North debt free for the first time since 1987

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know this is a sad day for you.

It will be ok though. You’ll have decades to come of being irritated and triggered by the survival of the NMFC.

Chin up muppet.
Get well soon nuff.

Nobody is offering any answers. I'm just interested in how they have done it? Barring the 2 expansion sides, they pretty much have the lowest everything in the league revenue, supporters, members, crowds, side hussles everything. Are we to believe it is a simple case of brilliant money management? Is that it? Would make a fascinating case study.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Nobody is offering any answers. I'm just interested in how they have done it? Barring the 2 expansion sides, they pretty much have the lowest everything in the league revenue, supporters, members, crowds, side hussles everything. Are we to believe it is a simple case of brilliant money management? Is that it? Would make a fascinating case study.
Because they just want to hear how good they are, regardless of how

I'm just interested in how they have done it?

Go read the club's annual reports. It's all in there.

Short version is; membership, sponsorships, partnerships, and AFL revenue.

There's no trick to it.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Maybe if you could up skill yourself you could read our financial reports and learn something.

GWS games in Canberra are paid for by the 10 year deal they signed with the ACT itself.

Yep, the money they get is from the AFL. This was highlighted when the AFL ACT asked the AFL for additional grant money so they could afford to match what my club was offered on the GC, the AFL then said no so they could encourage us to go play on the Gold Coast. Afterwards, they gave the money so they could get Melbourne and Dogs to replace our games before eventually GWS getting the money.

There is actually no real market for games in ACT, it isn't remotely economically viable like say the Tasmanian games are. There was very little government money, no real corporate money, it is not really an arms-length transaction. Games wouldn't be played there without the AFL money.

AFL should be required to disclose non arms-length transactions. Development grants should go to third parties, not redirected back to clubs. Those that are should be disclosed as distributions.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Personally I'm disgusted that the AFL allocate money to clubs.

They should keep all the revenue from broadcast rights and gate receipts and use it wisely on executive salaries and vanity projects like AFL-X instead.

And any club that accepts money from the AFL should be publicly shamed and eventually relocated to non-AFL territories.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

They should keep all the revenue from the broadcast rights and gate receipts and use it wisely on executive salaries and vanity projects like AFL-X instead.

And any club that accepts money from the AFL should be publicly shamed and eventually relocated to non-AFL territories.

Agreed. I don't want anything to put the AFL's heavily funded fact finding missions in jeopardy.

Who else will find facts?

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

They should keep all the revenue from the broadcast rights and gate receipts and use it wisely on executive salaries and vanity projects like AFL-X instead.

If anything the afl execs deserve even more money too

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a great day for the club though largely symbolic in nature and really an opportunity to celebrate all those who worked their backsides off and contributed above and beyond to keep the club North Melbourne.

Also, this thread just re-emphasises that there are some mean, sour-arsed mother*ers in the world. Go watch a sunset, hold a butterfly, make love to a beautiful human or something. Just get some ******* joy in your life.

Last edited:

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because they just want to hear how good they are, regardless of how

Any club that has looked down the barrell of mergers/relocation understands how significant it is to get out of debt. Things are looking up for the smaller Victorian clubs and it's a good thing.

Shack18

Team Captain
Feb 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's a great day for the club though largely symbolic in nature and really an opportunity to celebrate all those who worked their backsides off and contributed above and beyond to keep the club North Melbourne.

Also, this thread just re-emphasises that are some mean, sour-arsed motherf***ers in the world. Go watch a sunset, hold a butterfly, make love to a beautiful human or something. Just get some ******* joy in your life.
The Kaiser stiffy doesn’t like this !
Go Roos

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
View attachment 1283321
Great to see Laidley back in the fold. I am dreading the possibility of news of her being arrested on a bender while scandalously dressed as a man. 😁

Genuinely though there is something heartwarming about seeing Dean Laidley there and looking happy. Brad Scott on the other hand….chilling vision.
Have they all been jabbed...

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Love this.

The reason why its happened is because a lot of people worked really hard and smart. Working on community projects and opening the club up to the media, the public, other institutions, building good relationships with stakeholders that see the club aligning with their goals (and encouraging co-opted programs to that leverage the people in a club instead of its money), keeping an amazing sponsor like Mazda.... The list literally goes on.

I mean, yes the AFL program to help equalise teams helps a lot... but just like a crutch, it helps you walk, not run.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
They get roughly the same amount of assistance as Carlton, Melbourne & the Dogs.

St Kilda, Brisbane, Gold Coast & GWS get much, much more.

Yes and no, the AFL didn't build a 50,000 stadium 2km from our traditional home ground and induce others to fund it. ;)

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Great stuff. It wasn't such a bad year on-field for North either. Lots of good signs and a lot to like about the new coach. Plus that swifty on the Suns. All good.

They won the spoon yet broke their membership record in a year they couldn't really attend games. All the talk of North not being able to survive lean years at the bottom of the ladder has been put to bed.

Back