MFC Fans Only Non-MFC related footy chat 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine being Collingwood right now. Basically traded the more than the equivalent of Brayshaw, Langdon, Pickett while paying 300K salary for a a teens pick and a second.

The fallout from this should be as big as we have seen.

Imagine being Collingwood right now. Basically traded the more than the equivalent of Brayshaw, Langdon, Pickett while paying 300K salary for a a teens pick and a second.

The fallout from this should be as big as we have seen.
Wtf is going on over there? Sure they didn't do as well as they would have liked this year but it just feels like they are pushing out quality players for no real reason.

Wtf is going on over there? Sure they didn't do as well as they would have liked this year but it just feels like they are pushing out quality players for no real reason.
Seems its all poor salary planning? You get stuck with too much on the books, you've almost got to pay clubs to take the player's contract off you.

But it also highlight how you can only have so many players on top coin who don't perform.

Seems its all poor salary planning? You get stuck with too much on the books, you've almost got to pay clubs to take the player's contract off you.

But it also highlight how you can only have so many players on top coin who don't perform.
Honestly think this is it. They’ve been boxing themselves in salary-wise for years, and now they have to take dramatic action on very recently negotiated contracts to keep up. It’s wild to watch though

Just to complete the year that we’ll never see anything like again, Collingwood put in the worst trade period that there will ever be.

Although they clearly won’t own up to it if Ned Guy’s pathetic media showings is anything to go by, they clearly dug themselves a sizeable TPP hole with a firesale being the only way out. They apparently saw an opportunity to replenish their list with draft talent ... they added Pick 14 to their existing 16, and then don’t have another pick until 65!!

I generally find Treloar enormously overrated, but with that deal, following the completely arbitrary draft points guide, with the raft of picks they sent back, it values him at pick 68, a net gain of 58 points (basing the futures off this years rankings)

Last edited:
Ned Guy has insisted it was about getting early draft picks which I believe, they would’ve got atleast pick 5 if Treloar agreed to move to Gold Coast. Add to that what North gave up for Stephenson, it would’ve been a hugely successful haul.

But when Treloar insisted on staying in Victoria at a point where he could no longer remain at the club, that put the Pies into damage control and gave the Bulldogs probably the most lopsided deal I’ve ever seen.

Super ballsy move by Collingwood that completely backfired basically.

Anyone else quietly confident Geelong will fall off a cliff 2022 onwards?
Their list was already right at the top of players in the oldest bracket, then they trade out three firsts and bring in Higgins, Smith and Cameron.

I know I'm betting against history here with the way they've managed to stay up over 15 years, and I'm not even saying going chips in on next year is the wrong play. But even so they're playing with fire from a medium term perspective.

Anyone else quietly confident Geelong will fall off a cliff 2022 onwards?
Their list was already right at the top of players in the oldest bracket, then they trade out three firsts and bring in Higgins, Smith and Cameron.

I know I'm betting against history here with the way they've managed to stay up over 15 years, and I'm not even saying going chips in on next year is the wrong play. But even so they're playing with fire from a medium term perspective.

I want to agree but they keep proving everyone wrong in that aspect. Hard to see their next bunch of elite players coming through after the current crop though.

I want to agree but they keep proving everyone wrong in that aspect. Hard to see their next bunch of elite players coming through after the current crop though.
That's what everyone said last time then they went and got Kelly, Blicavs, Stewart, Menegola, Guthrie, Duncan, Touhy Henry etc for relatively nothing.

Collingwood moving on Treloar was a good decision imo

Bloke is statistically a star but in reality is just an above average footballer.

Having said that whoever signed him to a 5 year $900k a year deal is inept at their job. Also moving Stepehnson on who is only 21 is a strange decision

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood moving on Treloar was a good decision imo

Bloke is statistically a star but in reality is just an above average footballer.

Having said that whoever signed him to a 5 year $900k a year deal is inept at their job. Also moving Stepehnson on who is only 21 is a strange decision

Stephenson is pretty obviously an off field nightmare. You're not getting rid of him if he's not. Massive red flag.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on a strike or two for uncle dougs. North decision to give him a five year deal was extraordinary imo.

Stephenson is pretty obviously an off field nightmare. You're not getting rid of him if he's not. Massive red flag.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on a strike or two for uncle dougs. North decision to give him a five year deal was extraordinary imo.
yeah he must be a ******* mess off the field because getting rid of an Rising Star winner 24 months later is massive

It's funny how the media/football analysts run with the old 'clubs need to be ruthless'. Then when Collingwood goes down this path the same media people jump ship and critisize the club for doing so

Similar to how they want players to not put out the old club lines and to be themselves. Then when you get someone like an Akermanis they jump all over him for speaking his mind

No wonder a lot of players don't trust the vulture campaigners

Ned Guy has insisted it was about getting early draft picks which I believe, they would’ve got atleast pick 5 if Treloar agreed to move to Gold Coast. Add to that what North gave up for Stephenson, it would’ve been a hugely successful haul.

