jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Just listened to a podcast (Fan Grrrls), who interviewed Kasey Simons who is the editor of the womens version of the Footy Almanac. Turns out she has been a mad keen Eagles supporter her whole life, despite being a born and bred Victorian. They also mentioned an immigrant to Vic from Ireland who became a mad Eagles supporter to the point his daughters first word was Sumich.

It made me realise I had always assumed that Eagles supporters outside WA were relocated Sandgropers, but some are actually not.

How widespread is this, do people know of many Eagles supporters who are not from WA?

Is there any effort from the Eagles to recruit or connect outside WA?

Grew up in Melbourne and went to WA for a look when I was young, loved it and stayed many years. Started supporting the Eagles from day 1 and still do despite being back in Melbs for a long time now. Hubby and kids all Melbourne based Eagles even though hubby was born and bred in Fremantle :relaxed:

Melbourne born and bred, now living in NYC - big Eagles fan!
Started following Eagles at 4-5 years old when Eagles made the GF's '91, '92, '94 - thought these guys were 'THE BEST' (esp. Matera) and followed ever since... add to that a house with Dad and older Bro as Hawks supporters!

One thing that always perplexes me is when commentators say opposition supporters flew over for the game. How do they even know that? I always assumed most opposition supporters at an Eagles game, or Eagles supporters in games played in other states, are simply locals who go for that team. Maybe a few fly over, but I find it hard to believe they all did.

Have lived in Melbourne ever since my family immigrated to Australia in the early 90's. Have never lived in Perth and in fact only ever spent 2 nights there.
Not sure why I actually fell in love with the eagles, but I remember in particular idolising Jakovich and Matera. Jako was a beast and Matera was just exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Born in Radelaide. Still here.

Started following the Eagles in 91 the Crows first year after dad took us to the MCG for their first game there.
We used to go to Nonnas house every Sunday and back then you had two big games on Sunday and we featured heavily.
Just loved our tough players, the Eagles, the colours.

Been to Perth twice. Need to get back again soon to sample the new stadium

Born and bred in Melbourne.
Have not stepped foot in WA in my life.
Picked the Eagles during primary school for a number of reasons.

This. But replace born and bred in VIC with SA. I live in VIC now, but picked the Eagles in the early 90s as a bandwagonning little s**t and it has worked out pretty well for me!

Similar to a lot these supporters. Born and raised in Victoria and chose Eagles just before the 87 season when in primary school. Used to go for Fitzroy but loved Eagles colours more. Stuck with them ever since.
Took me until 2015 to get to my first game at Subi and second this year against Dogs. I'm used to going to footy with a handful of other Eagles fans, my two games in Perth were amazing.

Born and raised in Melbourne.
I chose West Coast in primary school for no particular reason. Cannot complain as if I followed in the footsteps of my Dad, I'd be a Carlton supporter.

I've never even been to WA.

Wow, this is awesome - seem to be a few of us golden-era-Melbourne-primary-school-followers, who have never set foot in W.A!

NXak.gif

Seeing this thread and all the responses has finally given me the kick in the rear to finally sign up and post.

Been a massive eagles supporter since the early 90's after seeing them in one of their early grand final parades - hated the geelong supporters so decided id go for the other team. Based in the Illawarra so only really get to see them play live against the Sydney teams and have only seen them play at home once against Adelaide in '15.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back