Independent Wrestling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Before the action got underway, Bully Ray came out to pump up the crowd, doing a good job of suggesting tonight's show may be something a little more special than usual as more people would be watching. Crowd gave him a "hall of fame" chant.

Punishment Martinez vs Flip Gordon was ok, but not a great deal more. Very derivative at times, but a decent opener. Strangely, for someone with high-flying offense, Flip looked very uncomfortable on the top rope (it may have been something about the ropes), but he did pull off a nice 450 splash towards the end (which probably should have been enough to win). Martinez is your standard 6-6 guy with sufficient variety to suggest that Vince would probably love him.

Kenny King vs Shane Taylor was fairly meh. Taylor has the weirdest body shape I've ever seen on a man. The commentators were saying he'd recently lost about 80 pounds; well, none of that came from his hips & thighs, that's for sure. King does his usual offensive stuff and it's entertaining enough.

EMMA IS IN ROH under her real name Tenille Dashwood! And Bully Ray says she's gonna wrestle tonight!

Silas Young vs Josh Woods also started fairly meh. Woods has the stereotypical MMA gimmick that is rather boring, while Young's "Last Real Man" persona goes down a hoot with the live crowd (complete with sidekick Beer City Bruiser at ringside - who hit a great beer can/bottle shot at one point). The closing sequence was actually pretty good. I think starting out with 3 singles matches wasn't a great idea though... Felt like the show needed a tag match here.

Daniels, Kazarian & Scorpio Sky vs Dalton Castle & The Boys is up next. Lots of comedy spots early on. For the most part, the match felt like one big comedy spot. Daniels is always funny & Kazarian plays his sidekick well enough. I barely took in Scorpio Sky for the entire match, so couldn't tell you what he's all about. First time I'd ever seen the ROH World Champ Castle and he looked good for the most part, but it was tough to tell how good from this match. The Boys basically are the Singh Brothers, just not Indian.

INTERMISSION. What is this... A theatre show?

Last edited:

That Intermission felt like it went forever!

The Briscoe Brothers come out, yell at the crowd and tell us that they've recently injured Chris Sabin so bad that he can't compete tonight. FFS, the one team I was looking forward to see. Alex Shelley comes out like an idiot & gets beat up. Ugh.

Womens tag match up next. Funny thing at the start is a commentator correcting the ring announcer when announcing "MELBOURNE". "It's not Melllll Borne" Haha. Match was ok since it was always on the move, but it had the usual clunkiness that a lot of womens matches have. Emma did ok.

Jay Lethal vs Jonathan Gresham is up next. Gresham is absolutely tiny and makes Lethal look like Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I don't want to sound like Vince here, but I'm just not buying Gresham's offense against Lethal. You can maybe sell Mysterio against much bigger guys because of his speed, but Gresham's amateur wrestling shtick doesn't really work imo. He's kinda playing a smaller Daniel Bryan/Johnny Gargano character in a way. And he had the majority of the offense here until he hurt his knee in a pretty weak spot. Lots of decent psychology of sore knee vs sore arm follows in what is becoming quite a long match. Lethal wins, but doesn't come out looking all that strong imo.

The Kingdom (Matt Taven, TK O'Ryan & Vinny Marseglia) beat The Bullet Club (Cody, Marty Scurll & Adam Page) in a strong 6 man match next. All 6 men came out looking strong to one degree or another. Match was well-paced, had decent spots & lots of storytelling. Cody definitely looks to have improved since leaving WWE, so good on him. Scurll is super fun, but I'm unsure how he'd go in WWE/nXt. On the heel side, I would like to see more of Taven & TK.

Main event was Young Bucks vs Beretta & Chuckie T. Long & good match. Lots of comedic stuff to start off with, including mocking, sunglasses & even wrestling with a cigarette. Pacing of the match was a little weird because Matt was still selling the back injury from Wrestle Kingdom. Double sharpshooters from both teams. Then a big piledriver on the apron from Beretta which was matched by Nick's huge 450 splash, but neither move won the match. Meltzer Driver eventually does that for the Bucks.

Last edited:
It's a measure of how far Impact has fallen if people think talent sharing is a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impact pimps. But seriously don callis has good relationships with everyone

Been a big rise for Don in the last 2 years considering he was done with wrestling for a long time. Started with a guest appearance on Jericho's podcast, went on to hosting his own podcast with Lance Storm, on to the New Japan guest commentator / Kenny Omega advocate to now running TNA.

Game Changer Wrestling bringing you the two biggest matches of WrestleMania weekend in New Orleans:

29684135_1597563323690202_3588917162649059328_n.jpg

27867671_1551762338270301_3132882092359712153_n.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::fire::fire::fire::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Last edited:
Managed to order Bloodsport and Spring Break for free, I'm officially prepped for Mania weekend.

GCW is one of the best indies out there at the moment IMO. Might be a little heavy on the weaponry and violence and crazy spots for some (there's basically a "no limits", "anything goes" policy for all matches, a la the old ECW), and there's not really much that goes on in terms of storylines (you kind of build your own expectations and hype based around the match-ups that get announced prior to the events), but their shows are always highly entertaining nonetheless.

I usually download their shows through Smart Mark Video, and they're usually about $12-$13 AUD a show. Happy to put in a bit to keep the good times going :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back