Norm Smith medalists that shouldn’t have been

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.

There is a MYTH from some salty Collingwood supporters that Voss was not among the best that day, his stat line suggests he was.

IMO Buckley was BOG followed by Voss, Rocca, Keating, & Lappin.

Would agree with this but would have Keating second.

For our Richmond troll, here is another Brisbane supporter having Buckley rated as best.

Kicked more in 82 than Daicos did in 90

Yet according your theory with Voss and Buckley Daicos was far superior because his team won. Thanks for supporting our argument. You really haven't watched much football have you. Interesting also of Rioli's 19 possession 4 were free kicks, with video showing 3 of them were not there. He was always an umpires pet perhaps that's why a bloke who wasn't in the best 6 players on the ground was awarded the medal due to similar bias by the judges.

Yet according your theory with Voss and Buckley Daicos was far superior because his team won. Thanks for supporting our argument. You really haven't watched much football have you. Interesting also of Rioli's 19 possession 4 were free kicks, with video showing 3 of them were not there. He was always an umpires pet perhaps that's why a bloke who wasn't in the best 6 players on the ground was awarded the medal due to similar bias by the judges.
Voss outplayed Buckley regardless if Brisbane won or not

Kicked more in 82 than Daicos did in 90
Yeah.
Rioli had only 19 possessions.
Less possessions in the 82 GF than Wiley, Raines, Weightman, Ashman, Johnson, Sheldon, Marcou & Fitzpatrick.
Rioli did nothing to swing the game Richmond’s way as Carlton took over.

No Richmond supporter should ever post about dodgy Norm Smith medallists.

Yeah.
Rioli had only 19 possessions.
Less possessions in the 82 GF than Wiley, Raines, Weightman, Ashman, Johnson, Sheldon, Marcou & Fitzpatrick.
Rioli did nothing to swing the game Richmond’s way as Carlton took over.

No Richmond supporter should ever post about dodgy Norm Smith medallists.
19 possessions and 3 goals on a half forward flank there is more to a game besides racking up 30 possessions but I think Buckley wouldn't know that

Bont had 22 touches at 100% DE, in a Grand Final against a contested team like Sydney, at 20 years of age!

He didn't exactly seagull it either, with half of his possessions contested, 7 tackles and 6 clearances.

I'm not sure if it fits into NS discussions, but FMD his game in isolation will be the stuff of legend in years to come.
5 or 6 hitouts to advantage too. Him going 3rd man up after half time changed the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s now decided.
The worst Norm Smith Medallist of all time is Maurice Rioli.
I was there that day and there were a few "WTF?!?" boos in the crowd from Blues fans when they announced Maurice Rioli as the Norm Smith winner.

I guess everyone assumed it would be a Carlton player: Wayne Johnston (23 disp, 2 goals), Rod Ashman (23 disp, 2 goals) or Mike Fitzpatrick (20 disp, 19 HO, 2 goals). One of them. But I watched a couple of quarters of that game recently and Maurice Rioli stood out as the best player in the bits I saw. A little bit like his nephew Cyril, he was on a level above most players, breaking away and making his disposals count. He had 19 disposals, kicked 3 goals and was clearly Richmond's best player.

Chris Judd wasn't so good in 2005, but it was hard to pick the best players from that match. The whole game was a low skill, high pressure rugby scrum. Judd was the leading ball getter and burst away away from a few packs, so he stood out in some ways. But he actually butchered most of his possessions. He might've been the "best player on the ground", but he wasn't particularly effective and didn't influence the game as much as other Norm Smith winners... In many ways, it was a classic overscored "3 votes: C Judd" game, that one..

Last edited:
It’s now decided.
The worst Norm Smith Medallist of all time is Maurice Rioli.

Aboriginal players were an absolute novelty at the time. There were only a handful in the VFL, including Wally Lovett and Rod Waddell and I'm not sure the average supporter even realised they were Aboriginal as they didn't have particularly dark skin. Phil Egan was more obviously indigenous but flew well under the radar in his debut season. Then there were the stars, the Krakouer brothers and "Mr. Magic" Rioli, who were feted by the likes of Lou Richards.

My father and I were at the game and we both expressed surprise upon hearing on the car radio that Rioli had won BOG. In all honesty I thought Maurice (R.I.P.) was slightly overrated during his time in Victoria on account of his very dark skin that caught the eye, in combination with the "black magic" thing that was in vogue with the footy media. In saying that, he was a special player who did things that Victorian footy fans had never seen before. One day at the MCG he even had Collingwood fans gasping in astonishment, followed by applause.

