Votes: 16 38.1%
  • As bad as a Liam Anthony inside 50 - Explain below

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Player Watch board. Overhaul, fresh start or scrap it?

I remember Groggy doing his best at reviving it years ago and some of us posted in it quite often, but it's very rarely used.

Not sure of an answer. Some other boards, have a player thread from the time they were drafted, editing the thread title as they go along, which populates the main board. Not necessarily advocating for that, but with the amount of posters and some decent ones at that, we could do something about keeping all things player related to the one thread?

Scrap it.

And a vent thread after each game would save people having to wade through a sea of this player shits me and the coach is rubbish threads after each loss.

Strongly support the idea of a post-loss mega whinge thread. The blow ins and those who oddly enjoy this can vent to their hearts content.

Agree with the generally libertarian approach to moderating (as far as I can tell) and that it isn't too precious or controlling. Well done and thank you guys.

I would, however, request a bit more rigour in policing "rule #1" (personal abuse.) I think this is defined too narrowly as 'swear words'. I believe it should be seen as a derogatory ad hominum comment, such as referring to someone else as an 'idiot'.

Such comments are usually seen as rightfully antagonistic and lead to spats or worse and detract from otherwise interesting discussion. I am sure it discourages new, less confident and/or different points of view. Don't need to ban, just delete relevant part of post or warn.

And to echo what has already been said....

Despite my long-held belief that Moderation should be a blood sport, I think the new-age North Mods do an awesome job.

Only ones that I'd say still have some room for improvement would be Twinkletoes, The Filth Wizard, Ryz, B Tron, and Flawed Genius.

But the rest are guns.

Overall Mods do an excellent job. Certain get the balance right to enable discussion. Probably a little too lenient on the types who name call others (it's the same posters and a minority), but not a biggie.

I am definitely against "megathreads", including for 'venting'. Just becomes a tangled mess of multiple topics.

For mine individual threads are preferred. I don't see it as clogging the board at all, takes a few seconds to scan down and sort through. If people aren't interested in a certain topic, simply don't read or post in that thread.

Roast- Not all north posters are using * enough, really rubs me the wrong way.

Darwinroo this means you :stern look:
Scrap it.

And a vent thread after each game would save people having to wade through a sea of this player shits me and the coach is rubbish threads after each loss.
I think it's had it's day.

A Mega Thread Vent thread is for the tip. Some of you idiots want the Mods to be too controlling. Allow "everybody" to have their say. One such poster may want to bitch about player X. Another poster may want to bitch about player Y. Another about the coach. They are different topics. Are you idiots too stupid to realise that? If you see a "roast" symbol next to a thread and if you feel it may bother you Don't *en read it! Are you idiots that stupid you feel compelled to engage in something that you don't like? Like a Vent thread.

Leave the forum AS IT IS. The mods do a good job. If it ain't broke don't go trying to fix it.:stern look

Oh yeah LOL DarwinRoo. Aliases rock! :stern look

I am definitely against "megathreads", including for 'venting'. Just becomes a tangled mess of multiple topics.

For mine individual threads are preferred. I don't see it as clogging the board at all, takes a few seconds to scan down and sort through. If people aren't interested in a certain topic, simply don't read or post in that thread.
I'm generally not a fan of mega threads but a post-loss vent thread would improve this board dramatically. The way it is now, it is nigh on impossible to find genuine football discussion and analysis after a loss. It's seriously like finding a needle in a haystack and I think most of the positive-slanted or balanced posters just stay away as a result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm generally not a fan of mega threads but a post-loss vent thread would improve this board dramatically. The way it is now, it is nigh on impossible to find genuine football discussion and analysis after a loss. It's seriously like finding a needle in a haystack and I think most of the positive-slanted or balanced posters just stay away as a result.

Arguably not as bad as those who stick the needle in even when we win. Sort of ridiculous, especially when they start making excuses for the opponents.

That is a fair point mate but I think rather than a mega thread maybe the mods could be more heavy handed in terms of deleting unwanted "roasts". I just feel some roast threads are warranted, and the topics would get lost in a 'mega thread'.

If they were limited by way of deletion or locked then it might balance the board out a bit - I could also say after a win the board is equally clogged with way too unnecessary toast threads, which also mean quality/worthwhile discussion is hard to find.

