North may hire an ex netty coach as AFL head coach

Remove this Banner Ad

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
North have a female netball coach in among the last 9 persons to get the head coaching job

All jokes aside , I believe she has a very successful resume in netty and has coached the national team

The game probably isn’t ready for such a leap ( particularly taking on a team in North’s shoes ) but would it be possible for a female coach from another sport to succeed

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Maybe someone from North’s been watching Ted Lasso( not a bad show by the way )

I don't think they'd get the chance, not yet. But I also think AFL clubs are too narrow minded in who they employ as coaches in general.

Where did you hear she was on their shortlist? They rejected her application already without so much as an interview.

Not surprising, can't see how coaching netball would translate to coaching footy outside of the motivational and organization skills. Would think playing style and tactics might need to be looked into at some point..

Where did you hear she was on their shortlist? They rejected her application already without so much as an interview.

North’s coaching thread , though it was something worth discussing

Oh well back to crying in our beers over Jesse Hogan then

I don't think there's an issue with her being a woman so much as having no experience in the AFL system and trying to go straight for one of the top jobs.

would it be possible for a female coach from another sport to succeed

Hmmm...

Head coach from another sport, irrespective of gender could succeed at the job, but wouldn't be appointed, AFL is a pretty exclusive sorta place.

A fresh look at the game could work. If you are an excellent strategist and people motivator and were an outstanding coach from one of the big sports, why not. You could study the game and work it out, you don't need to go to Harvard University to understand AFL, but you'd have to really step backwards on skills coaching and completely trust and leave that to your assistants.

Hell, you would probably be highly focussed on coaching the assistants on strategy, and the leadership group on tactics and letting them run with it. Probably that's what coaches should be doing instead of micromanaging, should be baking/talking to the assistant in the box on game day who then talks to/bakes the player on the phone instead of the head coach doing that.

AFL on game day looks like, A company Captain having direct command of all the troops with the lieutenants hanging around and not doing much (like the heads behind a politician whose job is just to nod "yes" to everything they say).

Wouldn't the issue be tactical? Head coaches of Australian rules sides are expected to be in match-day tactical control. Anybody with sufficient grasp of the tactics (combined with the other skills of course) should be able to coach an AFL side, man, women, gender non specific etc. But if they're not across the details, which you can hardly expected to be after a lifetime in another code, then surely its a no until if and when the sport moves to a more soccer like managerial system.

Wouldn't the issue be tactical? Head coaches of Australian rules sides are expected to be in match-day tactical control. Anybody with sufficient grasp of the tactics (combined with the other skills of course) should be able to coach an AFL side, man, women, gender non specific etc. But if they're not across the details, which you can hardly expected to be after a lifetime in another code, then surely its a no until if and when the sport moves to a more soccer like managerial system.
I think some coaches are more hands-on with strategy, while others will leave that to others, so I don't think it's a strict requirement.

She says she's been watching the game her whole life. So she's probably got a fair idea.

The strategy issue might come down to the individual's own set of talents and ability to take a flexible and holistic/big picture viewpoint. Coming from another sport and dissecting the tactics there, it'd probably give real insights into the tactical side that you might not have if you were immersed in the one game forever and/or it was your initiation into strategy. So possibly gain a greater opportunity to develop a real lateral take on how it works.

Given that it's difficult for a coach who has not played AFL to get the head coaching job let alone her coming in from netball as well it's a highly unlikely scenario.

It would be great if she could be brought into an AFL club to see how she would go and move her up the ranks if it goes well rather than an all or bust top job first up.

North are not in a position to try any Hail Mary type coaching moves as they need a steadying force to stabilize the club for a few years imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back