Universal Love Non Vic-based supporters - Tassie final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Love :heart:

Been massive this year. Huge in Perth (it was actually more noticeable against the Eagles than the Tigers I thought)… I read somewhere we have 3000 members in WA?

Then yesterday… Hawthorn have been pouring resources into Launceston for over 15 years. Four home games a year, dragging wired players down there the day after GF wins to do a family day. We rock up for one game and outnumber them.

It’s very, very noticeable on TV.

I went to one of our games against Brisbane at the Gabba a few years back and the Essendon contingent in the crowd was huge compared to what you’d expect.

I think it’s a big deal and certainly would make a difference to our team when they can go to hostile environments like Optus Stadium and there’s a genuine Essendon presence.

Hopefully the club realises it and manages to give you some sort of event / clinic when in town (obviously hard at the moment with COVID).

I think it would be nice if essendon hosted a home game or two interstate against a club not from that state. Whether it be your dreamtime/ANZAC game or just west coast and essendon playing at the scg.

Been massive this year. Huge in Perth (it was actually more noticeable against the Eagles than the Tigers I thought)… I read somewhere we have 3000 members in WA?

Then yesterday… Hawthorn have been pouring resources into Launceston for over 15 years. Four home games a year, dragging wired players down there the day after GF wins to do a family day. We rock up for one game and outnumber them.

It has been very noticeable this year and I made a comment similar in the review thread. It has made watching our interstate games on TV much more enjoyable this year with the amount of Essendon supporters in the stands, creating a great atmosphere and giving the team a lot of energy as well. It has made a difference and kudos to all the supporters in those places.

I wonder if it would work financially to play an "invitational" against another club in Perth each year. Could switch it around a little rather than a fixed opponent. Dont think we are going to want to lose big home games that would normally be at the G (such as Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood when it is not Dreamtime or Anzac Day). Not sure if there are particular clubs that might have surprisingly big supporter base there outside the big clubs. Would come down to whether make more money playing Cats at G or Optus or Kangas at Marvel or Optus etc.

I went to one of our games against Brisbane at the Gabba a few years back and the Essendon contingent in the crowd was huge compared to what you’d expect.

I think it’s a big deal and certainly would make a difference to our team when they can go to hostile environments like Optus Stadium and there’s a genuine Essendon presence.

Hopefully the club realises it and manages to give you some sort of event / clinic when in town (obviously hard at the moment with COVID).
Essendon have 4,000 WA members incidentally.

Agree with your post, it’s been one of the unexpected little surprises out of this year, Essendon fans across the country coming out in droves to watch the Bombers take their roadshow to all parts of the country.

Essendon, with Collingwood are the two biggest clubs in the AFL. This clubs nationwide support is unrivalled and gives the players an enormous lift when playing interstate. The scenes in Launceston and Perth in recent weeks have been amazing to witness.

It also provides the club a great challenge to find ways to better connect with our nationwide support. How do we make them feel more connected? How can we get them more involved? How to we tap into this vast support around the country to grow the clubs membership well beyond 100,000?

Im sure the club have been taken aback by these scenes on the road this year and the biggest congratulations go to the Bomber fans who’ve shown Australia that Essendon remains arguably the most popular club in the AFL.

I think it would be nice if essendon hosted a home game or two interstate against a club not from that state. Whether it be your dreamtime/ANZAC game or just west coast and essendon playing at the scg.
How can Essendon work with interstate clubs and stadiums to unlock more seats at interstate games?

Home away from home idea is an interesting one. Take one conveniently fixtured home match where no actual home advantage exists (smaller Melbourne based sides) and play it at a heaving Optus in front of a crowd as heavily weighted towards us as any match at marvel would be. As a WA based supporter I can tell you that if the Dons are playing in town, I’m there.

Yep would love a game in Hobart. Hard to see it happening without Covid though. There was 8k at our Gws game in Sydney you'd double that in Hobart easy. Afl would never support it though as Tasmania market they couldn't give a crap about. They'd rather have soulless games in Gold Coast in front of 3-4k people. In the end it's all about money.

