North in breach of 2017 Draft Rules

Remove this Banner Ad

"AFL rules state that a player of any age who was invited to a draft combine – national, state or Rookie Me – cannot train with an AFL club or affiliated state-league team leading into the same year's drafts."

How is this a hard rule to understand?

got a bad feeling about this one. somehow the afl will take away our academy players and all of the f/s

"AFL rules state that a player of any age who was invited to a draft combine – national, state or Rookie Me – cannot train with an AFL club or affiliated state-league team leading into the same year's drafts."

How is this a hard rule to understand?

Why is this a rule, though?

Who cares who the kid trains with, it doesn't mean that he ends up at that club.

Tell that to Nick Blakey

That's father-son, though.

Besides, to get him, North have to give up a pick. So there is a chance they may still not end up with him, if another club outbids North with a better pick. So North has no more or less advantage than any other team does with father-sons under the current rules.

Didn't Jy train with Melbourne the year before we drafted him?

Yep, but in the same way Nakia Cockatoo trained with us prior to being drafted by Geelong.

images

AFL Academy kid placement with AFL approval.

Yep, but in the same way Nakia Cockatoo trained with us prior to being drafted by Geelong.

images

AFL Academy kid placement with AFL approval.

So The AFL bend their own rules.. o_O 'AFL approval' says 'because we can REGARDLESS of the ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is this a rule, though?

Who cares who the kid trains with, it doesn't mean that he ends up at that club.

Probably helps prevent draft tampering is my guess. It is part of the reason why clubs are not allowed to get involved in junior development outside of limited academies and the like.

Reading between the lines:

I think Brad Green was responsible for this blunder. As usual North were on top of it and sorted it out internally. It should be left at that. If the AFL want more they can have Goldstein.

270px-Division_of_GOLDSTEIN_2016.png

federal election.
Created 1984
MP Tim Wilson
Party Liberal
Namesake Vida Goldstein
Electors 104,931 (2016)
Area 50 km2 (19.3 sq mi)
Demographic Inner Metropolitan.

The Division of Goldstein is an Australian Electoral Division in Victoria. The division was created in 1984, when the former Division of Balaclava was abolished. It is named for Vida Goldstein, an early feministparliamentary candidate. It is located in the bayside suburbs of Melbourne, including Beaumaris, Bentleigh, Brighton, Caulfield South, Cheltenham, Gardenvale and Sandringham. It is a safe seat for the Liberal Party.

Toffs I tell ya's.

Edit; I'm keeping track of all your anti Goldstein posts for 2018. Currently at 167.:thumbsu:

federal election.
Created 1984
MP Tim Wilson
Party Liberal
Namesake Vida Goldstein
Electors 104,931 (2016)
Area 50 km2 (19.3 sq mi)

The Division of Goldstein is an Australian Electoral Division in Victoria. The division was created in 1984, when the former Division of Balaclava was abolished. It is named for Vida Goldstein, an early feministparliamentary candidate. It is located in the bayside suburbs of Melbourne, including Beaumaris, Bentleigh, Brighton, Caulfield South, Cheltenham, Gardenvale and Sandringham. It is a safe seat for the Liberal Party.

Toffs I tell ya's.

Edit; I'm keeping track of all your anti Goldstein posts for 2018. Currently at 167.:thumbsu:

There should be a 3-way battle between GG, yourself and Ozzy.

'Winner' gets to give the big fella a rubdown.

There should be a 3-way battle between GG, yourself and Ozzy.

'Winner' gets to give the big fella a rubdown.

Yeah reckon there a few more that are in the same camp, just won't speak up. I do know a fair few non BF posters who aint great fans of the man. Again I think he's got away with a fair bit under Brad' nice guy' Scott.

Lets hope he plays well, if not out for Preuss and Daw.

federal election.
Created 1984
MP Tim Wilson
Party Liberal
Namesake Vida Goldstein
Electors 104,931 (2016)
Area 50 km2 (19.3 sq mi)

Toffs I tell ya's.

Thank you. That's not nearly enough. 160 of those were during the trade period and it clearly didn't work.

Joyce > those running the AFL.
WOW! Those at the AFL must be bloody incompetent morons of the highest order if that is the case. :stern look

Zondor Fun Fact. Zondor has a W tattooed on his left arse cheek and another W tattooed on his right arse cheek. :stern look

WOW! Those at the AFL must be bloody incompetent morons of the highest order if that is the case. :stern look

Zondor Fun Fact. Zondor has a W tattooed on his left arse cheek and another W tattooed on his right arse cheek. :stern look
Big Walt Whitman fan?

Yeah i tried similar but made the rookie mistake of doing it in front of a mirror..... MoM, not quite the same is it.

Probably helps prevent draft tampering is my guess. It is part of the reason why clubs are not allowed to get involved in junior development outside of limited academies and the like.
It's also unfair on the players if taking time out to train with one or more clubs becomes a de facto requirement. That's why combines exist - to save players from multiple rounds of beep tests, interviews, etc as well as giving clubs a convenient place to have them all together.

No, that training thing is where all the AIS academy kids do pre-season placements with clubs for a couple of weeks.

Interestingly doing your placement at any club automatically qualifies you for Sydney Swans academy selection eligibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back