

The competition feels more and more even. I certainly don't write Collingwood off as a flag chance, particularly with Beams. But, equally, they could play just about as well next year and not make the top 4. Teams like Adelaide and Richmond could bounce back to 2017 form. And there are teams like Melbourne who are clearly on the rise. I reckon we may be in an era where sustained success by a single club is less likely but more teams are in the hunt for a flag every year.

Collingwood do have a lot in their favour - minimal list change and they shouldn't experience the same injury issues as last year. On the flip side, they are a "system" team and opponents will spend a lot of time over summer devising ways to beat their system.

There are several fascinating teams going into next year and Collingwood is one of them.

Back