Play Nice North Melbourne - 2018 and beyond

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I was a North supporter before the Crows were created so they are my second team.

North loaded up with mature players for a flag tilt that fell short. I'm now worried that they have fallen so far and to me appear in free fall with no likely move up the ladder in the foreseeable future.

Had big offers knocked back by Heeney, Martin & Kelly, did nothing in the trade period, should get a good player at pick 4, pick 23 is starting to get into the wobbly zone and just standard picks next year with more retirements likely. Got a high academy prospect next year in Thomas plus a few F/S although unlikely the highly rated KPF Blakey would nominate North in front of staying home at the Swans.

North do not look an attractive place for FA and that's unlikely to change with bottom of the ladder looking likely in the next few years.

I think North rather than the hapless Gold Coast may be the AFL's biggest worry going forward.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
1.5 bad years. Bit of the St Kilda/Freo under Lyon about them but worth it for a shot at a flag I guess. They are also not the North off-field from 2007. I remember seeing a video in 2007 of the North team walking in the mud in the rain from their changerooms to their gym - it's not like that anymore.

Long way to being a basketcase. Immediate future does not look bright and Scott should have been let go, but I'd hold off before calling them a basketcase just yet. Melbourne, Essendon, Brisbane, Gold Coast and ourselves have fulfilled the role for 5-10 years, that's the benchmark.

There was a rumour reported on one of the news articles that Scott wanted to coach Gold Coast but kept interested and signed his contract with North in Hope of landing players like Martin and Kelly but when they weren't coming he became half interested again and upset he had to rebuild North from scratch.

Hopefully they are all sorted and there are no issues.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
They made finals 4 of the 5 years previous to this one. They'll spend a few years at the bottom and then climb back up the ladder.

Their list is in pretty ordinary shape but they actually compete most weeks. This isn't the 2012/13 Dees we're talking about.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have a soft spot for North.

They were my second team too before B. Scott got there.

He lets off a bad smell when he speaks....he has the insight of an unhinged fan.

and recently I have heard he is not so well liked by some players (or was that his brother).

Hard to figure them keeping Waite

hard to figure Goldsteins demise

hard to figure not playing Pruest this year,

hard to figure not blooding Daw with games,

hard to figure screwing Gibson....

hard to figure letting B.Brown become an out of contract possibility

Perhaps they over-performed during the last 5 years, and so have a hard landing because of their success, but North supporters don't like "overperforming" accusations. But gee they finish mid table so often in my life-time... which is addmirable.

I hope B.Brown career isn't wasted waiting.....

I look forward to NM after Scott.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
They were an expansion team, located in a region where Essendon were not only located but extremely popular. Never have they had a large amount of support. This is not a new thing but it needs to change for the Kangaroos to continue well into the future. The only way to get themselves a strong supporter base is to give them a market to represent. Tassie would absolutely get around that club.

Shut up shop, make a Tasmanian team.
It's the perfect time, they're not going to do well over the next few years, they have no fans, their training base has not been upgraded as it's clear they're on their way out.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
They were an expansion team, located in a region where Essendon were not only located but extremely popular. Never have they had a large amount of support. This is not a new thing but it needs to change for the Kangaroos to continue well into the future. The only way to get themselves a strong supporter base is to give them a market to represent. Tassie would absolutely get around that club.

Correct. I read an article some years ago that theorised that their problem was that they came into the competition when everyone already had a VFL team they followed so they've always struggled for supporter numbers, plus they had a very small catchment area in comparison to others. The didn't seem to rise during their halcyon days of the 70s and 90s.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Never understood this claims.
According to most North have never had elite players yet still consistently made finals. Now we have one bad season, where we have less than 25 players to pick in the final 8 rounds due to injuries and we're a basket case? I'm sorry but how long have Melbourne, carlton and brisbane been basket cases for then?

FYI Carlton went for Kelly and so did saints as well as martin AND fyfe. These two clubs were 'ahead' of North to land them according to the media, so why does North get the criticism?

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tasmania, possibly merge. Sorry but there are too many Victorian teams and North would be first in line to be merged / relocated. Would actually probably benefit them at the end of the day.
North have had more members than saints melbournr and bulldogs in the last 5 years, another myth made up by the afl media.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
FYI Carlton went for Kelly and so did saints as well as martin AND fyfe. These two clubs were 'ahead' of North to land them according to the media, so why does North get the criticism?
Because North were offering 10 million dollar contracts and the others weren't.

Mcarcherey

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Neither Melbourne, Bulldogs or St Kilda are associated with Tasmania.
for one bulldogs have expanded to ballarat, identical to what we did years earlier but were knocked back by the AFL due to their spitefulness for not relocating.

You're point is still moot. In a state that's saturated with teams north have done what any smart business would and expanded to a new market. now they've expanded their market share there against a team that has recently won 3 flags in a row .

now we'll have a womens team in 2019, a stand alone VFL team in next year and a $7 billion redevelopment resulting in even more members and more money while melbourne, saints and bulldogs will to struggle to survive.

Because North were offering 10 million dollar contracts and the others weren't.

fairly certain saints were offering more per season, but speculate all you want, doesn't detract from the fact they were rejected too.

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Lmao what a joke of a thread. They will clear out some old blokes again next year hit a couple of drafts and start the process again.
Brad Scott might not be a premiership coach but he's not horrible
North and Brisbane were the 2 best bottom teams I've seen for a long time

Back