Last edited:
Aboriginal players were an absolute novelty at the time. There were only a handful in the VFL, including Wally Lovett and Rod Waddell and I'm not sure the average supporter even realised they were Aboriginal as they didn't have particularly dark skin. Phil Egan was more obviously indigenous but flew well under the radar in his debut season. Then there were the stars, the Krakouer brothers and "Mr. Magic" Rioli, who were feted by the likes of Lou Richards.

My father and I were at the game and we both expressed surprise upon hearing on the car radio that Rioli had won BOG. In all honesty I thought Maurice (R.I.P.) was slightly overrated during his time in Victoria on account of his very dark skin that caught the eye, in combination with the "black magic" thing that was in vogue with the footy media. In saying that, he was a special player who did things that Victorian footy fans had never seen before. One day at the MCG he even had Collingwood fans gasping in astonishment, followed by applause.

What a well-balanced post. Get out of here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Johnson 1979
Yes Wayne Johnson was BOG in 1979.
The 79 NS is as big a joke as Rioli in 82.
When Rioli won in 82 with the 9th most possessions it was following on from Harmes who had the 10th most in 79.
But Harmes was going to win that first ever NS no matter what.
He is the nephew of Norm Smith. That was well publicised leading into the game in the light of a Norm Smith medal being first going to be presented.
Guess what? The nephew won.
Only 17 possessions in 100 minutes. The 10th most. Of course he tapped that amazing goal over half way through the last quarter. But blood is thicker than water & the VFL wanted him to win.

Yes Wayne Johnson was BOG in 1979.
The 79 NS is as big a joke as Rioli in 82.
When Rioli won in 82 with the 9th most possessions it was following on from Harmes who had the 10th most in 79.
But Harmes was going to win that first ever NS no matter what.
He is the nephew of Norm Smith. That was well publicised leading into the game in the light of a Norm Smith medal being first going to be presented.
Guess what? The nephew won.
Only 17 possessions in 100 minutes. The 10th most. Of course he tapped that amazing goal over half way through the last quarter. But blood is thicker than water & the VFL wanted him to win.

Yeah my bad. Harmes should was NS but Johnson should have been. Although in a losing side Picken was bloody close too.

This thread got me to dust of the 2007 Grand Final DVD and give it a rewatch, considering in my mind Scarlett was best a field but I needed to refresh my memory.

I turned the game off half way through the second quarter because that’s when the contest was over and I personally value who helped set up a win rather than who cashed in on party time.

Chapmen, Johnson and Mackie were the best players on the field up to that point, with Scarlett really starting to warm up dashing forward and setting up goals, even having a shot himself.

Johnson was good, ten or so touches a few goals, but he was manly just getting on the end of great team football by the cats, which is what a good forward should do so I don’t devalue his performance. But while Johnson was getting on the end, Chapman was in everything, tough at the ball, assisting goals, kicking goals and was a real catalyst for forging a strong Geelong lead in the first quarter.

Mackie at his young age was far more composed than his elder teammates and had plenty of rebounding run from the back half and his efficientcy was high while the pressure was on.

Chapman
Johnson
Mackie
Scarlett
Ottens

So yeah fun topic, and it inspired me to watch a game I often neglect, boy the game has changed in just 10 years by the way, even when the ‘pressure’ was on it seemed like everyone was going at half speed and they had paddocks of space to run into.

The 3 most obvious ones in recent times:

2010- Hayes over Goddard. Lenny played a typical Lenny game, but Goddard was a level above, absolutely brilliant.

2016- Probably the worst call in the history of the medal, JJ was a frontrunner for the Leon Davis Medal at half time with the way he was butchering the ball. Boyd won the Dogs that game, and Picken was very good too. Kennedy's first half was immense, though he faded when the game was there to be won, unlike Boyd who did the opposite. Unfortunately, in recent years the voters seem to have an aversion to giving it to perceived lesser players (they need to do much more than a 'star' player), so Boyd was no hope.

2017- Dusty played prety well, but Houli was clear BOG. Rance was on par with Houli at half time but Adelaide lying down killed his chances. Edwards was around Dusty's level too.

Beyond that, Judd was good in 2005, but I reckon the fact his best competition from Sydney wasn't Goodes, Hall, or Kirk, but no names like LRT and Buchanan made him an easy choice. Still probably quite deserving under the circumstances but.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back