North Make Godfather Offer To Kelly

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Boxhead_31, Apr 4, 2017.

1. the big lebowski

the big lebowski Norm Smith Medallist

North Melbourne
    Oct 4, 2006
    The hood
    Out of interest, say the dogs finished with pick 15 this year, would you be happy to give that up for Goldy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Footscray, The Exers
    Dec 6, 2005
    In the moment
    We'd have to consider it (with something coming back), Goldy plays until Tim English is ready for senior football in 2-3 years time.
    We're pretty happy with what Roughy gives us but he's only played one year (2016) without significant injury, Boyd is a forward/ruck not a no 1 ruck and Campbell is more depth than genuine AFL no 1 ruck.

The issue is we traded our first rounders away more than once in the past few years so AFL first-round selection restrictions will start to apply, and by all account Dalrymple rates this draft so may want to keep picks.

3. ManOfClay

ManOfClay Day Off

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Jan 27, 2012
    On the couch
    You know I hate to say I told you so

4. Ryz

Ryz Moderator

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Newcastle Utd, Dallas Mavs, UFC
    Aug 26, 2002
    Archer's Line
    We could win a gazillion flags in a row, and our perception and how we're represented by the media wouldn't change one iota.

Nothings changed Gus.

Prison Bars and Jesslc like this.
  5. The_Flying_Egg

The_Flying_Egg Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Barnsley FC, Bulls, Heart
    Jul 15, 2001
    I wouldn't. .. at this stage I'm not sure he's any better than Roughead. He was terrible this year. He should have very little trade value

Testekill likes this.
  6. theyellowsash

theyellowsash Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Feb 9, 2009
    Footscray
    Indeed nothing has changed. Star players have consistently rejected record breaking offers to move to your club.

Something must be off at north for so many players to turn down such incredible offers.

Bloodied52 likes this.
  7. Ryz

Ryz Moderator

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Aug 26, 2002
    Archer's Line
    We're going for established players firmly entrenched at clubs and said clubs have remunerated the ones that have stayed pretty well. Richmond made a record breaking deal to keep Dustin but it's being presented by the media that he's a loyal player playing for peanuts.

I don't really engage in the tit for tat shit that's spilled over from the D&T board, but if you want to continue to get caught up in it, be my guest.

Prison Bars and B4Bear like this.
  8. theyellowsash

theyellowsash Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Feb 9, 2009
    Footscray
    You're the one claiming the media is misrepresenting your club but your club was the one that made it public that you were going after a handful of absolute stars with insane offers, your coach even insinuated that his future could be effected by the failure to recruit said players. When it's the club itself putting itself in the firing line you have to wear the criticism for failure.

9. rfctiger74

rfctiger74 Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    Aug 22, 2009
    It was three of your posters who started the whole cross boards shit fight, but yeah, kangas the victims.... again

10. GoTigers2015

GoTigers2015 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Orica Scott
    Oct 27, 2014
    Hereford, UK
    Thought this thread was about Kelly. Is he still going to North?

11. teknodeejay

teknodeejay Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
    Apr 14, 2004
    Melbourne
    If dusty and Kelly wanted to be in the hunt for premierships then they wouldn't be signing up with North Melbourne you'd think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Jobe Watson

Jobe Watson Brownlow Medalist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Jun 12, 2009
    Melbourne
    Are North the least attractive Melbourne club at the moment?

13. Ryz

Ryz Moderator

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Aug 26, 2002
    Archer's Line
    Huh? Thought my post was a reasonable response to the post which was thinly veiled trolling at best. Do you not agree?

Player more than likely staying at his club, just like another last week, more power to them and congrats to those club. Sun will still rise in the morning.

Demonic Ascent and telsor like this.
  14. Thats Wright

Thats Wright Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Jan 16, 2011
    Melbourne
    Probably Essendon.

evo and Jesslc like this.
  15. Page8383

Page8383 Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Sep 6, 2007
    Sydney
    Disappointed that Josh is looking to extend at Giants, not devastated. It's very hard to entice players who are content at their current clubs and it is always unlikely that they'll sign.
    Most signings since free agency have been players who are unhappy, have nominated a destination or are late 20s looking to make the most of their last big contract.
    Franklin is probably the standout poaching where he took the godfather offer.
    Interesting that reports are that Josh has only extended for two years.
    Clearly has an end game in mind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

16. SherbertLemon

SherbertLemon Club Legend

Essendon
    Apr 7, 2013
    Take your goggles off mate. It's clearly north at this stage. Peaks and troughs.

captain cotch 9 likes this.
  17. Thats Wright

North Melbourne
    Jan 16, 2011
    Melbourne
    Would you join a club guaranteed to cop a finals flogging, fresh off the worst cheating in the history of the game?

Short memory.

ApplecrossWC likes this.
  18. SherbertLemon

SherbertLemon Club Legend

Essendon
    Apr 7, 2013
    Dude, the sanctions have finished?

Now we have a young list and the best facilities in the AFL with one of the biggest membership bases and attendance rates.

We lost to SYDNEY in SYDNEY. Have a look at the results for the last few games there bucko. We have a young developing list capable of beating teams like Geelong.

You can't get out of the past. The present is all that matters. I sincerely hope you land Kelly, but your club is the least attractive by 20 country miles.

19. Thats Wright

North Melbourne
    Jan 16, 2011
    Melbourne
    Its more likely to be the media/AFL and don supporters that will pretend the Hird years didn't happen. It wasn't long ago.

But yes, normally the media would put some of the blame on the coach when players don't turn up. Not with Scott, somehow its the club.

Dons hanging in there but circling the depths of the barrel. The media generally fluff them up. Even sycophants like Sam Newman must have an Essendon mate that warps his honest appraisal of the tulla laboratory.

ApplecrossWC likes this.
  20. Rance2Mewtwo

Rance2Mewtwo Team Captain

Richmond
    Jul 31, 2016
    Thinking about it from a neutral's perspective, in the modern era honestly I'd want to start a small business venture on the side for when I retire and North's low exposure and small fan base would significantly reduce my power to generate money through AFL fame.

This is one of North's biggest modern day challenges.

A lot of star players now understand the value of an extra 100k social media followers.

Essendon are a massive club and can set you up after your footy life whereas North always carries that slight risk of relocation in 10+ years.

21. Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Hawkie_McHawkHawk All Australian

Hawthorn
    Sep 15, 2006
    melbourne
    Why does something have to be off? They've gone after the top 1% of players in the league, whose teams are already have the premiership window opening and they're mates play there. Not everybody values $ as the be all and end all.

I think it may work out as a blessing for north in the end, hit the draft hard over the next couple of years and bring up their own champions from the beginning.

22. Jesslc

Jesslc Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Mar 16, 2015
    Nah can't remember the last good player that Essendon picked up. oh wait... Ryan Crowley?

23. DrMike

DrMike Premium Platinum

Richmond
    May 13, 2012
    Perth
    I think the second part of that is the issue. Under Brad name one player you could say has developed into a champion.

24. Young Gun #6

Young Gun #6 Premiership Player

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Juventus, Suns
    May 24, 2008
    Melbourne
    Probably the least attractive of any club in Australia outside of Gold Coast but at least they still have some untapped potential with a heap of kids and a new coach.

25. Thats Wright

North Melbourne
    Jan 16, 2011
    Melbourne
    Not necessarily. Sounds like you're basing this on the back of your son of a drug lord, that smashed your salary cap.

Pet memberships don't pay the bills in retirement. 5 million over 10 years is a good base to set yourself up regardless of dodgy deals and false promises from boards.