MFC Fans Only Non-MFC related footy chat 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone can get ****ed, I've been saying the games been going to s**t for years and it's taken everyone this long to figure it out.
Get stuffed.

Stoppages have risen by 20 a game since 05

This one is the most damning. Every team used to score from about half of their inside 50s. Now no one does.
Games fair dinkum ****ed.

I'm at the point where I couldn't give a stuff if they added zones, couldn't possible make it worse
20200701_082300_HDR.jpg 20200701_083013.jpg 20200701_082958.jpg

Everyone can get f’ed, I've been saying the games been going to sh*t for years and it's taken everyone this long to figure it out.
Get stuffed.

This one is the most damning. Every team used to score from about half of their inside 50s. Now no one does.
Games fair dinkum f’ed.

I'm at the point where I couldn't give a stuff if they added zones, couldn't possible make it worse
View attachment 904237View attachment 904238View attachment 904239
"* everyone for agreeing with me."

What a strange reaction

Yes nick was the first person to realise the game was 'going to s**t'...when everyone in the media has been complaining about it and the AFL has changed about a dozen rules to try ease congestion.

It's not going to happen. It needs to get worse before it can get better. We were a ridiculously high scoring team in 2018, and since they made it 6-6-6 we haven't fired a shot. Not hard to see that changing the rules just helps the teams who want to turn it into a slog fest. Keep the rules as they are, and we'll start seeing 0-0 draws, and then coaches will realise that outscoring their opponents is a viable way to win games.

Yes nick was the first person to realise the game was 'going to sh*t'...when everyone in the media has been complaining about it and the AFL has changed about a dozen rules to try ease congestion.

It's not going to happen. It needs to get worse before it can get better. We were a ridiculously high scoring team in 2018, and since they made it 6-6-6 we haven't fired a shot. Not hard to see that changing the rules just helps the teams who want to turn it into a slog fest. Keep the rules as they are, and we'll start seeing 0-0 draws, and then coaches will realise that outscoring their opponents is a viable way to win games.

There is nothing wrong with changing the rules if the changes actually force teams to change their style of play away from defensive slogfests, but the AFL are too pussy to make any significant change to the rules. What was the point of an interchange cap that went from 120 to 80? Instead of a player coming off every minute you have a player coming off every minute and a half. Deliberate OOB only affects the ball that isn't already in congestion because it's easy to knock the ball over the line 'accidentally' when there are 20 players around it. 6-6-6 is useless when no teams are kicking goals.

Until the AFL give someone the power to actually make significant changes that force teams away from crowding the footy and kicking around the boundary line the spectacle will continue to deteriorate.

It was good to see OTC use some stats this week, even if it was only brief. The had a graphic on rotations and interestingly the league average was around 40 in 2005. I think champion data began counting it in 2002, so no idea what rotations were like from before the 4 man bench era before 98, but you would think it would have been pretty low.

I didn't buy in to the reducing rotations argument initially, because the AFL were changing so many rules at the same time it is really difficult to measure if it would make an impact. I also thought recruiters would go for even better runners so they could stay on the park and still reach contests, rather than picking good footy players.

But with the reduced quarters its really solidified my opinion that they need to be reduced drastically and umpires need to be instructed to call ball ups quicker, get rid of ruck nomination and throw the ball up quicker.

Reduce rotations and/ or reduced bench. Make getting to contests harder. Make it harder because there are less opportunities to rest on the bench and because ball ups are called and thrown up quickly.

The AFL wanted to reduce stoppage numbers by preventing secondary stoppages, which has greatly contributed to congestion as umps wait for the ball to spill out. Now they wait for ruckmen to run over and huge groups can form. Bluelegs is right, we can't f around and reduce rotations by a 5th it needs to be drastically reduced. There is a threshold where staying in position is more effective than choosing a player than can run really far. We need to tip the scales in that direction. Zones could work but the way it would be implemented would be a farce. Make it so hard for players to run that staying in your half of the ground de facto come back in vogue.

It was good to see OTC use some stats this week, even if it was only brief. The had a graphic on rotations and interestingly the league average was around 40 in 2005. I think champion data began counting it in 2002, so no idea what rotations were like from before the 4 man bench era before 98, but you would think it would have been pretty low.

I didn't buy in to the reducing rotations argument initially, because the AFL were changing so many rules at the same time it is really difficult to measure if it would make an impact. I also thought recruiters would go for even better runners so they could stay on the park and still reach contests, rather than picking good footy players.

But with the reduced quarters its really solidified my opinion that they need to be reduced drastically and umpires need to be instructed to call ball ups quicker, get rid of ruck nomination and throw the ball up quicker.

