Review North get Nyhuis'd

Remove this Banner Ad

c9HQRjn.png
May I ask where you get that data from?

Looking at Fyfe - 18 Contested Possessions, 12 clearances (+5 on Lachie Neale next best), 6 1%ers. It's the 1%ers that have been the thing for me - he's doing the extra stuff and leading from the front.
Yep.
Been doing that every week.
Before,during and after the bullet proof vest.

Fyfe is back. That was the free-est I have seen him move all year.

There's still a lot of s**t in our game. We look amazing with a bit more structure forward, and when we stop moving and running we absolutely s**t the bed. Yes it was Norf. But we're also a rebuilding team, still can't understand why many think we're supposed to be winning every game or deliberately shut up shop. Consistency will come with experience for many of the kids.

Blakely, Weller, Cox, Nyhuis, Ryan, Darcy. Some serious talent there.

I must have been a Freo fan for the entire 22 years, because I have to say that given a choice between those awful grinding wins in the back half of 2015 to keep us atop the ladder (where we would kick the first 5 or so and then just hang grimly on to win by 15 points), or this string of heartstoppers in 2017, I'd take the latter every time...it just feels more pure Dockers to me!

Thanks to playing an inexperienced team, our pattern of starting brightly but conceding endless red time goals and then slowing to a halt in the second half is well established and I can't see it changing too much. The good news is that I do think this player group is slowly getting better at holding the dam wall together; they just need to stop these dithering 30m passes backwards on the wing which invariably result in turnovers on the switch and opposition goals.

Other bad? Ballantyne was dreadful and couldn't get near it, but that's actually not too dissimilar to many of his games on the road over his career. I truly don't believe Tom Sheridan has ever recovered mentally from that dropped mark in the 2015 PF (which wasn't entirely his fault) and his anonymous style contributed nothing even prior to his injury. Crozier also struggled mightily to have any impact whatosever playing forward, but what marks Hayden out over the likes of Sheridan is that he was able to find a role in the last quarter and usually makes it count when he does receive it. And Kersten's accuracy is his great positive - the negative is his seemingly total inability to put any physical pressure at all on his opponent when the ball hits the ground (ditto Taberner).

But otherwise, a match full of positives, for a young group who really needed their effort over the last three weeks to be validated by a win.

Nyhuis, what an effort. For someone to have mentally prepared to play as an emergency, then brought in to play a role he has never done before, his marking, kicking and overall awareness were just superb. If he can play as a genuine utility he will be very useful to us going forward - in fact, all three elevated rookies this year are players I want to stay on the main list in future years.

I really don't think Hamling's bravery in playing out the entire match with a very obvious compromised hip has been given enough credit. For someone who clearly couldn't get any lift off that leg, thus robbing him of that excellent intercept power, for him to still have an influential involvement was massive. Surely he has to be a Doig contender...and I also hope he can make a rapid recovery. Grey is also tough as nails for still tackling his heart out in the last with a shoulder problem - I just can't understand those who don't see the benefit of him being in the team.

Blakely has almost gone past Neale IMO in terms of impact on matches (Lachie didn't help with quite a poor game today, such as that awful dithering at offensive 60 when Kersten was in a paddock 20m away). And the Fyfe we all know and love finally returned today in the first half and the beginning of the last quarter...it was beginning to look like his bullocking days might be over, but I'm happy to see that they are not (and you can sign that new contract any time about now, Nat).

And oh, those young men of the purple...

-Darcy is already a handy ruckman, who will only improve (but he needs assistance pronto)
-Cox is the only player we have seen since Fyfe who has offensive contested marking power; we finally have someone else we can kick towards with confidence, and I notice his laconic moments are getting fewer with each passing match
-Logue is a work in progress, but Daw was a great matchup for him in terms of lack of football nous and I think he will get there
-Ryan is a solid customer who gives us hope for Spurr's long term replacement and his reaction to the win was the most special to see
-Hughes is also brainfading less and less as he gets more opportunity at top level and he really did step up today in an inexperienced back 6
-Tucker is gradually becoming our most dangerous half forward in quite a while

It's still a tough road for the rest of this season, but the Fremantle Dockers finally have that old excitement back and I can't wait for the next chapter to be written.

Geelong were heroes when they got up to win at home with 3 injuries against us. We get up to win with the same amount of injuries with a very young side away from home and get criticised for going defensive in the second half. Hard to follow some of our supporters.:rolleyes:

Some of our supporters could have Heidi Klum / Brad Pitt sitting next to them, and they would still complain !!!!!!.

There are some bitter posters around here some days, try smiling.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 390814

Good to see our young kids leading the way with distance covered. No Roos in top 5 for the match. As a team, we covered ~50km more than them (240 v 290). Couple more preseasons and we will run out quarters and games better.

That doesn't seem right to me? Hughes, Logue As top 5?? They pretty much play key position posts down back. No Brad Hill, Fyfe, Walters ?

Is Blakely our most consistent young gun? Tucker and Weller show flashes of premium footy but Connor is super impressive all game. Kicking is low and sharp.

It's incredible to think that this time last year Blakely was a dodgy kick with no defensive side to his game.

upload_2017-7-10_5-17-31.png

Connor's development has been breathtaking. He's an absolute credit to himself.

That doesn't seem right to me? Hughes, Logue As top 5?? They pretty much play key position posts down back. No Brad Hill, Fyfe, Walters ?
Even more impressive is Tucker only had 78% TOG. Logue 96%, the others around 90%, with Weller 82%. Anyway, I'm not usually a stats fan but stumbled across the GPS data in the AFL app and found it interesting.

IMG_1458.PNG

Good game! If North had stole it in the last minute I still wouldn't have been too upset after seeing so many young talent play well. My biggest fear with the Goldstein free is what it would have done to Darcy's confidence if he slotted it - he's on such a ride atm and I don't want anything pulling him underground.

Positives
- Nyhuis the goal-kicking prodigy, and the un-Ross Lyon gamble to throw him in defensive forward. I'm not sure if this will happen every week, but what a confidence booster in your first game. These young guys are playing confidently on instinct - I'm not seeing too much of the 'this-is-your-new-role-learn-it-thoroughly-approach' we've seen with other players in recent years.
- Can't speak higher of Blakely's development which thankfully some other posters here have; dude was getting dropped a couple of times last year for poor ball-use; literally seems like years ago now with his elite development. I love Micky Barlow to death but maybe... maybe I can understand the need for Blakely to be given every chance in the squad each week.
- I know my buddy Kersten isn't applying that heat on the ball, but his accuracy is a welcome relief - we don't have too many other players that can slot them like he can. He might do nothing all game but 2 goals from a few disposals can often be the difference between winning and losing. A confident KPF in the side would help him too.
- That clunking contested mark from Cox in front of goal... really loved that!!
- The continued development of Tucker and Hughes. Since Hughes has come back in his reading of the ball is becoming superb - reminds of Ibbotson at his intercepting best a few years ago, but with more poise off the boot. Tucker looks to be gaining confidence too - and I wasn't sure he was going to be a player for us... I now think they could both be elite after a good pre-season next year.
- Fyfe back to elite form and Walters gunning for AA selection.
- Hamling and Grey battling out the game despite injuries - might need a week to recover because the Slime will be targeting them next week.

Negatives
- Taking the foot off the pedal in the second half/running out of steam.
- Dead quiet game from Ballantyne, but he could be carrying something.
- Decision-making

A lot of positives to take out of the game, and we could be a sneaky to beat the Eagles next week - their confidence is shot and ours is building. Reckon we gotta give Grabener a go next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back