marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Ahead of the 150th anniversary dinner on August 3rd where the heritage committee will be naming our ten best players of all time (in order), I’m interested to see if anyone here wants to have a crack at it...

Is Carey a lock for number 1?
Anyone from left field to crack the top 10?
Will Liam Anthony make the top 150?

Arch is by far my favourite ever north player but is he top 10 ‘best’?

Depends what the criteria is, but if achievements/awards are a factor then he probably is.

On pure footballing ability you'd have to consider Wade and Davis but they played a lot longer at other clubs.

1. Carey
2. Blight
3. Aylett
4. Greig
5. Dench
6. Cable
7. Foote
8. Schimmelbusch
9. Harvey
10. Glendinning/Carter/Teasdale/Larkin/Dempsey/Longmire/Dugdale/Murray/Davis/Dwyer.............

I can't really factor the pre-1940's blokes.

The "Invincibles" would have had guns, Syd Barker & Charlie Cameron were guns, as was Johnny Lewis, and Neville Huggins was purportedly the highest paid player in the country in 1936.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t have thought so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arch might sneak in around the 30's-40's.

Sam Kekovich would have genuine top 5 claims if he had maintained fitness & form.

The problem with compiling these lists is that I didn't see anyone prior to about 1996, and even then I wasn't actually able to form reasonable judgements on footy until I was about 14 or 15, so about 2005-ish. It makes it hard then to judge players from before that time against players I've actually seen.

Personally, I just go with players in my lifetime, so from about 1991 because at least then I have some sort of frame of reference. On that basis:

1. Carey
2. Harvey
3. Archer
4. Stevens
5. McKernan
6. Grant
7. Schwass
8. Higgins
9. Swallow
10. Cunnington

Even then I'm not particularly happy with that list because, while I idolised most of that 90s team, I don't really know how good they actually were, if that makes sense. There are probably those who were able to judge footy from that time who might laugh at some of the order I have that in, or players who I've excluded, especially the likes of Bell and Simpson.

I started following North in 1991, so can't really comment about the 1970s, but if I include the likes of Greig, Blight, Glendining, Cable and Shchimma by default, you'd have to add Carey, Schwass, Boomer and Arch and perhaps someone like Foote from the past I suppose.

Would be guessing for for anything beyond the past 35 years but since I have been following:

Carey

Daylight

Schwass
Mckernan
Schimma
Cunnington
Stevens
Harvey
Longmire
Archer
Tarrant

Done this in about 3 minutes so probably missing a few.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OK - here we go.

Carey
Greig
Blight
Cable
Les Foote
Dwyer
Teasedale
Schimma
Aylett
Dench

Others considered - Dugdale, Archer, Glendinning, Longmire, Harvey.

I didn't see Foote but my folks and friends of the era raved about his class. He is in the top 10 in respect of my parents.

1. Carey
2. Blight
3. Aylett
4. Greig
5. Dench
6. Cable
7. Foote
8. Schimmelbusch
9. Harvey
10. Glendinning/Carter/Teasdale/Larkin/Dempsey/Longmire/Dugdale/Murray/Davis/Dwyer.............

I can't really factor the pre-1940's blokes.

The "Invincibles" would have had guns, Syd Barker & Charlie Cameron were guns, as was Johnny Lewis, and Neville Huggins was purportedly the highest paid player in the country in 1936.

I'm not going to take you on with your NMFC knowledge but Jock Spencer not getting a mention I find interesting? The blokes career was downright impressive. Finished with a goal average of over 3 per game.

Still sits fourth I believe on our overall goal kicking tally.

Anyway a bit of fun and very hard to mention them all I suppose

I'm looking forward to the big night and have my tickets tucked away.

Top 30 or so will be very interesting.

I don't go back all the way to the 50's/60's but we did make a GF in 1950 so respect will be required for that era.

Carey will be number 1 and even Arch and Stevo will support that. It has to be based on on field performances - nothing else. He is a clear number 1.

After that it opens right up and I will be keen to see how it unfolds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back