Reduce rotations and/ or reduced bench. Make getting to contests harder. Make it harder because there are less opportunities to rest on the bench and because ball ups are called and thrown up quickly.

The AFL wanted to reduce stoppage numbers by preventing secondary stoppages, which has greatly contributed to congestion as umps wait for the ball to spill out. Now they wait for ruckmen to run over and huge groups can form. Bluelegs is right, we can't f around and reduce rotations by a 5th it needs to be drastically reduced. There is a threshold where staying in position is more effective than choosing a player than can run really far. We need to tip the scales in that direction. Zones could work but the way it would be implemented would be a farce. Make it so hard for players to run that staying in your half of the ground de facto come back in vogue.
Good points, particularly re the ruck changes. Getting rid of nominations can speed up stoppages and if they let 3rd men up again then there's the opportunity for teams to use that to clear the stoppage easily (or if they nuff it the oppo has an extra loose they could use to clear it).

Last edited:
Everyone can get f’ed, I've been saying the games been going to sh*t for years and it's taken everyone this long to figure it out.
Get stuffed.

Games fair dinkum f’ed.

I'm not sure there's much the AFL can do right now, everything they do causes unintended and unforeseen consequences. It's just the nature of the game at the moment that being defensive, clogging up the ball and sweating on turnovers wins games.

It seems since Sydney in 2005, most coaches have continued to concentrate on counter attacking as the most efficient way to score goals. So whether it's stack the back line, stack the forward line once you get the ball there, or stack the midfield and tackle tackle tackle, it's all designed to cause a turnover and score quickly and efficiently by catching the opposition on the front foot.

It's evolved to a point where no one wants to be caught off guard on the counter attack and there's a default to a defensive slog fest and it obviously becomes much harder to score.

Good read by McLure, I'd imagine that stupid camp Goodwin wanted late 2017 would have been similar s**t. They're footballers, not ******* SAS in training.

Good read by McLure, I'd imagine that stupid camp Goodwin wanted late 2017 would have been similar sh*t. They're footballers, not ******* SAS in training.
Adelaide got to a grand final the year after their coach was murdered. Which genius thought they lacked 'mental resillience'?

Good read by McLure, I'd imagine that stupid camp Goodwin wanted late 2017 would have been similar sh*t. They're footballers, not ******* SAS in training.

Geez what ever happened to simply finding a hill and doing repeated hill sprints to build resilience and mental strength

Geez what ever happened to simply finding a hill and doing repeated hill sprints to build resilience and mental strength
Can't charge $2,000/head to run up a hill!

This camp malarky shows how ridiculous the $$$ in the game is. Wouldn't have been that cheap to get in these 'consultants' and their psuedo psychology bullshit. Bit like how half the comp flew to Arizona for altitude training each off-season while Geelong went to Mt. Hotham for better results in the season.

Maybe Covid will kill these horseshit businesses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stuff like this is the reason I hate WC more than any club in the AFL, what a bunch of w***ers, dont forget youd still be a nobody if it wasn't for the VFL...hope the AFL give the granny to Queensland. 👍

Stuff like this is the reason I hate WC more than any club in the AFL, what a bunch of w***ers, dont forget youd still be a nobody if it wasn't for the VFL...hope the AFL give the granny to Queensland. 👍

The WA papers are probably the worst with how they play up their victim complex.

Was funny last week when they could no longer go with Vic Bias they had to change it to East Coast Bias.

The WA papers are probably the worst with how they play up their victim complex.

Was funny last week when they could no longer go with Vic Bias they had to change it to East Coast Bias.
WA in general is a bit like that. Every year re GST, how much tax they make, MiNiNg keeping the economy afloat etc.

Yeah, they've got a real chip on their shoulder in WA. I remember watching a game on the telly in Bali and they had the WA stream on. At half-time there was an ad for an insurance company showing some battler in Perth calling up their current insurance company based in Sydney and it cuts to the Sydney office and they're all just getting pissed and ignore the phone call. Unintentionally made the guy from WA look like a real loser actually ...

Fremantle star Jesse Hogan isn’t far from returning to Justin Longmuir’s side.
But don’t expect the former Demon to be slotting bags of goals for fun, with the Dockers keen to trial the new in a new role down back.

Topkent
Inb4 vol. MMCLXXIV of the 'shouldn't've done the Hoges/May trades' as we could've just played him down back!
Reckon he could be handy there, gives him a simpler job - to just beat his man, rather than be the main man up forward. Has been very ordinary up front for Freo so far and Tabener is coming on well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back