North lodges plan for massive Arden Street upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"NORTH Melbourne has lodged detailed plans for a $10 million redevelopment of its Arden St headquarters that will transform its home ground into a match-ready venue ahead of the club's entry into the AFLW in 2019.

The Kangaroos' proposed redevelopment will include:

• Two team change rooms
  • Umpires change rooms
  • Expanded warm-up areas
  • Coach's boxes
  • A media box
  • Medical facilities
  • Office space for the club's new AFLW and VFL staff.
Most of the new facilities will be housed in a two-storey extension that will be built on a vacant concrete slab adjacent to North's administration and training centre, while the coach's boxes and media box will be positioned in the existing building so they are near the wing.

A scoreboard and interchange benches will also be installed around the ground, along with improved lighting so the Roos' AFLW and VFL teams can train at night.

North recently lodged its redevelopment plans with the Melbourne City Council and is hoping the council will consider them at one of its scheduled December meetings.

North CEO Carl Dilena told AFL.com.au that if the club's plans were approved, works were expected to commence by April next year and to be completed by January 2019, in readiness for the Kangaroos' inaugural season in the AFLW.

Dilena was excited to be one step closer to watching North's AFLW team play at Arden St Oval and said the redevelopment would bind the club even more closely to its local community.

And with the population of that community set to explode as the Victorian Government moves to transform the traditionally industrial precincts of Macaulay and Arden into largely residential ones, Dilena says the club has a gilt-edged opportunity.

"The government is creating a massive residential suburb on our doorstep which is really exciting and is also a really big incentive for us to make sure we get the ground into a great position and we get the club positioned well too," Dilena said.

"We want to get our three-team model working within the club in an expanded facility, in an area where there's going to be massive growth over the next 10 years.

"We'll then look with the government and other planners at the broader precinct in terms of making sporting and recreational hubs for the area.

"The years ahead offer a once-in-a-generation opportunity and are really exciting"

North's redevelopment would be the first step in what it hopes will be a large-scale revamp that would transform its base into the biggest inner-city training complex in Melbourne.

AFL.com.au reported in May that the Kangaroos had submitted plans to the government in which its Arden St home's footprint would grow from 4.5ha to 11.2ha and would be upgraded to include:

• An indoor centre with a large synthetic oval
  • A second indoor centre with four multi-use hard courts
  • An indoor aquatic centre with a 50m pool
  • An outdoor synthetic oval with lighting
  • A café and other shops
The Kangaroos' plan was submitted in response to the government's proposed $7 billion redevelopment of Arden."

The link is http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-22/roos-lodge-plans-for-massive-arden-st-upgrade.

That area is ripe for development - close to the CBD, suburb undergoing urbanization (a lot of warehouse development), has existing older style hotels and commercial streets so won't turn into a windswept shithole like Docklands and any redeveloped green space will help the area.
Good news.

I suspect this will get up relatively easily.

I also think the AFLW team is what will make North financially bulletproof in the long term. The massive population growth in the area linked with a local club having both a women's and a men's side, means North will get what they missed out on when the clubs were first forming - a very big local fanbase.

That area is ripe for development - close to the CBD, suburb undergoing urbanization (a lot of warehouse development), has existing older style hotels and commercial streets so won't turn into a windswept shithole like Docklands and any redeveloped green space will help the area.
Good news.

There's already massive development going on, the infill of the E-Gate area, serviced by the Arden Metro, will take it to a new level. Very good news indeed.

Of the $10m cost, I reckon it will be a three way split between us, the AFL and government.

Given we have paid our debt off, we can afford to invest like this.

Shows how right we were to reject the fantasy $100m Gold Coast deal.

Does this differ from the May proposal? An update? Or another step?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s/news-story/682378d09a651b3395fd2b4b665bd3ac

Yeah, is different from May one. Bigger and better - we didn't know if we'd get AFLW team when May one lodged.

It is very smart by North, the rate of growth of AFLW means the AFL will need stadia that meet professional standards but don't need to be able to accommodate huge crowds. The shift to all Vic teams having their own VFL sides is similar. I expect that Arden Street will be hosting games every weekend from 2019 onwards.

I suspect this will get up relatively easily.

I also think the AFLW team is what will make North financially bulletproof in the long term. The massive population growth in the area linked with a local club having both a women's and a men's side, means North will get what they missed out on when the clubs were first forming - a very big local fanbase.

