North/Central Queensland Local Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

So I saw this story about former NRL bad boy Ben Barba making his senior Aussie rules debut yesterday and kicking 13 goals in the process. It got me thinking that we probably don't discuss the happenings of the major local leagues throughout our academy zone in North & Central QLD so I figured it would be a good idea to create a thread where we can discuss anything footy related in those areas of Queensland.

May as well talk about Barba's performance as well since it's a pretty significant achievement to kick 13 goals on debut. So the Eastern Swans decided to play Barba as a full forward and the coach believes he has a long way to go to understand the game but his superior athleticism allowed him to shine at the local level of the AFL Mackay competition. I know he has a shady past and is 31 years old now so he basically has zero chance of going much further than the local level but it's still an interesting story to see a rugby league convert dominate a game of footy. I've always thought there are plenty of indigenous athletes throughout Queensland who could be outstanding footballers but have grown up playing a different sport and perhaps have been discouraged from even trying Aussie rules. I think Ben Barba is probably a classic example of that.

aas4ULG.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Can someone provide a basic outline of what comps and teams run up North? Honestly I have not much of an idea of how footy works up there.

Maybe a list of players that have come through the club from that part of the state? From memory Josh Hall and Charlie Dixon were both from that neck of the woods, Harbs too?

Don't really have much to say on Barba other than he's not worth talking about considering what he did but good for him that he's found a sport that will take him on, I suppose if you go down far enough athletic talent will eventually win out.

I saw the video of it. Was actually comical his playstyle lol!. Must have been some pretty ordinary sides

Here is some footage of Barba playing for the Eastern Swans in the AFL Mackay competition. You can see the foundational skills that are developed in junior footy just aren't there at the moment (his ball drop is a great example of this and he also struggles to take a mark overhead) but he's probably athletically superior to all the other players on that field so he used that to his advantage and beat his opponents. Very typical playing style of a convert from one of the rugby codes but that's not to say he can't improve if he puts the time in. He has the athletic ability, just needs to work on the skills. It's interesting that he attempted the high chip kick that's often used in rugby league on the fourth or fifth tackle when they are trying to give their wingers a chance to score a corner try. It didn't really work but good on him for trying. Eventually he'll realise the high chip kicks aren't really effective in Aussie rules and he's better off kicking it short and low to a free teammate/someone on the lead. That'll come with time, as will other things when he gets a better feel for the game.

Last edited:
Can someone provide a basic outline of what comps and teams run up North? Honestly I have not much of an idea of how footy works up there.

Maybe a list of players that have come through the club from that part of the state? From memory Josh Hall and Charlie Dixon were both from that neck of the woods, Harbs too?

Don't really have much to say on Barba other than he's not worth talking about considering what he did but good for him that he's found a sport that will take him on, I suppose if you go down far enough athletic talent will eventually win out.
I'll have a crack. So North Queensland has four separate leagues:

AFL Cairns
Cairns Saints - 13 premierships
Cairns City Lions - 2 premierships
Centrals-Trinity Beach Bulldogs - 12 premierships
Manunda Hawks - 4 premierships
North Cairns Tigers - 10 premierships
Port Douglas - 7 premierships
South Cairns - 9 premierships

Notable players: Jack Bowes (Manunda), Troy Clarke (South Cairns), Che Cockatoo-Collins (Cairns City), Alex Davies (Manunda), Courtenay Dempsey (Manunda), Charlie Dixon (Cairns), Jarrod Harbrow (South Cairns), Jason Roe (Cairns City)

AFL Mackay
Bakers Creek Tigers - 9 premierships
Eastern Swans - 7 premierships
Mackay Magpies - 0 premeirships
Mackay City Hawks - 8 premierships
Moranbah Bulldogs - 3 premierships
North Mackay Saints - 10 premierships
Whitsunday Sea Eagles - 10 premierships

Notable players: David Armitage (Eastern Swans), special AFLW mention to Lauren Bella (Bakers Creek)

AFL Mount Isa
Dajarra Rhinos - 0 premierships
Lake Nash Young Guns - 2 premierships (this team is actually based over the border in the NT and travel 600+ kms to play in the AFL Mount Isa comp)
Mount Isa Buffaloes - 5 premierships
Mount Isa Rovers - 24 premierships
Mount Isa Tigers - 9 premierships

Notable players: None yet but it's probably worth noting talented footballers like Simon Black and Charlie Cameron were born in Mount Isa.

AFL Townsville
Curra Swans - 3 premierships
Hermit Park Tigers - 13 premierships
Northern Beaches Suns - 0 premierships
Thuringowa Bulldogs - 14 premierships
(James Cook) University Hawks - 9 premierships

Notable players: Josh Hall (Curra), Braydon Preuss (Hermit Park), Jake Spencer (Hermit Park), Josh Williams (Hermit Park)

So that's a breakdown of what's going on in North Queensland. Cairns is obviously the most significant area for us in terms of producing AFL talent but I feel like Townsville and Mackay could pop up every now and then as well. AFL Mount Isa will take some work and the low population base makes it tougher. Also, the Northern Territory team that competes in the AFL Mount Isa competition does not fall under our academy zone, instead it falls into Collingwood's Next Generation Academy zone.

Here is a Central Queensland breakdown which also falls under our academy zone:

AFL Capricornia
Boyne Island-Tannum Sands - 13 premierships
Brothers Roos - 6 premierships
Gladstone Mudcrabs - 6 premierships
Glenmore Bullds - 8 premierships
Rockhampton Panthers - 4 premierships
Yeppoon Swans - 7 premierships

Notable players: Zac Smith (Glenmore)

Not a lot to report on from Central Queensland where the population is lower and it is very much a rugby league stronghold region. I think it'll take a while for us to make inroads in CQ but we have at least seen one player in Zac Smith carve out a pretty decent AFL career and show that it can be done.

Benny Barba with another bag of goals over the weekend in the first grade AFL Mackay competition. That's 9 goals in 3 games for Barba.
Matt Rowell would be on 90 but I digress.

Good for him, I just worry were going to become "linked" to him now because he's ripping up a local comp.

Easy click bait bs from the Murdoch media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back