MFC Fans Only Non-MFC related footy chat 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surprised Beams still has his premiership medal and didnt gamble it away by now.

Grundy signed on for 7 years. Really looking forward to the mention of toasted ham and cheese sandwiches every time he goes near it. BT must be licking his lips.
When i first saw it, I was like wow! 7 years is a bloody long contract. Hope it bites them on the a$$. But it's savvy from the Pies. They have signed up a very valuable asset for a long period of time. Even if Grundy wants to go home in 3 or 4 years, the contract will mean another team will have to pay big $$ to even think about it. The only risk is injury. And like Buddy with Sydney, i don't think the Swans have gotten the return they were hoping on field with that mega contract. They rarely work out great for the club, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Collingwood don't win a flag in the next few years, this could end up looking bad. But well done to them for locking in a top 20 player.

7 years is steep but players like Grundy don’t grow on trees. They’d just want to be careful not to wear him out. If he plays 90% ruck every week his body might not hold up. You’d think they’ve factored in contracts for JDG and Moore. But you might see some other players fall out in the next couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still so confused by the thread title

😕
join the club.

MFC only fans to not talk about the MFC involving MFC vision?

Or have the players lost their vision and can't see anything?

Or is my visibility not as good and is getting worse? Don't judge me please!
Fair points, well made.

So signing the best ruckman in the comp to a long term deal isn't a success? Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

They rarely work out great for the club, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Collingwood don't win a flag in the next few years, this could end up looking bad. But well done to them for locking in a top 20 player.

🤔

Gawn is probably too old for a 7 year contract, but If the club signed Oliver for 7 years, would you be happy with that? I think I would. I think tying up a top 2 or 3 player from your club long term makes the supporter feel satisfied. I'm just not sure it would be deemed a success unless a premiership was won in that time. But i feel the Pies have done well by locking Grundy, an AA player away for a long time. Long contracts like this get scrutinised more such as Buddy's contract. 7 years into his contract for no premierships. Successful off field maybe by bringing fans in to see him play and sparking media interest, but it hasn't transferred to success onfield.

Gawn is probably too old for a 7 year contract, but If the club signed Oliver for 7 years, would you be happy with that? I think I would. I think tying up a top 2 or 3 player from your club long term makes the supporter feel satisfied. I'm just not sure it would be deemed a success unless a premiership was won in that time. But i feel the Pies have done well by locking Grundy, an AA player away for a long time. Long contracts like this get scrutinised more such as Buddy's contract. 7 years into his contract for no premierships. Successful off field maybe by bringing fans in to see him play and sparking media interest, but it hasn't transferred to success onfield.

Personally, I think some of the contract lengths being thrown around are ridiculous. Take Buddy's 9 year contract for example, bloke is similar to GAJ at the minute as he's cooked and will likely only play ~11 games this year (Not to mention he's got 3 years remaining which he'll likely retire soonish and get the remainder of it paid out).

Plus as we've seen countless times recently, players that even have 2-3 years remaining on their contracts decide out of nowhere that they want to explore their options.

Personally, I think some of the contract lengths being thrown around are ridiculous. Take Buddy's 9 year contract for example, bloke is similar to GAJ at the minute as he's cooked and will likely only play ~11 games this year (Not to mention he's got 3 years remaining which he'll likely retire soonish and get the remainder of it paid out).

Plus as we've seen countless times recently, players that even have 2-3 years remaining on their contracts decide out of nowhere that they want to explore their options.
Could this be part of the reason why clubs backend contracts? To make it less appealing for another club to poach? I mean if Buddy wanted to leave end of last season, some club would have to pay 1.2mil to acquire him. It's also very hard to predict where your club will be at in a few years let alone 7 or 9. Nothing guarantees a flag, but locking away your best playerlong term has to give you a good shot at it. So I'd be happy right now as a Pies fan.

I mean if Buddy wanted to leave end of last season, some club would have to pay 1.2mil to acquire him.
If Buddy wanted to move in the trade period, I reckon the Swans would have accepted offers that included their paying part of Buddy's salary for the next year or two. They'd love to have that cap space back.

I don't know if i was reading the bottom part of your post wrong because I thought you were saying it was a failure if they don't win a flag? I think it's a good deal for them. If they had signed him to 3 and then 4 they would have paid way more. This way its locked in.

Buddy couldn't have done any more for Sydney really, it's not his fault his teammates had a s**t Granny, he played pretty well actually. One player doesn't win flags for teams. The grounds too big for that.

Could this be part of the reason why clubs backend contracts? To make it less appealing for another club to poach?
If they weren't already, I think it'd come into play now, with the likes of Beams and Hill taking big front ended contracts to leave their original club, only to do a runner when the salary starts to drop.

Don't want a huge political debate but I reckon Australia Day should be changed. 90% of white Australians probably couldn't even tell ya where the first fleet landed.
There's alot of sooking in the world about nothing but this one seems pretty justified to me. I couldn't even tell ya the date of Australia Day until I was mid 20s. Just knew there was a piss up in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back