Opinion North Board-Media & Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

The obvious one is JRE but that depends who’s on. One history podcast that doesn’t get much love but is great is the Emperors Of Rome Podcast.

Emperors of Rome is great. I've come to really like the more conversational format rather than single presenter reading a script. I've also Kickstartered the spin-offs - When in Rome, Gallic War, and Illyrian Wars. I've been reading Caesar's text along with the Gallic War. Well worth it.

A new one this year is You're Dead To Me, hosted by one of the writers/researchers of Horrible Histories. Random grab-bag of single-topic episodes, with different expert guests each episode. A more serious version of the same is obviously In Our Time, which ranges across history, literature, science and culture. Huge back catalogue, just pick out the ones you like the look of.

For more science there's Infinite Monkey Cage. Also a good backlog to work through if you haven't heard it yet. They come out with a couple of 6-week seasons a year.

Emperors of Rome is great. I've come to really like the more conversational format rather than single presenter reading a script. I've also Kickstartered the spin-offs - When in Rome, Gallic War, and Illyrian Wars. I've been reading Caesar's text along with the Gallic War. Well worth it.

A new one this year is You're Dead To Me, hosted by one of the writers/researchers of Horrible Histories. Random grab-bag of single-topic episodes, with different expert guests each episode. A more serious version of the same is obviously In Our Time, which ranges across history, literature, science and culture. Huge back catalogue, just pick out the ones you like the look of.

For more science there's Infinite Monkey Cage. Also a good backlog to work through if you haven't heard it yet. They come out with a couple of 6-week seasons a year.

Good man! I’m looking forward to listening to the Gallic war.

Side note, I know you can speak Latin (which is pretty awesome btw), are you fluent in it? For example, are you reading Ceasars text or the translation of it?

When I listen to Emperors of Rome Dr Evans does a bit of translating from Latin and it always makes me think, I bet Rob knew that already

Good man! I’m looking forward to listening to the Gallic war.

Side note, I know you can speak Latin (which is pretty awesome btw), are you fluent in it? For example, are you reading Ceasars text or the translation of it?

When I listen to Emperors of Rome Dr Evans does a bit of translating from Latin and it always makes me think, I bet Rob knew that already
I don't read it fluently enough to just read the original. Caesar is pretty straightforward so I probably could have in my glory days (I speak Italian reasonably fluently but even there I find reading novels in the language pretty slow going). I'm reading the Loeb edition which has the original on the left hand page and translation on the right. When I see something interesting and wonder why the translator has chosen a particular expression or something I'll refer to the Latin.

Most of the time when Rhiannon dips into the Latin it's something I already know but often she'll discuss a bit of etymology or nuance of meaning that I wouldn't have picked up on. And sometimes a passage or translation she talks about in Caesar is something I looked at myself in the reading.

I know it sounds impressive but it's really no different from people being interested in motorbikes or hi-fi gear or whisky or whatever. It's just something I choose to use brain cells on.

I don't read it fluently enough to just read the original. Caesar is pretty straightforward so I probably could have in my glory days (I speak Italian reasonably fluently but even there I find reading novels in the language pretty slow going). I'm reading the Loeb edition which has the original on the left hand page and translation on the right. When I see something interesting and wonder why the translator has chosen a particular expression or something I'll refer to the Latin.

Most of the time when Rhiannon dips into the Latin it's something I already know but often she'll discuss a bit of etymology or nuance of meaning that I wouldn't have picked up on. And sometimes a passage or translation she talks about in Caesar is something I looked at myself in the reading.

I know it sounds impressive but it's really no different from people being interested in motorbikes or hi-fi gear or whisky or whatever. It's just something I choose to use brain cells on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adrian Goldsworthy has a pretty good biography of the great Ceasar and Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome is absolutely brilliant from a historical fiction viewpoint.

Also getting into the first season of Ottoman Rising on Netflix.

Just finished it.

******* dark.
He's a pretty twisted puppy the old Cormac.

Most people hated The Counselor when it came out as his first screenplay.

I loved it.

Uncut Gems is a stressful movie, but it's very well executed.
I thought Adam Sandler put in a pretty good turn and Kevin Garnett really sells his role too.

Uncut Gems is a stressful movie, but it's very well executed.
I thought Adam Sandler put in a pretty good turn and Kevin Garnett really sells his role too.
Safdi Bros make some good s**t. Good Time with Robert Pattinson is really good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back