Autopsy North lose to the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily, but doing so puts us at a disadvantage in negotiations with experienced candidates.

The real question is are we doing further damage by not acting now?
I reckon Blakey would be our only realistic option for a caretaker coach but would he want it? Understand that he has applied for other senior jobs in years gone by and missed out.

Torn phone books bring back so many memories. Standing with a mate at Princes Park mid 70s when Carlton kicked a goal. Phone book pieces flew everywhere. Mate coughed - a piece stuck on his tongue. He peeled it off. Look at this, he says. It was his name, address and phone number. (His parents of course).
1656248253237.png

As a nearly 50 year member and not being a fan of BS in his later years I am loathe to wanting another coach but this one just isn't working. His game plan or lack there of means the kids have NO idea what they should be doing. They don't run for eachother, they are so stagnant.
There are other factors contributing to our losses though
Larkey is getting absolutely mauled every single time he goes near a mark, there was an instance today where he had both arms pinned and he was driven into the ground and he didn't get a free kick, if it had been ANYONE else on another team free kick everyday. Nothing said, why? Why don't we complain like Dimma and Scott to protect our players?
There are players out there getting games despite stinking it up every week why? I understand we have a depth issue but play the kids, give Lazzaro, Ford etc game time they couldn't be any worse than what we are dishing up and we can see what they are made of.
We so lack leadership, I'm sorry but Jack is well past it and Jy, LMac and Turner are not the answer. It is clear that JHF has the mongrel in him to lead by example and yep he is just a kid but he should be elevated next year and I am sure he would bring others along with him. Even Cam Z deserves a shot, he give a Sh!t when quite clearly others don't.
Make Goldy the captain for 2023 yes I get it might only be 1 yr, 2 at the most but it will JHF and CZ a chance to flourish and I think a very different team goes out each week
Something needs to change and fast

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought the Noble presser was sad. It is plain that it could very well be his last and the smell of death was in the air.

I think it is primarily a list problem For example our two senior on ballers, Jed and Jy, are C graders at best who cannot hit simple targets. Larkey is a handy second target, Cam Z would be a good player in a good team. I could go on but it's depressing.

I went to the Cats and Tiges and it was a great game, worth every cent. I really enjoyed the whole experience, Only a died in the wool supporter would pay to us play at the moment.

Unfortunately we are three years off being competitive. Forget about finals.
Look I get what you're saying, but I disagree. We pulled the trigger on this rebuild precisely because we thought we had the nucleus of a strong list. Now all those blokes are C graders and not good enough. If that's the case, then they've gone backward, and even if it's a lost problem now, that regression is on the coaching group.

Very unusual putting McKay forward, playing guys out of position is one way to lock in the no. 1 pick. I'm all for experimenting but came out of the blue.
Gameplan is not working and some of that's coaches but not sure the coaches would've instructed the players to stand still down the ground.
We don't even really try go corridor anymore. I get why Nobes would want to avoid that because that's prime candicacy for turnovers and score against and lets be honest they can't hit the backside of a barn animal as they'd say in FIFA, but at least we could kick more than 8 goals in a game.
Something has gone wrong somewhere, not sustainable and the whole club has to take a slice of blame pie.
Some real strange decisions made, was it the recruiters or Noble? Greenwood was likely a Noble call and made sense with no Cunners but Jed and Simpkin are very similar slow types. Why trade for CCJ? Did they think Xerri was out the door? Why not chase Mabiol Chol who wouldn't have cost draft capital?
If you wanted to move Goldy on you make that move many years earlier when he has some currency. Strange recruiting/list decisions.
List is not as bad as this but still has holes everywhere, limited key position depth, limited wing depth. no quality small defenders, half backs and ball users.
Players played out of position because of this. I get it can't be fixed over night and there's been some positives with Perez, Curtis and Taylor.
At this point we might as well get a look at McGuinness, Comben, Spicer, P Walker and Goater etc. Give them a taste of AFL level for next year.

All the necessary building blocks for an improved performance were there.

Best player availability all year.
Fresh off the bye.
A team close to our level.
A home ground advantage.

Numerically this isn't our worse loss under noble, but for me it was the most demoralizing. If he can't conjure up any improvement under those circumstances, then I'm sorry but his position is untenable. Of course he's not the only one that should or will go, and obviously the trigger won't be pulled while Walsh is still doing his review.