You can expect the AFL to kick the can even though they have put $0.00 into the new Perth Stadium.

You can expect the AFL to kick the can even though they have put $0.00 into the new Perth Stadium.

Yep, the AFL will chuck in millions of dollars, though government will also cough up plenty as there's a very big community usage element.

That's the element that's largely overlooked.

Yeah, is different from May one. Bigger and better - we didn't know if we'd get AFLW team when May one lodged.

It is very smart by North, the rate of growth of AFLW means the AFL will need stadia that meet professional standards but don't need to be able to accommodate huge [??? DISAGREE!!!] crowds. The shift to all Vic teams having their own VFL sides is similar. I expect that Arden Street will be hosting games every weekend from 2019 onwards.
This Arden St. Ground dev. is very good news for NMFC -as will the "new" rezoned suburbs of Macaulay & Arden (previously Industrial/warehouse precincts). Macaulay will have c.10,000 new residents over the next 30 years; Arden will accomodate over the next 30 years an additional 15,000 residents -also in medium/high rise appts.
Total net new residents 25,000; net new jobs 43,500.

The AFL will be pleased that these "new" residential & commercial suburbs are very close to Docklands Stadium -& its desire to convert DS into a 365 day pa, highly profitable entertainment/conference venue (ala Soldiers Field Stadium Chicago, the modern prototype, used 365 day pa).

www.theurbandeveloper.com/Vic-government-creates-new-suburb-cbd-edge/

https://vpa.vic.gov.au/project/arden/

I disagree, however, that Arden St should hold AFLW games for the following reasons:-

. there is, literally, nothing left of old Arden St -the old Grandstand demolished, embankments levelled out. Spectators at AFLW games should have properly tiered embankments, so they can CLEARLY see the playing action -ie not have their views obstructed by spectators in front (similar problem with Coll. FC's dump at Oly. Park).

. the capacity would be inadequate, at c. 5,000, all standing room. There are no seats left.

. there is no shade for spectators. This is essential as the AFLW will almost certainly be played in the Nov.- March hot period to give it clear air from the AFL.

We should not compromise/diminish/demean the AFLW by providing obviously substandard/too small facilities for the football starved, 10,000?+ crowds that will attend in the off-season.

. NM/Tas home games should be in Tas. -who are desperately in need of AFL "love" & development due to the destruction of GR AF there.
NM supporters will have plenty of opportunity to see their AFLW team play in Melb. away games.

. Whilst the 2 new suburbs will deliver a net 25,000 new residents over the next 30 years, Melb. is NOW having explosive growth in its nthn/NW suburbs -c.1,000,000+ people. It is in NMFC's strategic interest to cultivate fan growth in these massive areas with Academy Programs, & the odd VFL, AFLW, or VFLW (Melb. Uni.) match.
The Nth Melb. inner suburban area will always be miniscule in population (& appartment living/small houses have very few children).

.The inner Nth/NW areas of Melb. have a disproportionately high % of recently arrived immigrants -who, generally, have:-
- little interest in AF
- no interest in sport, or prefer soccer
- lower financial/car ownership options to pursue Club sport.
The middle & outer Nth/NW demographics are far more favourable for NMFC to pursue the urgent need for North to grow its fan base.

Last edited:

Re Perth stadium, I agree sports should contribute proportionately....do you know how much the NRL is paying to rent Perth Stadium for the SOO in 2019? Maybe we could use that as a benchmark

This isn't meant to bag the Op or North, as the AFL use the word massive in their headline, but when I saw massive I was thinking $60m.

WCE and Hawks are both doing $60m facilities investment. Freo are involved with a $109m facility with Curtain University and Cockburn council. GC have pigged back off a Comm Games and have a new $40m facilities. Brisbane are looking at a $70m facility at Springfield.

I guess the land footprint growing to 11.2 ha up from 4.5 ha that close to the city is a massive piece of land.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't mean to bag the Op or North, as the AFL use the word massive in their headline, but when I saw massive I was thinking $60m.

WCE and Hawks are both doing $60m facilities investment. Freo are involved with a $109m facility with Curtain University and Cockburn council. GC have pigged back off a Comm Games and have a new $40m facilities. Brisbane are looking at a $70m facility at Springfield.

I guess the land footprint growing to 11.2 ha up from 4.5 ha that close to the city is a massive piece of land.