But when Treloar insisted on staying in Victoria at a point where he could no longer remain at the club, that put the Pies into damage control and gave the Bulldogs probably the most lopsided deal I’ve ever seen.

Super ballsy move by Collingwood that completely backfired basically.
Only the biggest Pie Nufies would believe that. Simply damage control by the Pies. Trying to lay blame elsewhere. Bottom line is they had salary cap issues due to poor decisions from Guy. Kind of makes me think of people so deep in debt that keep spending up until the day their stuff starts getting repossessed. Someone had to go. If the Pies didn't dump Treloar, Collingwood supporters would currently be whinging about not being able to re-sign Miochek & De Goey. The fact that Collingwood have been relatively silent shows just what a s**t situation they were in. If I were a Pies supporter I'd be demanding they sack Ned Guy & demanding Eddies resignation.

It's funny how the media/football analysts run with the old 'clubs need to be ruthless'. Then when Collingwood goes down this path the same media people jump ship and critisize the club for doing so

Similar to how they want players to not put out the old club lines and to be themselves. Then when you get someone like an Akermanis they jump all over him for speaking his mind

Yup wouldn't surprise if Collingwood make finals again and everyone forgets this. They needed to clear salary and they did it. Stephenson is a loss unless he's cooked off field, the rest meh. It'll look great if they have a free agent next year locked in.

Ehhh, there's ruthless and then there's what Collingwood are doing. Their draft hand is only marginally better than they started with and they've lost three best 22 players. If it's an issue of cap space then it isn't ruthlessness it's incompetence.

Ehhh, there's ruthless and then there's what Collingwood are doing. Their draft hand is only marginally better than they started with and they've lost three best 22 players. If it's an issue of cap space then it isn't ruthlessness it's incompetence.

Phillips isn't best 22 for them. Stephenson seems to have off field issues and had been dropped.
Treloar was best 22 but they didn't want his contract. When you don't get sucked into the media drama it's not that bad for them especially if Stephenson is as bad as made out. Then you've lost one good but not great midfielder and they've got Daicos and Brown who can fill the void. Reckon they'll be fine.

Phillips isn't best 22 for them. Stephenson seems to have off field issues and had been dropped.
Treloar was best 22 but they didn't want his contract. When you don't get sucked into the media drama it's not that bad for them especially if Stephenson is as bad as made out. Then you've lost one good but not great midfielder and they've got Daicos and Brown who can fill the void. Reckon they'll be fine.

Phillips has played in 83 of Collingwoods last 91 games. Not a star but has been well entrenched in that side for a long time. Don't know much about the Stephenson drama. Still feels like the only positive they got out of this trade period was a bit of cap space.

I think they're going to really regret losing Treloar. Not just for his talent but he's a fantastic clubman who by all reports was loved by the playing group. A public breakup like this wouldn't do a lot for the team morale. ******* up the trust between the playing group and footy department has created major problems for teams in the past.

The whole collingwood situation seems iffy to me, the club to my perspective seems close to self nuking. You have now two basically ex-players stating the coach claimed their teammates wanted them to move on, but they pretty much accuse the coach of it being a lie. If that turns out to be true then you could have a rift between the current playing group and the coach. If i was a player who was close to either of these players how could i trust the coach? No trust, leads to a toxic enviroment and could lead to more players leaving in the future.

Stephenson having off field issues is a weak excuse considering they had prorotised signing another player with major glaring off field issues in De Goey. Take the off field issues away and you've outted a rising star winner off one bad year, when the whole team really had a down year

Something isn't right at collingwood, you got two players with ugly exits accusing the coach of fabricating their relationship status with the playing group. You got sidebottom on walk about. You got De Goey with major off field problems hanging around. Not to mention 'bucks' himself let the club down during the year by breaching covid protocles when his players barring sidebottom had been pretty well behaved in the hub

The collingwood enviroment right now is too self destructive despite the playing talent of their list imo

Phillips has played in 83 of Collingwoods last 91 games. Not a star but has been well entrenched in that side for a long time. Don't know much about the Stephenson drama. Still feels like the only positive they got out of this trade period was a bit of cap space.

I think they're going to really regret losing Treloar. Not just for his talent but he's a fantastic clubman who by all reports was loved by the playing group. A public breakup like this wouldn't do a lot for the team morale. ******* up the trust between the playing group and footy department has created major problems for teams in the past.
Was dropped to finish the year and didn't play either finals. Doesn't matter what happened 3 years ago he wasn't in the best side come finals.

Again those 3 blokes don't make or break Collingwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back