Frankly we're at the stage where if our leadership group had any balls they'd go out and get COVID and infect as much of the list as possible just to give us a time out. Tongue in cheek but, but, some of the failures we're seeing lie squarely on their heads too and IMO they deserve a drive bye.

Shout out for Paul "This rebuild is successful" Roos, who was mentoring Noble last year and who we give weakly cheques to for his company to do leadership work with us. Fantastic value for money.

Sigh.

Anyway for the sparse positives... Archer impressed me, I feel bad that Jackson's debut was under such circumstances, but he acquitted himself well; head up but let it burn and turn into motivation. Xerri was decent around the ground today, Paul Curtis continues to impress in various ways, Hall was great, Curtis Taylor had one of his better games, and last but not least no one will ever be able to force me to watch a replay.

IMO, his best position is run with midfield and wing. He should be assigned a role of the oppositions best runner each week. Not a hard tag, but use his running capacity to limit their transition ball and win his own footy. His game against Sam Walsh last year was exactly how he should be used.

His ball use in tight is just shocking. Playing a more outside role will help.
We gave Jy a lot of wing time last year and he won the Syd...

Both the gameplan and individual positions have some incredibly baffling aspects that can't simply be ascribed to experimenting.

What leadership has she shown? We are experiencing our worst ever season since the 70s which was 40 years ago, and she's done nothing of note since she became President to right the ship. She might be a nice person, passionate about North, etc, (as many of us on here are), but to date she's demonstrated nothing to justify her role as President.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just haven't seen the things she's done.

In just the last month she has twice gone on the front foot to rebuff media bullshit, she did a very pointed and concise doorstop interview with the press, and most recently she was key in hiring Walsh to review everything.

She's not the coach, she can't just do pressers three times a week and then move a bunch of magnets on the board to show she is doing something. Even without the media interventions, just having the cahonies to say "s**t aint right" and find someone of Walsh's calibre to come in mid season and review things is good leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the Noble presser was sad. It is plain that it could very well be his last and the smell of death was in the air.

I think it is primarily a list problem For example our two senior on ballers, Jed and Jy, are C graders at best who cannot hit simple targets. Larkey is a handy second target, Cam Z would be a good player in a good team. I could go on but it's depressing.

I went to the Cats and Tiges and it was a great game, worth every cent. I really enjoyed the whole experience, Only a died in the wool supporter would pay to us play at the moment.

Unfortunately we are three years off being competitive. Forget about finals.
The tigers and cats game was a ripper, but even yesterdays games watching the Pies beat the Giants and then the Port/Suns game shows just how poor we are.
We shouldn’t be. North are not watchable at the moment. Our brand is shot.

Same old rubbish. No movement, no accountability. Players wandering around aimlessly. We have more players waiting down than going up. Sleevo is a joke. He might put a finger tip in a contest sometimes. Sad how scared of the ball he is.

We gave Jy a lot of wing time last year and he won the Syd...

Both the gameplan and individual positions have some incredibly baffling aspects that can't simply be ascribed to experimenting.
I'd actually wonder if in the process of stemming the size of losses that the coaches have gone away from what they were building last year.

Last year we accepted it because the brand was exciting and when it clicked it looked awesome (for those small moments).

This safe style is essentially what Shaw gave us in 2020.

If there is pressure on the coaches to change style to stem margins then that pressure is damaging the team.

Speaking of rodents have one above me in the roof at the moment, hey you up there would u like a snack ?View attachment 1433674

Interesting you say this the rains seem to have brought this up again.

This clip fair dinkum disrupted the little ****s and drove them out. No deceased rodents in your roofspace that way.

Be warned - it upsets pets though so use judiciously.

I wached until half time and then by the grace of God had to go out and didn't see the non event that was the second half.
But you could already see what happend in the second half midway though the second Q.
Players stopped working and number of times we got the ball on the HBF and had to kick it long down the line as no one was moving for a short kick.
Given we have almost no one who can take a contested mark, the long kick down the line is almost a given to end up in the hands of the Crows.

I did watch the Geelong Richmond game on Saturday. What a difference in tackling both in technique and intensity.
This frustrates me more than anything, as Tackling can be taught in a short period of time that we are the worst tackling team in the AFL PERIOD.
The Tigers really show pride and contest the ball on the deck with massive intensity, the Cats were fantastic at holding their structures against a barrage of physical aggression. Great game and made me realise just how far we are off the pace.

