North debt free for the first time since 1987

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The Vic State Government basically underwrites them all. The massive push back to complete Vic centricity of the league over the last decade has, in most part been on the back of the back-door deals between the AFL and the Vic Government. The massive public money spent on AFL facilities in the name of "community" and "women's sport". Look no further than the Arden Street development and countless others. The back scratching leads to such things as the corrupt MCG Contract. On thd back of these dodgy deals no Vic club will go under.

Ah excellent you said the line. Don't go changing now Papa G

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The Vic State Government basically underwrites them all. The massive push back to complete Vic centricity of the league over the last decade has, in most part been on the back of the back-door deals between the AFL and the Vic Government. The massive public money spent on AFL facilities in the name of "community" and "women's sport". Look no further than the Arden Street development and countless others. The back scratching leads to such things as the corrupt MCG Contract. On thd back of these dodgy deals no Vic club will go under.

I presume that Ports appeal to Government for funding at Alberton is a completely different and righteous thing right? Or maybe everyone is doing it, Victorian or not. See also
  • Freos government funding facility at Cockburn
  • the Eagles partially government funded facility at Lathlain Park
  • the Lions new facility
  • the giants facilities first at Blacktown, then at Olympic Park
  • the swans proposed hall of industry facility
Not even just an AFL thing - the NSW/QLD/Fed Govs are going mental at the moment with funding for similar facilities for Rugby league clubs.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Have you ever been to Arden St? It’s a fully public oval, with community facilities like gyms and basketball courts in it.

The oval is a tiny spec on a multi multi billion dollar development scheme for the area.

Very rich to say it’s corrupt when theres billions being spent on public amenities within meters all around it.

North whilst one of the smaller clubs, has managed to retain its inner city home when others left, which is a huge credit to the admin. It’s about to pay off in a big way.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
This seems to put St Kilda in the gun.
The era of clubs facing existential threats like folding or merging seems to have ended . Think North to Gold Coast pre Gold Coast in 2007 was the last time it was realistically an option.
Gil's a Saint and the above situation was before his watch . A new head of operations could change this but I think it's generally accepted now the merger/folding days are a thing of the past.

They've been saying that for 25 years, that time has come and gone. If the AFL couldn't relocate North to Gold Coast they have no hope of getting rid of teams in the future.
People said a tassie side would never happen too. I’m certain more clubs will come in and some will move.

Whether it’s within 10, 20 or 30 years from now.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
People said a tassie side would never happen too. I’m certain more clubs will come in and some will move.

Whether it’s within 10, 20 or 30 years from now.
Yep, NT and Tassie will come in at some stage to make it a truly national comp. Not really a question of if but when. Makes 20 sides obviously.

But it's quarter of a century since the death of Fitzroy and the likelihood of clubs folding/merging , as we speak are slim.
Moving???? :think:Not sure.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You said rich clubs get good timeslots. You were wrong.

Take the L.

Good timeslots are more about good ladder position than anything else. Being Victorian helps as well

I said that? Or did you quote the wrong person.

If ladder position mattered why do Carlton get so many Friday nights? Even when making finals the Roos rarely got them. How often do GWS get Friday nights?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I said that? Or did you quote the wrong person.

You or a mysterious hacker. You said rich clubs get more money from better timeslots.

If ladder position mattered why do Carlton get so many Friday nights? Even when making finals the Roos rarely got them. How often do GWS get Friday nights?

That's not true about North, they used to get 3 or 4 a year when they weren't s**t. Like I said, being Victorian helps a lot, especially up to a couple of years ago. Thankfully in recent times the AFL have put more emphasis on the quality of the game. But yeah, Carlton have no business being within the postcode of Friday nights. The Giants are a good example, they get a few a year now.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
7??? I wish.
We were only given one (Good Friday) and we're lucky to have that.

I knew I was overshooting but didn't realise it was by so much. I was gonna say 3 or 4 but didn't want to be corrected by the anti-Vic agitators on here. 1 is ridiculous, that is a genuine restriction of trade.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I don’t really see the league with the same amount of Vic clubs in 10 years time.

I do.

The league may well have expanded to 20 teams by 2031, and in that number there will be the same amount of Vic. teams.

I do.

The league may well have expanded to 20 teams by 2031, and in that number there will be the same amount of Vic. teams.
It remains to be seen.

I see no reason to suppose that in the next ten years any Vic teams will be merging or relocating or exiting the competition.
That’s great, but it remains to be seen.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
That’s great, but it remains to be seen.

So what are you suggesting? Are you suggesting that there is a very real possibility that there will be less than the current amount of Vic. teams in the competition in the next ten years (i.e. by 2031) ? If so, what do you base this on? And who are the candidates to merge / relocate or exit?

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
So what are you suggesting? Are you suggesting that there is a very real possibility that there will be less than the current amount of Vic. teams in the competition in the next ten years (i.e. by 2031) ? If so, what do you base this on? And who are the candidates to merge / relocate or exit?
He's saying 'It remains to be seen' because he has nfi.

I’m suggesting that unless you have a crystal ball we don’t know the structure or the direction of the league in the next 10 to 20 years so it remains to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back