Prediction North Melbourne’s 10 best players ever - IN ORDER

Remove this Banner Ad

EBC_hEpVUAAsSTl

All champions obviously. Can't comment on Foote or Aylett - didn't see them play. I saw the others. I'm not sure the criteria has worked if someone like Barry Cable misses out. I wonder if it should have been kept simpler- talent, reliability and, most importantly, impact on games. Which brings me to Blight. Kicked 77 goals in 1978 as a Brownlow winning midfielder. However, his greatest achievement was kicking 100 plus goals in 1982 as a 32 year old full forward who never tipped 6 feet. An absolute freak. Only Carey was better than him.

All champions obviously. Can't comment on Foote or Aylett - didn't see them play. I saw the others. I'm not sure the criteria has worked if someone like Barry Cable misses out. I wonder if it should have been kept simpler- talent, reliability and, most importantly, impact on games. Which brings me to Blight. Kicked 77 goals in 1978 as a Brownlow winning midfielder. However, his greatest achievement was kicking 100 plus goals in 1982 as a 32 year old full forward who never tipped 6 feet. An absolute freak. Only Carey was better than him.

He was my number 2.

Blight & Greig were the most naturally talented North players I have seen.

A couple of the aboriginal boys go close, but didn't do it for long enough.

He was my number 2.

Blight & Greig were the most naturally talented North players I have seen.

A couple of the aboriginal boys go close, but didn't do it for long enough.
Reckon most of us who saw them play would have gone Carey Blight Greig. Aylett was brilliant so don’t have a problem with him at 4. Stevens not for me as talented as the others. Bravest 10 for sure.

Dench definitely would have been in the middle top 10 calculations.

He should have been the AFL TOTC full back. He completely revolutionized the position, and was good enough to be a game influencing forward on Grand Final day.

From outside North perspective I agree with most Blight should have been no.2

Also I rate on ability & impact both Cable & J.Krakouer ahead of Stevens and even Harvey !!

Which brings me to my favourite hobby horse- one Selwyn "Sel" Murray.

He is rated number 1 as the most under appreciated footballer in our club's history. Bar none.

To give you a snapshot of this bloke, when he walked off Arden Street in July 1948 for the last time:

* He averaged 3.8 goals a game.
* Still the highest goal average in the Club's history (To put that In perspective, Buddy averages 3.14 goals on much superior surfaces)
* Only 3 men, Coventry, Pratt and Moriarty, had better averages at the time. That was after 50 plus years of competition and all of them played in much more successful teams.
* Much more celebrated champions of that day, Titus, Vallance and Lee, had inferior goal averages.
* It took him only 73 games to reach 300 career goals - equal third fastest in the history of the game.
* He kicked the most goals in 1941 - 88 - in a team that won only 6 games and finished 9th out of 12 teams.
* He led the Club's goal kicking 5 times.
* In 1938, as a 20 year old kid, finds himself in a war zone - aka Victoria Park. The filth win by 9 goals. He kicks 9 against a back line boasting legends in Whelan and Regan.

There should be a Royal Commission into how this bloke never made our team of the Century - I'm not kidding.

Yep, on those numbers, you'd reckon he'd give the Top 10 a shake. I doubt it somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is rated number 1 as the most under appreciated footballer in our club's history. Bar none.

To give you a snapshot of this bloke, when he walked off Arden Street in July 1948 for the last time:

* Still the highest goal average in the Club's history (To put that In perspective, Buddy averages 3.14 goals on much superior surfaces)
* Only 3 men, Coventry, Pratt and Moriarty, had better averages at the time. That was after 50 plus years of competition and all of them played in much more successful teams.
* Much more celebrated champions of that day, Titus, Vallance and Lee, had inferior goal averages.
* It took him only 73 games to reach 300 career goals - equal third fastest in the history of the game.
* He kicked the most goals in 1941 - 88 - in a team that won only 6 games and finished 9th out of 12 teams.
* In 1938, as a 20 year old kid, finds himself in a war zone - aka Victoria Park. The filth win by 9 goals. He kicks 9 against a back line boasting legends in Whelan and Regan.

There should be a Royal Commission into how this bloke never made our team of the Century - I'm not kidding.

Yep, on those numbers, you'd reckon he'd give the Top 10 a shake. I doubt it somehow.

Agree. Spencer unlucky as well. Unfortunately for Jock overshadowed by the great John Coleman in his day.