Jy needs to be practicing kicking everyday. He is butching the ball so many times hes become a liablility.

We need to trade for foot skills, speed, a small crumming forward and a Key denfender.

BigRed

Never in all my years of following footy have I experienced anything like this.
I used to watch my WAFL side get pumped virtually every week in WAFL, often conceding more than 30 goals. They had far less talent, but they always gave their all and each game brought real hope.
Despite the thrashings, it was still fun and I couldn't wait to get there each week. Every few weeks they'd threaten to cause an upset and when they did it was the absolute best feeling after an unexpected win.
They are the payoff during down times - that feeling of elation at the final siren of watching something memorable. Gee I miss that.
We haven't had that feeling once this year, the win over the Eagles felt like a loss due to their WAFL team playing. That's in 16 games, including preseason.
Bar the Sydney game, we haven't one other time been anywhere even near daring to dream of an upset. And you wouldn't expect us to win another game this year.
We've barely even played any good quarters. There was a glimpse of excitement in the second quarter against the Bulldogs but precious little since.
There's almost no anticipation around watching us play each weekend, as the result is a given and it's just a matter of what the margin will be. As a North tragic I still watch but it's generally just a relief when it's over. The anticipation of the weekend is not there. A mate of mine who is a North fan compared it to supporting a family member through a terminal illness! I watched yesterday's game with another North mate, he looked like he'd just sat through a funeral by the end of it.
My kids don't watch a minute and son is over being teased about North at school. I just keep telling him one day it will all prove worth it, but a few years seems like an eternity to kids.
Bad decisions made over a number of years by several people have led us to this point and it's bleak.
Players who should be stepping up have either stalled, or worse gone backwards. Injuries and illness haven't helped, but even so we should be able to muster up some level of competitiveness at some point.
The young guys that you hope will catch the eye during the rebuild aren't really doing so with any regularity. You can't tell me we don't have enough young talent to be showing more, at least for periods in game. There are a lot of early picks on our list. The signs were there late last year that we could do it, but have vanished. Do we really miss an aging Cunners that much?
It is clear we desperately need more elite young talent, but we have almost no draft capital it seems.
And we need to retain the best of what we have, which may or may not be problematic given our woes. We will find out on that at the end of the season.
Funnily enough, as a WA-based fan I always said if we only win one game a year let it be the Eagles. I never thought it might actually happen!
Like everyone here I love the club, and it has been the reason for some of the most joyous moments of my life, so I will just keep watching and hoping that the wheel turns. Looking for just the smallest signs we've turned the corner and that perhaps next week will be the one.
We need the right people making the right decisions, but it looks like a very long road ahead.
Every now and then someone survives a terminal illness don't they? (Am watching Breaking Bad S3, so no spoilers please!)
Cmon North!

At least Jy can find the ball. Every week we seem to have a handful of mid-sized players who can't crack 10 touches.
Yeh finding the pill is pointless if you grub kick it, or miss a handball completely, or burn the lead by blasting it over their heads and blindly dump kicking it over the shoulder. His skills were deplorable yesterday.

