Prediction North Melbourne’s 10 best players ever - IN ORDER

Remove this Banner Ad

Always liked the Fridge.

Spud Firrito doesn't deserve to be on any top 10 list i guess, but i always liked how he went about his footy. Tough as.

Other than stupid brain fades he was a courageous player sometimes in very tough roles (playing on KPF) and a tad underrated imo.
Now I remember you, you were in front of me at Etihad, when we play Port (rd 6 2011). You and your mates called Spud a list clogger!!

Now I remember you, you were in front of me at Etihad, when we play Port (rd 6 2011). You and your mates called Spud a list clogger!!

Firrito one of my favorite players in a North Guernsey so definitely not me.

The most courageous top 10

1. L. Colbert
2. A. Stevens
3. G. Archer
4. J. Law
5. J. Ziebell
6. W.Schimmelbusch
7. A. Swallow
8. J. Krakeour
9. M. Firrito
10.B. Cunnington

HM's: R. Smith, M. Larkin, B.Nettlefold, S. Kekovich, M. Martyn, B. Rawlings, S. Hickey, L. Thomas, K.Turner, R. Tarrant, J. McCartney, & S. Thompson

David Teague was an eyes only on the ball player.
Leigh Adams also.

I only skimmed parts of the thread, but haven't seen many Daniel Wells mentions? One of the best I've seen as far as ceiling goes in my (limited) years watching regularly (I was born in 93).

I only know first hand players of the late 80’s onward. Given everyone is selecting roughly from the same group of 20 or so champions, i have put together a list of good (not greatest) players that have failed to make any of the previous lists of whatever type so far, but i have fond memories of all of them:

John Blakey
Craig Sholl
Martin Pike
John Longmire
David King
Peter Bell
Anthony Rock
Darren Crocker
Shannon Grant
Brett Allison

I only skimmed parts of the thread, but haven't seen many Daniel Wells mentions? One of the best I've seen as far as ceiling goes in my (limited) years watching regularly (I was born in 93).

One of the biggest underperformers of all time.

When the votes are finally tallied, I can’t wait to see who comes second to Liam Anthony.

The problem with compiling these lists is that I didn't see anyone prior to about 1996, and even then I wasn't actually able to form reasonable judgements on footy until I was about 14 or 15, so about 2005-ish. It makes it hard then to judge players from before that time against players I've actually seen.

Personally, I just go with players in my lifetime, so from about 1991 because at least then I have some sort of frame of reference. On that basis:

1. Carey
2. Harvey
3. Archer
4. Stevens
5. McKernan
6. Grant
7. Schwass
8. Higgins
9. Swallow
10. Cunnington

Even then I'm not particularly happy with that list because, while I idolised most of that 90s team, I don't really know how good they actually were, if that makes sense. There are probably those who were able to judge footy from that time who might laugh at some of the order I have that in, or players who I've excluded, especially the likes of Bell and Simpson.
Did you see Adam Simpson play?

These threads invariably tell more about a posters age than the calibre of the players. Thats not said as a critisism either.

For example from my perspective at least cable, jim krakour and briedis would displace 3 of your selections. And thats not even going into the more obvious selections others have noted.
The evolution of mankind is based upon the accumulation of knowledge, not just one’s personal experience.

No, the winning of (CMIIW) 6 robert rose Most Courageous, which voted by your peers, and holds the record for such an award constitutes being the most courageous the comp has seen
In the past 20 years, since its inception. FFS the tales of injuries the old timers played with are legendary. But that would require one to read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve seen some pretty average teams then. I’d do some reading and watch some genuine champions on YouTube.

I can really only comment on those I have seen play so apologies to players pre 70's. On pure talent I would argue Adrian McAdam could be top 3 but had a shortened career due to having his jaw smashed in.

1. Carey
2. Grieg
3. Jim Krakouer
4. Blight
5. Archer
6. Cunnington
7. McKernan
8. Dench
9. Glendinning
10. Boomer

I can really only comment on those I have seen play so apologies to players pre 70's. On pure talent I would argue Adrian McAdam could be top 3 but had a shortened career due to having his jaw smashed in.

1. Carey
2. Grieg
3. Jim Krakouer
4. Blight
5. Archer
6. Cunnington
7. McKernan
8. Dench
9. Glendinning
10. Boomer
No room for Cable or Schimma?

One of the biggest underperformers of all time.
I dunno. Certainly could have elevated himself to more than he did achieve, but 243 games, 2 B&Fs and some sublime footy is not nothing. I know he had the reputation of taking his time coming back from injuries and that was no doubt true as well. OTOH the pulmonary embolus and the Lisfranc were genuine freak injuries.

There was a time when he and Boomer were the only reason you'd bother going. I wonder where we'd rate him if he'd been in the '70s or '90s teams.

Subjectivity reigns in this stuff - granted.

It's not to denigrate Leigh Colbert by dropping him down a peg or two, but three players stand head and shoulders above all other North players in the last 40 years in the courage stakes IMO and they are (not in any order)

G Archer
W Schimmelbusch
J Krakouer.

Archer took fearlessness to an unbelievable level, Schimma would never say die - ever - and watching Jimmy Krakouer taking teams on in the 80's with his tenacity and courage brought a tear to your eyes. The three greatest shinboners in my time.

Wasn't Colbert actually nearly killed as a result of an on field collision with Kingy that ruptured something internally?

Yep. And in his return game, the very first play he was involved in was to run back with the flight of the ball into a pack to effect a spoil.

This is why Colbert gets it. He was warned before that game that an impact from going back with the flight may kill him.

He went to another airline since, however has recently handed in the resignation. has a new venture coming up.

I used to always fly Tiger on the chance he was piloting. When I flew down for Boomers record breaking game he was the pilot. :thumbsu:

The highest in relation to iconic "moments", but not top 10 over a career.

Azza Edwards would also fit that category.

10 most iconic moments would be a great list.

Maybe non premiership...

Wells goty. Phil's goty.
Baker, Maj, Garner, Edwards, Winnie marks.
Point of the century
A couple of Boomers and Maj's goals.
A few Jimmy punches. Or a 70 metre torp thru the middle...:D

Glendinning juggling the ball on the roun then onto his boot for a 50m+ goal on the run.
Arch and Carey facing off.
Phil Krakouer with a long handball into space as his brother runs onto the ball then into goal. Must have seen that happen at least 10 times.

That's closer to 20 off the top of my head, not even including (most) players who won flags or plays where I can't remember everyone involved.

That didn't come cross the way I meant it too.

For example things like Carey from outside 50 off one step. Or wheeling onto either foot and setting up a teammate while opening up play.

Byron bumping Insert name here

They'd have to be in there but there are so many specific examples of them. They are iconic images of what those players did tho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back