Game Day Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunter Clark is a good player but I feel like he gets caught HTB a helluva lot.

Membrey setting the world alight against a top 8 team. Overrated flat track bully.

Maybe. My angst with Membrey is basically who would you have rather had in the 2016 GF? Membrey of X Richards.

Didnt do much to keep him

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Well, St Kilda back in no man's land. Not going to make finals and not going to be worse than the bottom few.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Saints are going to be the most Ying-Yang team this season I reckon. They're either great or bloody awful....I will be very very ticked off if they decide to be 'great' when we play them
Even when they were great they got 33 points behind West Coast. Can't see them doing anything important this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If this year does end up becoming our rebound, then there are plenty of cautionary tales around of young sides who have fallen as quickly as they rose: Bulldogs after 2016, Melbourne after 2018, St Kilda & Brisbane this year...
It's fascinating how fast teams drop off. Makes Richmond's continued competitiveness even more remarkable.

You just have to drag yourself to top 4 and anything can happen from there.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
If this year does end up becoming our rebound, then there are plenty of cautionary tales around of young sides who have fallen as quickly as they rose: Bulldogs after 2016, Melbourne after 2018, St Kilda & Brisbane this year...
StKilda’s list is average. Recruited decent mature aged players but when you look at their high draft picks who are the stars?

It's fascinating how fast teams drop off. Makes Richmond's continued competitiveness even more remarkable.

You just have to drag yourself to top 4 and anything can happen from there.

They're a pretty experienced team though. And in some cases (the Bulldogs and maybe Melbourne this year), they get back to the top after a few years. But it seems like for a young side backing up a strong year seems just as hard as having that strong year in the first place.

But yep you're right, you've gotta rise to fall, and I'd much rather be in September action dealing with greater expectations than out of it!

StKilda’s list is average. Recruited decent mature aged players but when you look at their high draft picks who are the stars?

Yeah, but they looked pretty handy last year. They probably had every right to believe their young players would get better with another year under their belt... not sure that's been the case.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah, but they looked pretty handy last year. They probably had every right to believe their young players would get better with another year under their belt... not sure that's been the case.
Saints have the oldest list in the comp (third most experienced by games). They have traded most of their high draft picks out in recent years to trade in the likes of Hill etc. So their younger players are probably at best only ever going to be b graders (except for King). They didn’t rise the up the ladder on a base of youth like Brisbane.

Saints have the oldest list in the comp (third most experienced by games). They have traded most of their high draft picks out in recent years to trade in the likes of Hill etc. So their younger players are probably at best only ever going to be b graders (except for King). They didn’t rise the up the ladder on a base of youth like Brisbane.

I don't think Brisbane did either. They rose on the back of their trade recruits and existing veterans. But both teams had plenty of young players they would've had a right to believe would continue to develop and sustain their run near the top.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
For St Kilda I think They pulled the trigger on trying to contend too quickly. On the other hand I don’t blame Brisbane for what they did in the offseason. Top 2 in the past 2 years with a SF and PF appearance to show for it. They tried something different, tried to get a potential #1 KPF which they did in Daniher. Trying to push for a premiership. It just hasn’t worked out so far. Not sure if the new rules are affecting them.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
OP of Saints autopsy thread is a interesting one....:eekv1::laughv1:
Can't decide between;
nothing to see here.jpg

or

bagdad-bob.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back