North’s greatest players night. Boomer picked ahead of Blight...embarrassing and disgraceful

Remove this Banner Ad

Paganism mark II

Etihad Stadium, Locker room end
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So North name their greatest ever players last night to celebrate their 150th anniversary and have Malcolm Blight at 6.

Everyone can argue the order they’d have them in behind Carey at number 1, but if Brent Harvey was a better footballer than Malcolm Blight I have to go away and reassess everything I’ve ever thought about the game.
I love Boomer, but come on, better than Blight?
Joke! An insult to a true legend of the game.
You got this wrong North!

I wasn't old enough to see Blight play while he was still playing, so I've only seen clips and maybe a couple of replay matches, including the 1977 GF. Of course almost everyone has seen that 70m torp to win it after the siren. Boomer was a gun in his own right and was such a stalwart of the club for so long though, but yeah, I dunno how you'd compare them, different players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cable played 400 league games, 115 for North, also coached them. Legend status in Australian Football and can’t make Norths top 10. That’s just laughable.

My understanding it was only looking at the games played for North.

So while Cable had better career, the others may have had a better time at North.

Memories are funny things and mine depart from accepted history pretty frequently.

Sam Kekovich for a brief period was just amazing. Might have been the best player in the country late 60s. Played a stinker in 74 GF, and missed the photo shoot in 75 victorous team!

Dench, Shimma, Greig and Glendinning were standouts for me.

Cable had 2 stints at North from memory(?), with plenty of games before he came over. He was near perfection on his day and there were plenty of them, but I wonder where / when he played his best. The 74 GF was a horror show for him, and I cant remember him cutting up my team very often.

Blight has a highlight reel, a great player, but played plenty of disappointing games - the talk in the 70s with my mates was his inconsistency.

I dont think Harvey gets anywhere near top 10, and Blight might just scrape in, and Cable was a very good not great player at North.

I would like to know how many players the club has in total. Because for some of those liared below to get into the top 150 is laughable. I just don't get it!

The precious era also has some outliers.

I do think they made the right call with the top 3. Dench and Greig were magnificent. I would have Harvey closer to 10. Stevens at 9...really? He was a great warrior but top 10??

2000-2019
Saverio Rocca
Corey Jones
Drew Petrie
Michael Firrito
Daniel Wells
Andrew Swallow
Lindsay Thomas
Todd Goldstein
Scott Thompson
Jack Ziebell
Ben Cunnington
Jamie MacMillan
Shaun Atley
Robbie Tarrant
Ben Brown
Shaun Higgins
Jarrad Waite

Cable played 400 league games, 115 for North, also coached them. Legend status in Australian Football and can’t make Norths top 10. That’s just laughable.
Problem is he only played 115 for North. 300 games for WAFL. So if you’re looking at that, not enough games.

I would like to know how many players the club has in total. Because for some of those liared below to get into the top 150 is laughable. I just don't get it!

The precious era also has some outliers.

I do think they made the right call with the top 3. Dench and Greig were magnificent. I would have Harvey closer to 10. Stevens at 9...really? He was a great warrior but top 10??

2000-2019
Saverio Rocca
Corey Jones
Drew Petrie
Michael Firrito
Daniel Wells
Andrew Swallow
Lindsay Thomas
Todd Goldstein
Scott Thompson
Jack Ziebell
Ben Cunnington
Jamie MacMillan
Shaun Atley
Robbie Tarrant
Ben Brown
Shaun Higgins
Jarrad Waite
The 2000-2019 group looks pretty uninspiring

So North name their greatest ever players last night to celebrate their 150th anniversary and have Malcolm Blight at 6.

Everyone can argue the order they’d have them in behind Carey at number 1, but if Brent Harvey was a better footballer than Malcolm Blight I have to go away and reassess everything I’ve ever thought about the game.
I love Boomer, but come on, better than Blight?
Joke! An insult to a true legend of the game.
You got this wrong North!
I thought David Pittman was a better footballer than all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back