I can never understand why this bloke is not more celebrated. His record is extraordinary all things considered.

Cable would be just outside the top 10. His best was performed in WA, and by the time he came back to North his last few years weren't up to his best.

As for Archer not being there, the only one who can you can conceivably swap out is Stevens for Archer. But the list is based on pure skill, and Archer was a great player he isn't the best. But there's no doubt he is the Shinboner of the Century, that can't be disputed.

I have no issue with our top 10, one can argue the order to a degree but they are the best skilled players we've ever had.

Don't argue about the top 3 though, its perfect. Half-forward in the best there ever was ever, the silkiest wingman there ever was and the most revolutionary skilled backman there ever was.

There are probably five givens.

Boomer - games record holder
Archer - Greatest Shinboner of all time
Grieg - record speaks for itself
Carey - no need to comment.
Aylett - the father of the AFL

The next dozen is a toss of the coin to make the top ten.
4out of 5 bad.

interesting

Whether they got the order correct or left players out is debatable, but who cares, the ten players chosen are legends of our club and deserve the recognition they have received. They have been wonderful servants of the NMFC and have worn our colours with pride.

Congratulations to all 150 players who made our greatest list, especially to those who made our top 10 of all time. And thank you to the near 1850 other players who have worn our jersey since 1869 for playing a part, however small, in making NMFC the best football club in the world.

It's a shame they didn't make the picture of our 10 greatest into wallpaper sized (1920x1080), it would be a great one have as a background on my PC.

I watched the video highlights of our three greatest players, and there was one little piece of play that amazed me more than any other. Keith Greig took a mark against Ablett and then played on, but instead of bouncing like you see today, he touch the ball on the ground, but continued to run away from Ablett. It's only a small thing, but it shows amazing balance and skill to be able to accelerate and touch the ball on the ground while an opponent is on your tail. Keith Grieg's nickname should have been silk.

Last edited:
Would have had Blight and Cable in the top 5 myself. But you can understand the top 3, in that they each are arguably the best ever in their position. Dench reinvented how to play full back, Greig was the best in a great era for wingers - Wood, Flower, Schimma, Hawkins, Dipper - and Duck was Duck.

Of course you can make some of the same case for Blighty and Cabes. Blight was the prototype utility/ff that GA Snr would later perfect (though maybe Whitten was the true original in that role, or even Foote), and of course Cable along with Farmer and Sheedy essentially invented handball as an attacking weapon. Can only imagine Cable coming over so late in his career and missing his prime years held him back.

Just a shame they couldn't fit another 10 players into the top 10. Would love to know where they had the likes of Dugdale, Dwyer, Teasdale, Spencer, Murray, Barker, Jim Krakouer, Larkin, McKernan, ...

Would have had Blight and Cable in the top 5 myself. But you can understand the top 3, in that they each are arguably the best ever in their position. Dench reinvented how to play full back, Greig was the best in a great era for wingers - Wood, Flower, Schimma, Hawkins, Dipper - and Duck was Duck.

Of course you can make some of the same case for Blighty and Cabes. Blight was the prototype utility/ff that GA Snr would later perfect (though maybe Whitten was the true original in that role, or even Foote), and of course Cable along with Farmer and Sheedy essentially invented handball as an attacking weapon. Can only imagine Cable coming over so late in his career and missing his prime years held him back.

Just a shame they couldn't fit another 10 players into the top 10. Would love to know where they had the likes of Dugdale, Dwyer, Teasdale, Spencer, Murray, Barker, Jim Krakouer, Larkin, McKernan, ...
when a 17 yr old allan edwards came along to play wing for richmond in 1975 ,hes battles with grieg alone were worth the admittance money,'75-'78
thats another superstar grieg had to contend with...theres a handful of titanic clashes btwn richmond & north 1975-1977 where the margin was less than 10 points, memorable games but more memorable for me for edwards v greig...the teenage superstar to be against the dual brownlow medallist legend...youve got to remember by the end of 1975 Greig was bona fide legend already..in fact .he was a legend before leigh matthews was,thats how i remember it

People view old players through rose coloured glassed, I think. In 20 years, those saying Boomer doesn't belong in the top 10 will feel quite silly. Definitely one of the best players to ever pull on a North guernsey.

No Cable is a crime, given Stevens is in there. Cable would be considered our greatest ever by some, so pretty surprising to see him not even make the top 10!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back