Prediction North Melbourne’s 10 best players ever - IN ORDER

Remove this Banner Ad

when a 17 yr old allan edwards came along to play wing for richmond in 1975 ,hes battles with grieg alone were worth the admittance money,'75-'78
thats another superstar grieg had to contend with...theres a handful of titanic clashes btwn richmond & north 1975-1977 where the margin was less than 10 points, memorable games but more memorable for me for edwards v greig...the teenage superstar to be against the dual brownlow medallist legend...youve got to remember by the end of 1975 Greig was bona fide legend already..in fact .he was a legend before leigh matthews was,thats how i remember it
Butch Edwards? I don't remember him as a winger, but as a forward later on. I was in primary school through the '70s.

The North-Richmond battles through that era probably do get a bit forgotten thanks to the Hawthorn and Collingwood rivalries. Bartlett/Bourke/Hart/Wood/Sheedy/Clay/etc was a pretty stacked side.

Butch Edwards? I don't remember him as a winger, but as a forward later on. I was in primary school through the '70s.

The North-Richmond battles through that era probably do get a bit forgotten thanks to the Hawthorn and Collingwood rivalries. Bartlett/Bourke/Hart/Wood/Sheedy/Clay/etc was a pretty stacked side.

I'm pretty sure Butch was a CHF. Good player, but injured lots. Good bloke.

Became my cricket bunny when he gave away footy.

Whether they got the order correct or left players out is debatable, but who cares, the ten players chosen are legends of our club and deserve the recognition they have received. They have been wonderful servants of the NMFC and have worn our colours with pride.

Congratulations to all 150 players who made our greatest list, especially to those who made our top 10 of all time. And thank you to the near 1850 other players who have worn our jersey since 1869 for playing a part, however small, in making NMFC the best football club in the world.

It's a shame they didn't make the picture of our 10 greatest into wallpaper sized (1920x1080), it would be a great one have as a background on my PC.

I watched the video highlights of our three greatest players, and there was one little piece of play that amazed me more than any other. Keith Greig took a mark against Ablett and then played on, but instead of bouncing like you see today, he touch the ball on the ground, but continued to run away from Ablett. It's only a small thing, but it shows amazing balance and skill to be able to accelerate and touch the ball on the ground while an opponent is on your tail. Keith Grieg's nickname should have been silk.
Greig superb balance and many supporters enjoyed his battles against other premium wingmen.

Read!!!! When he started in 1975 at 17. No one plays CHF at 17 against blokes like Ronnie Andrews.

Yeah, Butch had about the same dimensions as Ross Glendinning once he filled out.

Was certainly no fleet footed wingman.

Yeah, Butch had about the same dimensions as Ross Glendinning once he filled out.

Was certainly no fleet footed wingman.
as Mick F has correctly stated,no 17 or 18yr old plays CHF..Alan started as a rangey smooth moving wingman, ocassionally shifted to a flank when required then sadly did his knee at training before rd 7. 1978 after kicking 5 against essendon in rd 6. at the ripe old age of 20,he WAS the next big thing..
he filled out as correctly stated to glendinning proportions whilst recovering and from there on in 1979 upon his return played as a permanent forward
...much like templeton ...when he came back from his knee in '82 10kg heavier ...alan never recaptured his former brilliance...it was a big blow to the tiges at the time

Last edited:
From players I saw, my top 5

Carey - Nothing more needs to be added

Greig - Probably the most graceful I have witnessed up close, smooth, technically beautiful either in the air or by foot

Blight - Pound for pound one of the most gifted I saw (my favourite North player)

Dench - Before his time. Athletic, quick and I rated him the best "fullback" I have seen. Would be right at home in the modern game

Cable - A real goal kicking midfielder, his vision and decision making was even better than his delivery, which was elite in itself

Remove this Banner Ad

Back