I used to watch my WAFL side get pumped virtually every week in WAFL, often conceding more than 30 goals. They had far less talent, but they always gave their all and each game brought real hope.
Despite the thrashings, it was still fun and I couldn't wait to get there each week. Every few weeks they'd threaten to cause an upset and when they did it was the absolute best feeling after an unexpected win.
They are the payoff during down times - that feeling of elation at the final siren of watching something memorable. Gee I miss that.
We haven't had that feeling once this year, the win over the Eagles felt like a loss due to their WAFL team playing. That's in 16 games, including preseason.
Bar the Sydney game, we haven't one other time been anywhere even near daring to dream of an upset. And you wouldn't expect us to win another game this year.
We've barely even played any good quarters. There was a glimpse of excitement in the second quarter against the Bulldogs but precious little since.
There's almost no anticipation around watching us play each weekend, as the result is a given and it's just a matter of what the margin will be. As a North tragic I still watch but it's generally just a relief when it's over. The anticipation of the weekend is not there. A mate of mine who is a North fan compared it to supporting a family member through a terminal illness! I watched yesterday's game with another North mate, he looked like he'd just sat through a funeral by the end of it.
My kids don't watch a minute and son is over being teased about North at school. I just keep telling him one day it will all prove worth it, but a few years seems like an eternity to kids.
Bad decisions made over a number of years by several people have led us to this point and it's bleak.
Players who should be stepping up have either stalled, or worse gone backwards. Injuries and illness haven't helped, but even so we should be able to muster up some level of competitiveness at some point.
The young guys that you hope will catch the eye during the rebuild aren't really doing so with any regularity. You can't tell me we don't have enough young talent to be showing more, at least for periods in game. There are a lot of early picks on our list. The signs were there late last year that we could do it, but have vanished. Do we really miss an aging Cunners that much?
It is clear we desperately need more elite young talent, but we have almost no draft capital it seems.
And we need to retain the best of what we have, which may or may not be problematic given our woes. We will find out on that at the end of the season.
Funnily enough, as a WA-based fan I always said if we only win one game a year let it be the Eagles. I never thought it might actually happen!
Like everyone here I love the club, and it has been the reason for some of the most joyous moments of my life, so I will just keep watching and hoping that the wheel turns. Looking for just the smallest signs we've turned the corner and that perhaps next week will be the one.
We need the right people making the right decisions, but it looks like a very long road ahead.
Every now and then someone survives a terminal illness don't they? (Am watching Breaking Bad S3, so no spoilers please!)
Cmon North!

Pretty close to me - I can't recall us ever being this noncompetitive for this long. As much as I believe we have some balance related holes in our list I actually don't believe that there is a huge lack of talent - yes, too much of that talent is not mature / fit enough but I believe the nucleus is there and can be built around. Sadly for me that means I also believe that it is not sustainable for us to continue without change at the top. I don't think we ever gave Noble a realistic shot at things and some of it is extremely frustrating - having holes in key positions whilst developing isn't the end of the world however we have done that whilst also gutting any real senior depth, the combination is not sustainable and given our injury history over the last 4-5 years it seems reckless to not retain some more depth. Without naming names and contributing to a pile on we should be in a position where we can drop senior players who aren't carrying their weight instead of being in a position where that is almost unthinkable as we are too light across the field.

At least Jy can find the ball. Every week we seem to have a handful of mid-sized players who can't crack 10 touches.
I want to say that Jy puts in every week. I think my postings about him are far too negative. He's not a talented player but if everyone on the list had his attitude we would be in a better space.

Cmon North!
60 year plus member here. I agree Scotty. We are losing a generation of supporters that we will never recover. We are at our lowest ebb for many years. And I see nothing from the club that makes me confident we are on the road to recovery. I see very few players that have improved from last year, a game plan that is unfathomable and continuous thrashings. We don’t even give a yelp. Now our one true hope for glory (JHF) seems disengaged along with a group of team mates. As an old supporter I have seen this before, but not as bad as this imho. But to the newbies, especially kids, it is soul destroying. We need something to give us hope. The club will continue to hide behind the review. Noble keeps telling us about a quarter in the game where we did well like it is the future hope. Make a change now. Noble can pi55 off now. We have a huge job trying to re-engage the players he has lost - we have a huge job trying to instill accountability again because there sems little of that. We have to worry about the recruiting ability with an off field team that is decimated. Big question marks over Rawlings ability to lead that area. Whilst we accept this developing losing culture it gets harder and harder to turn it around. We need a major change right now. I’m with you Scotty. We are desperate right now.

Last edited:
What's really funny (or depressing depending on how you look at it) is this 12 game losing streak we are currently enduring just sneaks into our top 10 all-time losing streaks.

35 - R17 1933 - R15 1935
33 - R6 1930 - R2 1932
17 - R22 1971 - R16 1972
16 - R16 1928 - R13 1929
16 - R10 2020 - R8 2021
15 - R5 1927 - R1 1928
14 - R4 1968 - R17 1968
12 - R17 1925 - R12 1926
12 - R10 1970 - R21 1970
12+ - R3 2022 - R15 2022

And with Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond to come in the next three weeks it will undoubtably climb to at least 15 before we have a chance at another victory against either Hawthorn or Essendon.

And to finish with a little piece of trivia, the 1971/72 losing streak began on August 28 1971, one week before I was born and finished with victory on July 29 1972. I was 329 days old before North had a win.
You can add a minimum of 30 to that. Eight more this year, and 22 next, are locked in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back