North debt free for the first time since 1987

Yes and no.

Brad's "Godfather offers" strategy didn't work.

But there's no denying we were right in identifying the players to target - Dusty and Josh Kelly.

Agree. It's a yes and no thing.

I'm of the view that you need mature bodies and heads to allow younger guys to develop properly. But then ... it worked out in such a way that North has good finances and a good squad of young players.

The era of clubs facing existential threats like folding or merging seems to have ended . Think North to Gold Coast pre Gold Coast in 2007 was the last time it was realistically an option.
Gil's a Saint and the above situation was before his watch . A new head of operations could change this but I think it's generally accepted now the merger/folding days are a thing of the past.

Demetriou was a Roo. I agree the forced fold/relocate days are over though. But they still have insidious means of shafting clubs.

As long as St Kilda pays its debt it will be fine.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Demetriou was a Roo. I agree the forced fold/relocate days are over though. But they still have insidious means of shafting clubs.

As long as St Kilda pays its debt it will be fine.

The problem remains of living within its means with Covid & that applies to every club in the competition.

The elephant in the room is the Shaw situation.

To this day we still have not been given any kind of reasonable explanation about what happened.

He had a serious health issue and requested privacy after he left the club.

Agree. It's a yes and no thing.

I'm of the view that you need mature bodies and heads to allow younger guys to develop properly. But then ... it worked out in such a way that North has good finances and a good squad of young players.

We've always had to be smart and agile.

We missed on Dusty and Kelly but we hit on the Ten Year Rule back in the day. We got Carey and Longmire for a song by being crafty.

We were quick enough to snaffle Hugh Greenwood to cover for Cunners and help the high end draft pick mids develop.

As long as you're willing to recognise it won't always work, the strategy is fine.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He had a serious health issue and requested privacy after he left the club.
And then turned up at a different club within months.

giphy.gif

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can you explain why Fremantle having a lot of grave shifts but has the least amount of funding any AFL clubs over 20 years?

We pretty much break even each year but the likes of Richmond and Collingwood get more funding and post profits.

The last Friday game for the Dockers was in 2015, yet the Blues has 3 or 4 games a year but get $5m more funding.
For whatever reason the 2:40 time slot in wa works way better for Perth than a 4:40 time slot in Melbourne.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Congratulations North Melbourne that's a huge achievement especially during these covid years and after a wooden spoon season. Hopefully it keeps the vultures at bay for a while. Any talk of relocation to Tasmania is completely off the tables.
now North Melbourne being debt free is something worth celebrating

Outtatym

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Having debt is neither good nor bad.

It is the ability to service the debt (make repayments) which is a good or bad state to be in.
It's bad if you are a club that is constantly under pressure/trolled to relocate from other fans.
Not actually sure why this thread got bumped tho

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't debt a good thing for a business operation?
Depends on the debt really, an overdraft is fine as in the footy cash inflows are seasonal.

Loans are fine if it’s purpose is to expand or acquire income producing assets.

Either way managing that debt the key and being debt free is a good indicator of being able to do so

Back