Yep would love a game in Hobart. Hard to see it happening without Covid though. There was 8k at our Gws game in Sydney you'd double that in Hobart easy. Afl would never support it though as Tasmania market they couldn't give a crap about. They'd rather have soulless games in Gold Coast in front of 3-4k people. In the end it's all about money.
We play in front of more than 3-4k when we play on the Gold Coast, apart from last year.

if hawthorne ever pull out of launy - which they might after the travesty of being out supported yesterday after all the groundwork they have supposedly laid.... - id love to get down and play 4 home games a year down there, seems like every one in the north has red and black in their blood, Ulverstone bombers, north Launceston bombers - lets get in on some of the ref and black tas action

We play in front of more than 3-4k when we play on the Gold Coast, apart from last year.
Maybe so but still has zero atmosphere on TV. It's probably the only time I've ever watched the bombers and got bored. You can't manufacture what happened yesterday no matter how much money they pump in and how much they gut the draft for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if hawthorne ever pull out of launy - which they might after the travesty of being out supported yesterday after all the groundwork they have supposedly laid.... - id love to get down and play 4 home games a year down there, seems like every one in the north has red and black in their blood, Ulverstone bombers, north Launceston bombers - lets get in on some of the ref and black tas action
Crowd looked at least 80% us. How embarrassing for the dorks.

I'd be okay with the odd one-off interstate home game, but not something regular. I don't like clubs selling home games but as the odd event I'm okay with it.

We'd be better off buying some seats off the home club I think if we think we can pull a crowd. Try to get a crowd of 5,000 Bombers at a Perth game for example. Find a way to get that capacity off the hosts and put on a really good show with pre or post match events.

In any case the AFL don't allow clubs to sell home games to "established" markets (Vic, SA, WA)... the concern being rich clubs like West Coast and Adelaide could just buy games off small clubs.

Hobart is an interesting one. Norf pull s**t crowds there. I'm sure there'd be something in it for us if we offered to be the away team in one of their Hobart games. We'd pack it out so there's something in it for Norf and Tassie, it'd have to be made attractive though.

I'd be okay with the odd one-off interstate home game, but not something regular. I don't like clubs selling home games but as the odd event I'm okay with it.

We'd be better off buying some seats off the home club I think if we think we can pull a crowd. Try to get a crowd of 5,000 Bombers at a Perth game for example. Find a way to get that capacity off the hosts and put on a really good show with pre or post match events.

In any case the AFL don't allow clubs to sell home games to "established" markets (Vic, SA, WA)... the concern being rich clubs like West Coast and Adelaide could just buy games off small clubs.

Hobart is an interesting one. Norf pull sh*t crowds there. I'm sure there'd be something in it for us if we offered to be the away team in one of their Hobart games. We'd pack it out so there's something in it for Norf and Tassie, it'd have to be made attractive though.
Yeah problem is Norf get 30k home gate on Melbourne but would only get Max 20k in Hobart. That's why they bring gws down because nobody would go to either location and our government chips in a bunch of cash. Lose lose really. Barely got a few thousand the other week. What's the point.

How many Tasmanians go to a hawks/norf game just because there is a game on?

No way. Why would Essendon believe this is in the interests of the vast majority of its members and supporters. That’s not a viable option.

Hobart is an interesting one. Norf pull sh*t crowds there. I'm sure there'd be something in it for us if we offered to be the away team in one of their Hobart games. We'd pack it out so there's something in it for Norf and Tassie, it'd have to be made attractive though.
Correct. How can we collaborate with and invest in the interstate fixtures to make them bigger and better, in return for 2-3,000 more seats for our supporters??

Hard pass

When North and Hawthorn leave, I think it would be amazing to have 1 home game in Tassie a year. Switched from Hobart to Launceston year to year. With potentially a pre-season in Burnie, Devonport, Glenorchy or Kingston.

If you can turn it into a fortress that's gives you 16 points in the bank each season that's a handy shove into finals, bigger picture it might work even if melb home fans can't go to a few games each year. Greater good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back