Either way I'm sure the mods will pick what is best for the majority and I'm fine with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a lot of interesting ideas/comments/debates that make it a very interesting board to visit and interact with my fellow shinboners, but they get lost amongst all the stupid, negative at times aggressive threads that seem to pop up after every defeat. A single rant/vent thread would hopefully reduce these threads and make visiting the North Melbourne board a more enjoyable experience.

I think this board is great. I particularly like the Positive / negative/match summary thread post match. It gives a greater insight into how the team went, living interstate, our local newspaper wouldn't even know who North Melbourne are. After a loss, everyone should be sacked and after a good win extend the contracts now, but that's just footy.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. We greatly appreciate everyone's advice and comments on how we could make this board better. We'll take everything posted into consideration and get back to the board as soon as we can.

Thanks to everyone for providing their feedback on the board and the way it's run, and their ideas on how it could possibly be improved.

We've taken all your feedback into consideration and although it's probably too late in the year to implement any new changes, as traffic for BigFooty as a site, let alone the North board, drops off considerably after September and doesn't really come back up until the pre-season heats up, we've come up with some stuff we'd like to try in the future to improve the board.

A lot of posters indicated that the clutter of the board post-loss is something they're finding irritable. There's a lot of reactionary posts and threads started, praising or "roasting" coaching staff, the leadership group, and so on and so forth. We've seen the system work on other boards: An "Autopsy" thread. The benefits of having one central thread for you all to play in, instead of having a number of jumbled threads and thoughts overlapping and mimicking each other, far outweigh the negatives. In saying that, some posters voiced their concerns about one megathread ruining the flow of any particular train of thought or discussion. To fix this, you can use the quote function more often. Alternatively, you may have notice we've been doing a little more editing of thread titles lately. One of the detracting posts towards the idea of a megathread was that it's hard to trawl through 20 pages to find the changes in a Preview thread. Something we can try is to pop the exact page number that the changes are first posted on in the thread title ASAP, which would make it a little easier to navigate.

The idea of copying the Essendon forum's "Player Watch" threads, where each player on the list has a dedicated thread in which all discussion about that player goes, and the thread's title is updated each week/month to reflect the player's current status, is something we're keen to give a shot and see how it goes. It's reduced clutter really well on the Essendon board, and we've managed to get our hands on the Player Watch prefix, so we'd like to give it a go. This would potentially revitalise the now quite dead Player Watch sub-forum which most of you have probably never posted in, allowing us to clean it out, have big central threads for player discussion which wouldn't suffer the "loss-of-train-of-discussion" problem, and stop there being multiple Toast threads about the one player. I know personally I recently went through the last six months or so of threads and managed to find six Kayne Turner threads, a number of which had more than 5 pages worth of posts. Condensing these into one large thread cleans up the board significantly.

Speaking of cleaning up the board, some posters raised the idea of banning aliases due to annoying or contrary content. We can't ban posters simply because you don't agree with their views, or you find them annoying. This is an open forum and we welcome all views, just as all views are open for debate and discussion. As always, the rules have not changed and we urge you to report any posts or threads you find offensive. We take every report seriously, and will do our utmost to respond as quickly as we can.

In terms of design, ideas like redecorating the grey stripe down the sides of your screen to make the forum a more "North-y" experience is something we'll have to raise with admin. We simply don't have the administrative rights to make edits like that. If it's a popular enough idea, we'll try our best to get it over the line.

In terms of posters posting here and then on the Main Board and "bringing down the image" of the North board, there really is nothing we can do about it. We don't moderate the Main Board, and we certainly encourage you not to take any notice of anyone trolling under the guise of being a North supporter. You know who our regular posters are - take notice of their opinion and disregard the rest.

In summing up, on behalf of all the mods, we appreciate your feedback and kind words. It is often a thankless task, and all of us have lives outside of our laptops, so it is nice to receive positive feedback. The overwhelming majority of this board makes it exceptionally easy to moderate.

Please don't think that your feedback is restricted to a yearly feedback thread, either. We are all a PM away, if you have any ideas on how the board can be improved or fixed, we'd love to hear them. Keep an eye out for the changes we've outlined in this post in the future and go Roos.

- Twinkletoes, B Tron, The Filth Wizard and Flawed Genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back