Toast Nonna's Joint. Vicariously living Tom Liberatore's Grand Tour of the known Universe and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I felt offended when I think it was BT? Questioned Libba's disposal (or decision making?) last weekend.

His disposal is surely elite - I'd say he has Macrae, Bont, Hunter and Dunkley all covered with his kicking. He is the best handballer in the team.

I swear if I was working for Carlton, Gold Coast, Saints or Freo I'd be throwing big bucks at him.

To be fair, I have Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley covered for kicking. That's not the comparison you want to be making.

Macrae lacks penetration but is a great kick. Hunter is an outstanding kick - just not for goal... Dunks is ugly but effective.

Sorry mate but you are off the mark here. All lack penetration and the speed of their ball flight is slow. They are generally fairly accurate I will admit and Macrae creates interesting angles but that’s about it.

Macrae lacks penetration but is a great kick. Hunter is an outstanding kick - just not for goal... Dunks is ugly but effective.
I'll give you that Hunter and Dunkley have improved this year. But when you start at 0.....

Macrae definitely lacks penetration, and is a little too prone to the 60⁰ hook kick (which again he seems to have curtailed this year at least. When it works it's brilliant, but is abysmal when it doesn't), but calling these guys anything close to outstanding / elite / great is generous at best.

I'll give you that Hunter and Dunkley have improved this year. But when you start at 0.....

Macrae definitely lacks penetration, and is a little too prone to the 60⁰ hook kick (which again he seems to have curtailed this year at least. When it works it's brilliant, but is abysmal when it doesn't), but calling these guys anything close to outstanding / elite / great is generous at best.

I just don't know how we ever win a game ;)

Sorry mate but you are off the mark here. All lack penetration and the speed of their ball flight is slow. They are generally fairly accurate I will admit and Macrae creates interesting angles but that’s about it.
Disagree. Our style of play means an increase in errant kicks due to increased risk. JJ is the perfect example. Absolutely beautiful kick of the footy - accuracy, penetration, style ... but executing that kick at full pace - when you're as quick as he is, causes a few additional errors. VERY few footballers can do it much better at full pace. It is very challenging, but worth the higher margin for error because of the broken lines and penetration of defensive structures.

Hunter is a lovely under 45 kick - ask him to do more and then it suffers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libba is a great kick but Bont has him covered.
I wouldn't be so sure on that. I think Libba is a better kick than Bont just that he's at the coal face so much firing out handballs you dont see his full kicking ability. Their career average kicking efficiency also just slightly favours Libba at 61.9% vs Bont's 59.4%

The thing is, he's just too damn good in a contest. If he were purely a wing player you'd probably see his full talent when kicking.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. I think Libba is a better kick than Bont just that he's at the coal face so much firing out handballs you dont see his full kicking ability. Their career average kicking efficiency also just slightly favours Libba at 61.9% vs Bont's 59.4%

The thing is, he's just too damn good in a contest. If he were purely a wing player you'd probably see his full talent when kicking.
By the same token though, a lot of Bonts kicks are going inside 50 and more susceptible to being cur off. Bont probably has an extra 7-10 meters too.

Not a knock on Libba at all, I think he is a terrific kick, just don't think he is as good as Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back