$7 BILLION

This isn't mean to bag the Op or North, as the AFL use the word massive in their headline, but when I saw massive I was thinking $60m.

A lot of what is required is in place.

Like, as it says, the slab has already been laid for a key part of the extension.

This Arden St. Ground dev. is very good news for NMFC -as will the "new" rezoned suburbs of Macaulay & Arden (previously Industrial/warehouse precincts). Macaulay will have c.10,000 new residents over the next 30 years; Arden will accomodate over the next 30 years an additional 15,000 residents -also in medium/high rise appts.
Total net new residents 25,000; net new jobs 43,500.

The AFL will be pleased that these "new" residential & commercial suburbs are very close to Docklands Stadium -& its desire to convert DS into a 365 day pa, highly profitable entertainment/conference venue (ala Soldiers Field Stadium Chicago, the modern prototype, used 365 day pa).

www.theurbandeveloper.com/Vic-government-creates-new-suburb-cbd-edge/

https://vpa.vic.gov.au/project/arden/

I disagree, however, that Arden St should hold AFLW games for the following reasons:-

. there is, literally, nothing left of old Arden St -the old Grandstand demolished, embankments levelled out. Spectators at AFLW games should have properly tiered embankments, so they can CLEARLY see the playing action -ie not have their views obstructed by spectators in front (similar problem with Coll. FC's dump at Oly. Park).

. the capacity would be inadequate, at c. 5,000, all standing room. There are no seats left.

. there is no shade for spectators. This is essential as the AFLW will almost certainly be played in the Nov.- March hot period to give it clear air from the AFL.

We should not compromise/diminish/demean the AFLW by providing obviously substandard/too small facilities for the football starved, 10,000?+ crowds that will attend in the off-season.

. NM/Tas home games should be in Tas. -who are desperately in need of AFL "love" & development due to the destruction of GR AF there.
NM supporters will have plenty of opportunity to see their AFLW team play in Melb. away games.

. Whilst the 2 new suburbs will deliver a net 25,000 new residents over the next 30 years, Melb. is NOW having explosive growth in its nthn/NW suburbs -c.1,000,000+ people. It is in NMFC's strategic interest to cultivate fan growth in these massive areas with Academy Programs, & the odd VFL, AFLW, or VFLW (Melb. Uni.) match.
The Nth Melb. inner suburban area will always be miniscule in population (& appartment living/small houses have very few children).

.The inner Nth/NW areas of Melb. have a disproportinately high % of recently arrived immigrants -who, generally, have:-
- little interest in AF
- no interest in sport, or prefer soccer
- lower financial/car ownership options to pursue Club sport.
The middle & outer Nth/NW demographics are far more favourable for NMFC to pursue the urgent need for North to grow its fan base.

Yeah, we have a relationship and Academy thingo and Huddle out at Wyndham.

Re Perth stadium, I agree sports should contribute proportionately....do you know how much the NRL is paying to rent Perth Stadium for the SOO in 2019? Maybe we could use that as a benchmark

Like the NRL game (World Club Challenge) at AAMI is my understanding, Tourism Vic, (Tourism WA) - the Eagles are putting $40m + into the redevelopment at Lathlain IF that has anything to do with it?

What is $7 billion? The cost of the new suburb?
As per the OP, $7 billion (in 2017 $) is what will be spent in the new suburb of Arden over the next 30 years.

City fringe land in the inner north of Melb. is much less expensive than inner east & south. Planners, for this reason, are anticipating there will be a net 43,500 new jobs in the "new" Arden & Macauley. This land will be very attractive for the new commercial businesses -cheaper to buy, & less Land Tax/Rates cf. inner east & south.

These new jobs, generally paying above average wages, will also create new sponsorship opportunities for NMFC from the new employers attracted to these new commercial precincts.

Employers will also find advantageous the new nthn. underground stations being built (Metro Tunnel -completion 2026) near Arden St, & at Parkville. Currently, the Underground's only "northern"Station is La Trobe St -Melb. Central.

Last edited:
Like the NRL game (World Club Challenge) at AAMI is my understanding, Tourism Vic, (Tourism WA) - the Eagles are putting $40m + into the redevelopment at Lathlain IF that has anything to do with it?

I'm confused. So the government is paying the nrl to play the SOO there? So, effectively, you think the afl should pay down the stadium so the state can pay other codes to play there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back