Prediction North Melbourne’s 10 best players ever - IN ORDER

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Not suggesting they’re top 10 of all time but I wonder how others rate McKernan ( would have won the rising star and brownlow if not for the umps) and he was an out and out match winner in a team that had Carey. The other one is Pickett ( won the rising star award) and was a consistently brilliant player at Nth. Obviously went to Port and GoDees which hurts. Also not enough love for my dufflecoat hero No.3 Jim Krakouer

Pre- shoulder injury? He would have been kicking down the door of my top 10.

He was never really the same after this:

davefromjerra

All Australian
Mar 3, 2005
Magnetic Island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I loved Barry Cable, but considering he only played one season before he was 30 at North I don’t think he can be included. I consider him in the same vein as Gary Dempsey and Doug Wade, great players at North but played their best footy elsewhere.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I loved Barry Cable, but considering he only played one season before he was 30 at North I don’t think he can be included. I consider him in the same vein as Gary Dempsey and Doug Wade, great players at North but played their best footy elsewhere.

Cable still played 115 games for North.

No doubt if he played the bulk of his career in Victoria he could very well have replaced all bar Carey in the top 10. A superstar in every sense.

Gave Leigh Matthews the greatest hiding he ever copped in his outstanding 332 game career. Nuff' said.

Yeah Corey was never the same after that. Played some tremendous footy (1999 GF a perfect example) but also some absolute shockers. Had a famous 0 disposal game against Richmond I think it was? In terms of pure talent he'd be top 10 for sure.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Yeah Corey was never the same after that. Played some tremendous footy (1999 GF a perfect example) but also some absolute shockers. Had a famous 0 disposal game against Richmond I think it was? In terms of pure talent he'd be top 10 for sure.
In the mercurial list.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not suggesting they’re top 10 of all time but I wonder how others rate McKernan ( would have won the rising star and brownlow if not for the umps) and he was an out and out match winner in a team that had Carey. The other one is Pickett ( won the rising star award) and was a consistently brilliant player at Nth. Obviously went to Port and GoDees which hurts. Also not enough love for my dufflecoat hero No.3 Jim Krakouer

I’ve always said I’ve never seen a ruck/forward have a better season than what Corey did in 96.

Can you imagine ranking North Melbourne's top ten players, in order? Well, that's the task the club's Heritage Committee has been asked to undertake as part of North's 150th anniversary.

While the top ten will no doubt spark some healthy debate, it's much bigger than that. Initially, the club will be revealing its best 150 players in its history in chronological order, with the top 10 revealed in number order from 10 to 1 at the 150th Anniversary Dinner on August 3.

As you can imagine this is a massive challenge and some may say it's an, “impossible task" considering the history of our great club since its inception in 1869.

Since then, we had some wonderful success in our VFA years (1869-1924) and were represented by some magnificent players and the trend continued when we joined the VFL in 1925.

I must point out, the club advised the Committee the criteria for selection strictly pertained to on-field exploits only, meaning this wasn't about the person, just the player. Character, life achievements or anything regarded as off-field, good or bad, had no bearing whatsoever. Our job was simply to find the best players the club has ever seen and/or produced.

To be considered for selection, those that represented North during the VFA years would have no “games played” limit, as records for some players were not able to be obtained. For the VFL/AFL, strict eligibility criteria was set with players having to have played 50 senior games up until the end of 2018.

There were several components in the selection process, and included objectivity based on a player's career and subjectivity. A points system was applied to VFL/AFL players but was not applicable to the VFA, again due to a lack of records Instead, selection for VFA players relied heavily on historical data from football books, newspaper reports and other trusted accounts.

The points system was multi-faceted and allowed the Heritage Committee an objective guide. Players were awarded points for such things as games played, Syd Barker medal placings, finals, premierships, state and all-Australian representation and other special on-field honours and achievements.

The painstaking process also involved archival information, club Annual Reports, AFL Guides, newspaper reports and other official sources.

When all the information was collected and the "objective” process completed, the Heritage Committee used “subjective” powers to refine the list. A critical element was the input of more than 25 people who have had an intrinsic connection to the club. These people included North Melbourne Hall of Fame members, Life Members, Past Players and Coaches, as well as former and current administrators. They were an invaluable resource and assured the process involved true “North people” covering more than seven decades of history.

Everyone will have an opinion on who the greatest players to wear the royal blue and white stripes were and no doubt, each supporter will have a different combination.

I hope you can join us to celebrate every person who has played part in our rich history. Everyone is welcome, whether you're a past or current player, coach, administrator, volunteer, or most importantly, a supporter and member.

I hope to see you all at this once in a lifetime event.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This list would be a fair place to start. Hard to claim a player as one of our ten best if they haven't won a Syd.
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 6.37.27 pm.png

Blight and Greig probably the best of the one time winners. Schimma perhaps the best player not to win one.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This list would be a fair place to start. Hard to claim a player as one of our ten best if they haven't won a Syd.
View attachment 694630

Blight and Greig probably the best of the one time winners. Schimma perhaps the best player not to win one.
Also, you’d expect at least 8 would come from our Team of the Century side I reckon

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
View attachment 694630

Nah. Rawlings and Swallow put paid to that argument.

Cable isn't there, on the other side of things.

What's "best?" For me, skills and ability to have an impact on a game. Not courage, not longevity, not consistency.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
View attachment 694630

A small typo in there - Barry Davis retired after the 75 flag so his 2 b&f's were 73 and 75. 79 won by Gary Dempsey.

CunnyTarryn

Senior List
Apr 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1 Carey
2 Blight
3 Cable
4 Greig
5 Harvey
6 Glendining
7 Aylett
8 Dench
9 Foote
10 Teasdale

If only
1 Breidis
2 Kekovich
3 Baker
4 McKernan
5 McAdam
6 Abraham
7 Pickett
8 Wells
9 J Krakoeur
10 P Krakoeur

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
North Melbourne "blue collar" top 10

Anthony Stevens
Adam Simpson
Brady Rawlings
Pat Kelly
Ben Cunnington
Albert Mantello
Billy Nettlefold
Ted Jarrard
John Law
Mick Martyn

HM's: Gary Cowton, Scott Thompson, Dean Laidley, Anthony Rock, Roy Ramsay, Frank Gumbleton, Denis Pagan, Jock McCorkell

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1 Carey
2 Blight
3 Cable
4 Greig
5 Harvey
6 Glendining
7 Aylett
8 Dench
9 Foote
10 Teasdale

If only
1 Breidis
2 Kekovich
3 Baker
4 McKernan
5 McAdam
6 Abraham
7 Pickett
8 Wells
9 J Krakoeur
10 P Krakoeur

if only

Matthew Larkin played in the Barassi or Pagan era's
Peter Jonas didn't do his knee so many times
John Longmire didn't play against the Doggies in the last round of 93
Majak Daw wasn't moved to the backline 8 years ago ;)

Back