Non-Lions Footy Season (2018)

Take my pen knife, my good man!

I am astonished you've lasted this long on BF without a working familiarity with the first ten seasons or so of the Simpsons.

Everything I know of the Simpsons I learned from Bigfooty!

No they are talking about a NFL running back who “didn’t” murder his ex-wife.

That's the guy who lives near the Lions' training facility!

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So we're not the football club in Brisbane with the admin circus going on. How 'bout dem Broncos... :think::poo:o_O:rainbow:

If there ever was a year to leapfrog the Broncos and get additional supporters of the Lions, this would be it.

Broncos underperforming, coach gets sacked, all this mismanagement will surely have an effect on the playing group. Fair few "supporters/fans" not happy about the way it was all handled.

Lions start to climb above the Broncos and get regular 26k+ crowds.

The amout of media attention and love the Broncos get here is disgusting. We need to reclaim the throne back.

If there ever was a year to leapfrog the Broncos and get additional supporters of the Lions, this would be it.

Broncos underperforming, coach gets sacked, all this mismanagement will surely have an effect on the playing group. Fair few "supporters/fans" not happy about the way it was all handled.

Lions start to climb above the Broncos and get regular 26k+ crowds.

The amout of media attention and love the Broncos get here is disgusting. We need to reclaim the throne back.
I agree! It’s a good year for a move up the ladder and be pushing for finals!

Lynch17

Rookie
Jun 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's bloody terrible, I don't know if it's just perception or backed up by statistics but it seems like it's a pretty regular occurrence to do a 2nd/3rd knee, makes you think there are genetic factors at play.
And players never seem to play the same after multiple knee reco’s. It could come down to mindset and confidence in the knee but it does take its toll after the second one I reckon. I know you don’t really ‘cheer’ injuries but the crows would be taking strong interest in this story

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Really awful news about Docherty. Looks like so many players do one ACL and then another.

Like Skinner, Natanui and too many others it must be just a shattering moment for them when it happens again.

Jul 20, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
After watching the Saints trade video on the AFL website, I am left feeling very underwhelmed by their admin team and their media team for considering that acceptable to release. That is not a series of exchanges that should be publicised. They didn't appear to have a clear understanding of what it was that they were offering and it's no surprise that they didn't get a deal done. It looked to me like they also were assuming that a deal had to be of equal value coming back in as going out. If they take that approach to trading on a draft night then they will never get a deal done. Realistically, if you want to buy your way into a top 10 pick then you need to pay for that, and you will be paying overs.

Anyone holding pick 10 is going to demand much more than a future round 1 pick and pick 36 while giving back another future pick. To even suggest that is laughable. There is absolutely nothing of interest for Port in that trade suggestion.

A totally disorganised group with no strong negotiation leader.
oh...And Richo's 10K members comment was cringe-worthy and disrespectful to their supporters.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
After watching the Saints trade video on the AFL website, I am left feeling very underwhelmed by their admin team and their media team for considering that acceptable to release. That is not a series of exchanges that should be publicised. They didn't appear to have a clear understanding of what it was that they were offering and it's no surprise that they didn't get a deal done. It looked to me like they also were assuming that a deal had to be of equal value coming back in as going out. If they take that approach to trading on a draft night then they will never get a deal done. Realistically, if you want to buy your way into a top 10 pick then you need to pay for that, and you will be paying overs.

Anyone holding pick 10 is going to demand much more than a future round 1 pick and pick 36 while giving back another future pick. To even suggest that is laughable. There is absolutely nothing of interest for Port in that trade suggestion.

oh...And Richo's 10K members comment was cringe-worthy and disrespectful to their supporters.
Simon Lethlaine ? Gubby Allen speaks volumes.

I see in another thread that majority of people are tipping SUNS for the wooden spoon........I honestly think it will be the Saints. Under Richo, they have become such a blah team. They really don't have anyone of note.
They looked so promising in 2017. They really have stagnated since.

Gold Coast are a new level of ordinary though. They have a better group of younguns but otherwise their best 22 is full of journeymen.

Carlton wouldn’t want any more senior players to go down, otherwise they could be looking at a wooden spoon with no pick 1 to make them feel better.

Carlton wouldn’t want any more senior players to go down, otherwise they could be looking at a wooden spoon with no pick 1 to make them feel better.
Losing Simpson would be brutal given how much they try to set up from their backline. IMO the only bigger loss would be Cripps who is that midfield.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I’ve heard talk from a connected person at Carlton that Brendan Goddard’s is seriously being discussed as a short term replacement for Docherty with the new rules permitting a club to do so right up until the start of the season.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I've found the three sets of videos so far (GWS, Carlton and St Kilda) really interesting but agree they dont always show the clubs in a flattering light. Just interesting the different values and thoughts they go through. Clearly there is a much greater difference in who they rate than the general group think we see.

Also the videos do show how bad the AFL is at setting up systems like phones.

Massively agree Richo comes across as a poor coach. Was funny to see the comments about him under pressure

I’ve heard talk from a connected person at Carlton that Brendan Goddard’s is seriously being discussed as a short term replacement for Docherty with the new rules permitting a club to do so right up until the start of the season.
That move makes sense to me. It is a one year only type deal designed to fill a gap. A bit like the Bombers top up players, albeit on a reduced scale.

Goddard grew up a Blues supporter iirc.

That move makes sense to me. It is a one year only type deal designed to fill a gap. A bit like the Bombers top up players, albeit on a reduced scale.

Goddard grew up a Blues supporter iirc.

On a talent perspective for sure, but the bloke hardly seems any good for a culture. I'd hope Nic Newman being recruited was for this very reason.

On a talent perspective for sure, but the bloke hardly seems any good for a culture. I'd hope Nic Newman being recruited was for this very reason.
I think he gets a bad rap for his cultural impact. From all reports, he prepares professionally and demands the same from his teammates. Might be what Carlton needs, particularly with a co-captain going down.

I think he gets a bad rap for his cultural impact. From all reports, he prepares professionally and demands the same from his teammates. Might be what Carlton needs, particularly with a co-captain going down.

You may be right, but I think the fact no club would give him a spot on their list - rookie or otherwise - despite still having the ability to play doesn't give me the impression he will offer something positive for a developing team.

I suppose they could do worse, but it goes to show a glaring lack of depth.

You may be right, but I think the fact no club would give him a spot on their list - rookie or otherwise - despite still having the ability to play doesn't give me the impression he will offer something positive for a developing team.

I suppose they could do worse, but it goes to show a glaring lack of depth.
Think his age has more to do with the lack of interest than anything else. Not many 33 year olds get picked up once delisted. Hodge is a bit of a freak in that regard and, even then, we were clearly a special case given the Fagan connection. Ablett is another one, I guess.

Back