Independent Wrestling Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

El Patron vs Roderick Strong is a match that I have to see if it ever happens

Vale Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray

Half (or a quarter, I guess, if you include Cornette and the Stan lane version) of one of my personal favourite tag teams The Heavenly Bodies. Hadnt seen much of them until the last year or so as I've made my way through quite a bit of early 90s SMW stuff. From Cornette being awesome to Jimmy making his claim to be the sleaziest wrestlers ever (and I mean that in the best way possible) I just love watching these guys.

Matches vs Steiners at Summerslam 92 and Rock n Roll Express at Survivor Series 92 (despite the awful crowd) are great and probably their most readily available to watch.

gigolo-dance-o.gif

Loved the Heavenly Bodies. SMW was awesome and they were the cornerstone of the promotion. RIP to one of the most under-rated guys of all time.

And Elgin sucks.

I'm so glad they've gone cold on him. I wasn't really watching ROH from the start - I gave up in about 2008 and only came back in time for the New Japan shows this year.

But coming in late and knowing that he was supposedly their next top guy, I never could get it.

I think ADR is a strange signing. I know he can wrestle, but he just screams "sports entertainment" to me.

Does it matter? If New Japan get an English-language display up and running by then, wouldn't you rather just spend the 9 bucks on New Japan World and watch it live with Japanese commentary?

The timezone with Japan is excellent - we're really lucky in that respect.

Or at least, we will be when I can understand what's on my screen!

Finally got around to downloading Chrome and the translation extension, and confirmed that you only have to sign up for a month (albeit, from what I can understand, it bills on the first day of the month, so I'm not sure what would happen if I signed up today.)

I'm now officially pumped for being able to watch WrestleKingdom live on a Sunday night for such an excellent price :)

(Aussie NOAH lads Haste and Nicholls were also added to the card overnight, joining Marafuji for the big show. Win :D )

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the commentary is good (ie Striker doesn't ruin it), I'll download in English. If not, I'll download the version with the Japanese commentary. Not sure if people usually upload the shows with multiple audio tracks?

Why do people steal things just because they can?

New Japan World cost me about $10.30 when I signed up this week. If you're too stingy to pay 10 bucks, I'm sorry, you don't deserve to watch the show.

What a ******* match that was. Back to back MOTY candidates with Nakamura/Ibushi and Tanahashi/Okada. JR was rusty to begin with but got more emotionally involved than Cole could ever be.

How did you watch it?

There was a bit of a break before the main event - it was only at that point that I checked twitter and read that the Flipps app had completely failed on Apple devices. I'm very glad that I spent 10 bucks on New Japan World rather than 40 bucks plus (Australian) on a failed stream that was still going to have Matt Striker on it...

Probably the best show, top to bottom, that I've seen in 20 years of watching wrestling. I can't even decide which of the last 2 was my favourite match. I initially thought that Nakamura and Ibushi had set an impossible task to follow them - but Okada and Tanahashi did, wrestling a completely different style of match.

I had trouble with Flipps as well.

Anybody know when this will be available on demand? I came in at the main event, which failed on me several times, now all I'm seeing is "coming up" and it says the replay isn't for something like another 12 hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back