Status
Not open for further replies.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well played Norf!

I think it’s possibly because of Polec getting delisted then rookied that made GC think they could do the same. The difference is nobody wants to pay Polec’s contract so it’s a safe bet, whereas Greenwood is a quality player who isn’t on a ridiculous contract.

I feel sorry for GC.

I like their players and Dew as a coach but the club is Neeld era Dees level incompetent

Would love if Peter Jackson went up there and sorted the joint out (and they got Clarko).

They can't keep going on like this
Dew is a shocking coach. He's no Neeld, but he's not much better.

Dew is a shocking coach. He's no Neeld, but he's not much better.
Think that's pretty stiff on Dew.
Both took over clubs that were broken on and off field, Dew has at least had the Suns playing good footy for brief periods. Neeld was woeful every week. Aside from one sloppy win in the wet against Essendon he couldn't get within Cooee of a non-u/19s team.
The Suns as a whole have never done more than tread water. They've been unlucky with injury at times, but they've never seemed to have a coherent plan on what they're doing.

Lyon was 26yo when GC left him. Greenwood will be 30 before the start of next season, is coming off a pretty nasty injury and just isn’t that good - it’s embarrassing for GC but i doubt they’re too upset about him leaving to be paid $500k a year by North for the next two years, which he definitely isn’t worth.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lyon was 26yo when GC left him. Greenwood will be 30 before the start of next season, is coming off a pretty nasty injury and just isn’t that good - it’s embarrassing for GC but i doubt they’re too upset about him leaving to be paid $500k a year by North for the next two years, which he definitely isn’t worth.
He was a top 3-5 player at Gold Coast and is a walk-in best 22 player at Norf, part of the leadership group already too apparently. I don’t think $400-$500k is a bad price for that.

I also find it funny now Gold Coast get a little wiggle room with the salary cap they’ve gone and signed Touk Miller on a massive 5 year deal the very next day. I wonder how big the overs were on that juicy contract, absolute shambles of a footy department.

He was a top 3-5 player at Gold Coast and is a walk-in best 22 player at Norf, part of the leadership group already too apparently. I don’t think $400-$500k is a bad price for that.

I also find it funny now Gold Coast get a little wiggle room with the salary cap they’ve gone and signed Touk Miller on a massive 5 year deal the very next day. I wonder how big the overs were on that juicy contract, absolute shambles of a footy department.
Touk deserves a payday. He's a genuine gun for them.
Agree though that they do waste money chasing anyone who agrees to come to them (Ellis, Atkins etc). That and picking up flakey, but talented, blokes like JMartin and Rankine doesn't really help with building a strong list.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah Touk definitely deserves to be rewarded, I rate him.

Those crazy inflated contracts Norf were offering to try luring a marquee player from another club, that’s the kind of contract I’m assuming GC just put in front of him to desperately get it done ASAP. That would be overs and a massive mistake IMO, nice payday for Miller though.

It comes across like their footy department spends all day at the beach then realise late in the arvo they need to catch up on work.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nearly every player has an agent trying to get the fattest contract they possibly can (we are lucky Gawn is an exception to that).

I read it like the timing is odd, like trying to save face with PR. They’ve just said bugger it, we want good news for the members right now and there’s a bit of money freed up from Greenwood going- give the money Touk’s agent is asking.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mitch Duncan on Geelong's 2022 pre-season; "it feels like a new club" :rolleyes:

Sorry Mitch. Its still the same bunch of geriatric has-beens. just a year older lol

This is almost Loony bin material.

Cats jettison a bunch of coaches that were ex players at the Cats and replace them with...other ex-players in Kelly and Egan.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’m locking this thread now because I’m an attention seeker, and directing you to the new general footy chat thread at:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back