Club Focus North Melbourne 2020 - Corr, Bosenavulagi, Stephenson, Young, Phillips, Powell, Lazaro, Spicer, Ford

AFL Club Focus

Do they need a priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Maybe next year

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne club thread

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

This version is purely based on footywire data. It cannot be manually updated.

Are you high? It's more likely Ben Mckay wants to come to Carlton

Yeah, nah.

Ben is probably North's most improved player this year, with Tarrant near retirement, he would be one of the very few on Rawlings untouchable list.

Yeah, nah.

Ben is probably North's most improved player this year, with Tarrant near retirement, he would be one of the very few on Rawlings untouchable list.
I'm not saying Carlton are going for Ben or vice versa. Do I really have to explain my point?

I'm saying that there is zero chance one of the brightest young key forward prospect would decide to join North. It would be more likely - on the balance of probabilities- Ben would ask to be traded to Carlton.

It's unreal how long we've put up with playing guys like Macmillan, Williams, Atley, Pittard and McDonald (though he turned a massive corner this year) together. Easily the worst assortment of medium defenders in the competition and Brad Scott had their type as mainstays for a decade.

Unbelievable, I'm no tactical genius by that always stuck out like dogsballs

Sort that out get some pressure fwds and away you go

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon North Melbourne are now likely to get Logan McDonald with pick 2.

All depends on the Crows with that one but I don't see McDonald slipping further.

I'm not saying Carlton are going for Ben or vice versa. Do I really have to explain my point?

I'm saying that there is zero chance one of the brightest young key forward prospect would decide to join North. It would be more likely - on the balance of probabilities- Ben would ask to be traded to Carlton.

Er, why? Hardly like Carlton are setting the world on fire; have one the oldest list in the AFL and continue to completely underachieve. NM have stacks of cash and you could easily reason that they will be successful as soon if not earlier than Carlton will. So yeah, again, why is what you say the case? Not sure I follow at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Er, why? Hardly like Carlton are setting the world on fire; have one the oldest list in the AFL and continue to completely underachieve. NM have stacks of cash and you could easily reason that they will be successful as soon if not earlier than Carlton will. So yeah, again, why is what you say the case? Not sure I follow at all.

I'm erring on the side of shenanigans (perhaps twin brother shenanigans in this instance if Ben has been given some hub freedom) on the McKay rumour but I do always find the "why would x go there, they're crap" argument humorous as clubs target players for only one reason - to make them better. I remember Carlton were 2nd last when they signed Chris Judd and the next season they played finals. There's no Judds up for grabs at the moment sure but clubs improve bringing better talent in, it's basic math.

Plus money always helps of course.

I thought it was a fair trade.

I'm pretty sure Ben and Harry have explicitly said they want to play for separate clubs.

Seems like they prefer the idea of competing head to head through their careers than teaming up.

So any Harry to North or Ben to Carlton suggestions are pretty much pointless.

Hope most North fans here are rational enough to expect they won't be getting out of the bottom 4 next season, let alone bottom 2.

Dare say they will be the wooden spoon favourites when the 2021 season markets open, it is what it is, they have a couple of really hard seasons ahead.

As the cliche goes, things will get worse before it gets better for North (on field at least)

I think they need to re-sign Rhyce Shaw as coach before 2021 starts (he is OOC at the end of the year)

He needs a couple more years to see this rebuild through, North Melbourne (to their great credit) have never actually bottomed out before, I hope the supporters are self-aware and patient enough to give Shaw the time he needs.

They have almost scortched the earth and starting again.
Bottoming out isnt a thing. This year is the best year of any to finish 17th and get a top 2 pick.
Were not top 8 but we arent as bad as the ladder position dictates. In fact the dead weight we shed has instantly improved our list.

Bottoming out isnt a thing. This year is the best year of any to finish 17th and get a top 2 pick.
Were not top 8 but we arent as bad as the ladder position dictates. In fact the dead weight we shed has instantly improved our list.
It's literally the worst year since GWS entered the league to bottom out.

The draft is more of a crapshoot this year (less exposed form) so let's take a bunch of picks and we could get a gem in the 2nd or 3rd round

Were any of these guys a surprise when the delstings were announced?

I think it was pretty much expected. This is our first season with Rawlings in charge so there was some speculation on how savagely he'd cut the list in relation to guys like Majak or Crocker's kid but he did both so he isn't mucking about. On a personal level I was more surprised by MacMillan who was a Scott favourite.

Probably the biggest takeaway is out of the 11 he cut two key defenders and six blokes who either play or have been trained as small-mid defenders in MacMillan, Pittard, Williams, Crocker, Murphy (wing/HB) and Ahern (who we've tried off HB recently) which suggests to me Rawlings has identified that as a particular area of need and as we can see with Corr and links to some known pacy half backs he's started that ball rolling.

Surprised as in I didn’t think we had the guts to cull the ones we did. Really happy with it however. Clubs hold onto to players far too long IMO.
Preaching to the choir here. As you would rightly call us out on, Essendon are one of the masters of doing this and not making hard list calls.

Well done to North

I think it was pretty much expected. This is our first season with Rawlings in charge so there was some speculation on how savagely he'd cut the list in relation to guys like Majak or Crocker's kid but he did both so he isn't mucking about. On a personal level I was more surprised by MacMillan who was a Scott favourite.

Probably the biggest takeaway is out of the 11 he cut two key defenders and six blokes who either play or have been trained as small-mid defenders in MacMillan, Pittard, Williams, Crocker, Murphy (wing/HB) and Ahern (who we've tried off HB recently) which suggests to me Rawlings has identified that as a particular area of need and as we can see with Corr and links to some known pacy half backs he's started that ball rolling.

As an Essendon supporter, moving on Dodoro, we can only dream of the next man in charge will do something similar to to what Rawlings has done.

Back