Play Nice Dustin Martin to North | 31/8: DM signed at RFC for 1.3m/7yrs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the whole 'wooden spooner' argument. But you still have to get th ball and you still have to kick the goals.

We've played plenty of wooden spooners. Who's the last North player to have a game like that?
And to be honest Yianni, Bolton did the right thing by Carlton and didnt thrown men back and flood the game.....I think Carlton weren't completely hopeless and thought there is some light starting to appear now.

Last edited:

Martin is a quality player sure, but regularly goes missing against quality teams. His finals record is poor.

If he was 600-700K then sure, go for it, but over 1mil is ridiculous - we could get two guns for that.
Maybe in 1997. 500k a year these days gets you Vickery and Mayne... No thankyou.

Martin is a quality player sure, but regularly goes missing against quality teams. His finals record is poor.

If he was 600-700K then sure, go for it, but over 1mil is ridiculous - we could get two guns for that.

With Dusty, the old financial advisor's line "past performance is not an indicator of future performance" applies. But in reverse.

I would ignore any of Martin's output from before 2016. His head was clearly not in the right space until then. That includes all of his finals.

I would be looking at his 2016 and what he produces in 2017 as the best guide to his future footy. Every indication is he is more sorted, more focussed and more mature.

North Melbourne has a war chest to make play for big-name free agents at the end of 2017
GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun
an hour ago

NORTH Melbourne is prepared to unlock a million-dollar war chest that could target the likes of Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe or another big name free agent at season’s end.

As the Kangaroos gear up for the next chapter in their evolution against West Coast today, unveiling six new players, it has emerged the club has significant room in its salary cap to chase a massive target.

The decision to not renew the contracts of Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo last August has partly made this possible.

The Roos made an unsuccessful multi-million pitch for Sydney young gun Issac Heeney last year and the club is certain to look at other options at the end of this year.

Options include free agent Martin, who dominated for Richmond in Thursday’s season opener but wants more than the $800,000 the Tigers are currently prepared to pay him, and Fyfe, who is yet to commit to Fremantle, but will be hard to prise out of Perth.

Coach Brad Scott said this week that the club was prepared to be “aggressive” in improving its playing list for the future, but was loath to discuss specific targets.

“I think we are really well positioned,” Scott said of North Melbourne’s philosophy. “(Last year) we were really aggressive in making sure we explored every option, when we made a clear decision on the direction we were going.

“This year, we will (again) explore every single option, whether it is drafting, trading or free agency, and then we will sit down and see how it ties in with our stage of development.”

c4b66e7c23e236d1b2b9bbb5d19e0a69

How would Nat Fyfe look in royal blue? Picture: Getty Images
“There will come a point in time when people sort of think ‘OK, I have a better understanding of what North Melbourne are doing’, and we get that opportunity in 2017. Should we stagger things out, or (do we say) ‘no, we want to give these exciting youngsters an opportunity’ ... and then we will be in a great position going forward.”

On Thursday the Herald Sun revealed the latest list of 2017 free agents, headlined by Martin, Fyfe, Brisbane’s Tom Rockliff and Geelong’s Steven Motlop, with Hawthorn closing the door on Luke Breust this week after locking him to a four-year deal.

The Kangaroos take on one of their favourite sons, Drew Petrie, in his first game for the Eagles, with Scott wishing the big man every success, other than in this particular match.

“I would love to build up a bit of a spiteful clash, but I can’t,” Scott said. “Personally, I love Drewie, he is a terrific guy.”

“We hope Drew has 21 really good home-and-away game in 2017 (other than Round 1). He has been a genuine icon and champion of this footy club.”

He said the club was looking forward to seeing Jack Ziebell’s evolution as a captain; the unveiling of new Roos Nathan Hrovat, Marley Williams, Jy Simpkin, Declan Mountford, Mitch Hibberd and Brayden Preuss today; Todd Goldstein’s quest to assume the mantle as the game’s best ruckman again; and the club’s history-making game against Western Bulldogs on Good Friday.

Scott said he preferred to look to the future, and didn’t want to look back on a difficult year in 2016, which included the loss of his brother, Ben, in November, who died of anaphylactic shock due to an unusual nut allergy.

“It’s not something I am going to talk about in public,” he said. “I have worked hard over the journey to separate my public and my private life, and that certainly fits into the private life.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cashed up Kangas?

Never thought I'd live to see the day

Yeh he is a Pie through and through. He wont go anywhere else. TBH he would be another NDS....we'd get good value for a few years and will slow down a pace and will be a little off the pace. But after tonights game he is definitely off to a great start.

He'll be 30 at the start of 2018. The money and length of contract to get him away from Collingwood would make it untenable.

If we have a mil per year to spend on a free agent, there are only 2 surely? Dustin and Fyfe are absolutely worth it, but it's massive overs for anyone else.
You wouldn't offer it to Josh Kelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back