Club Focus North Melbourne 2020 - Corr, Bosenavulagi, Stephenson, Young, Phillips, Powell, Lazaro, Spicer, Ford

AFL Club Focus

Do they need a priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Maybe next year

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne club thread

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

This version is purely based on footywire data. It cannot be manually updated.

Yeah, we've certainly jagged one with Comben at #31. Some players come through every 3-4 drafts that look special right off the bat in pre-season and just a level above what they should at this age, whether they are top 3 picks or rookie picks. I'd have no problem Comben playing Rnd 1 if Larkey or Brown got injured in the next 8 weeks from what I've seen so far.

I concede I didn't see a whole heap of him at Gippsland last year, however his profiling doesn't stack up with what I've seen so far in 3-4 match sim training sessions and the intra club today against genuine developed AFL key defenders like Tarrant, Daw, Walker, Durdin and McKay.

He was played as a ruckman for Gippsland for the most part. We identified him from the start as a key forward, which seems like some inspired recruiting.

eDPS might be able to shed some light on it.

I'd love to see his full combine test data, as I can't imagine he tested as well as what he has looked so far in an AFL environment. As it would of been plastered in all of his pre-draft profiling. Potentially carrying an injury at the combine, who knows?

The only bloke that looks near him athletically on our list is Majak and Majak would be in the top 1% of AFL listed players athletically.

Launches at the ball well above the likes of other 200cm types in Walker, Durdin, McKay and Tarrant. Super quick and agile for his size, with very strong hands in the marking contest.

Kicked 2.1 in about 40 mins today, but he's taken 10+ genuine contested marks as a first year on seasoned defenders in different match sim's I've seen live so far. He jumped on Tarrant's head in that twitter post on the previous page last week. Remembering there was a stat regarding Robbie Tarrant not being outmarked for 14 consecutive AFL rounds this year, I've seen Comben do it at least 3-4 times from a total of around 2 hours of live viewing.

Seriously impressed so far, will play senior football in 2020, which is good going for that type of pick and his frame/build.

Last edited:
Yeah, we've certainly jagged one with Comben at #31. Some players come through every 3-4 drafts that look special right off the bat in pre-season and just a level above what they should at this age, whether they are top 3 picks or rookie picks. I'd have no problem Comben playing Rnd 1 if Larkey or Brown got injured in the next 8 weeks from what I've seen so far.

I concede I didn't see a whole heap of him at Gippsland last year, however his profiling doesn't stack up with what I've seen so far in 3-4 match sim training sessions and the intra club today against genuine developed AFL key defenders like Tarrant, Daw, Walker, Durdin and McKay.

He was played as a ruckman for Gippsland for the most part. We identified him from the start as a key forward, which seems like some inspired recruiting.

eDPS might be able to shed some light on it.

I'd love to see his combine test data, as I can't imagine he tested as well as what he has looked so far in an AFL environment. As it would of been plastered in all of his pre-draft profiling. Potentially carrying an injury at the combine, who knows?

The only bloke that looks near him athletically on our list is Majak and Majak would be in the top 1% of AFL listed players athletically.

Launches at the ball well above the likes of other 200cm types in Walker, Durdin, McKay and Tarrant. Super quick and agile for his size, with very strong hands in the marking contest.

Kicked 2.1 in about 40 mins today, but he's taken 10+ genuine contested marks as a first year on seasoned defenders in different match sim's I've seen live so far. He jumped on Tarrant's head in that twitter post on the previous page last week. Remembering there was a stat regarding Robbie Tarrant not being outmarked for 14 consecutive AFL rounds this year, I've seen Comben do it at least 3-4 times from a total of around 2 hours of live viewing.

Seriously impressed so far, will play senior football in 2020, which is good going for that type of pick and his frame/build.
Endurance and, thereby, consistency are the issues identified in the combine results.

Will be a slow burn still, but a heap to like based on the few assessments I have read about him at the club.

Endurance and, thereby, consistency are the issues identified in the combine results.

Will be a slow burn still, but a heap to like based on the few assessments I have read about him at the club.
Endurance also effected by a history of injuries, he hasn’t had a full season injury free for the last 3 years.

Was always a risky pick to take in say the top 25 because of this, to me I would hope he becomes a better version of Shaun McKernan with a far better ability to pinch hit in the ruck and hopefully develops some good consistency with a clean run at it.

Endurance also effected by a history of injuries, he hasn’t had a full season injury free for the last 3 years.

Was always a risky pick to take in say the top 25 because of this, to me I would hope he becomes a better version of Shaun McKernan with a far better ability to pinch hit in the ruck and hopefully develops some good consistency with a clean run at it.

Heard from the intraclub he looks like a better version of Corey McKernan so put that in your pipe and then throw away the pipe because smoking kills.

As if North only offer 3 years for Ben Brown when they have no issues splashing cash for players like Gaff,Martin etc rofl

If I were Essendon I would offer 5 years
Go ahead he’s turning 28 this year
Has always had injury interrupted preseasons including this one where he has barely trained at all

As if North only offer 3 years for Ben Brown when they have no issues splashing cash for players like Gaff,Martin etc rofl

If I were Essendon I would offer 5 years what an insult to Brown lols

Mate, its a negotiation, no chance Brown doesn't sign.

It is early March lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a Roos-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, North Melbourne are:
- 6th tallest, averaging 188.7cm
- 5th heaviest, averaging 86.7kg
- 6th oldest with an average age of 24.4 years
- 9th most experienced, averaging 70.3 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 9)
2nd round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 27)
3rd round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 45)
4th round pick (tied to Brisbane Lions - currently pick 69)
5th round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 81)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Do teams normally have that many players come out of contract at the end of a season?

I don't generally follow along with other teams contract situations. Seems like a lot though. Maybe it's just having them all listed out making it look like a fair few.

Do teams normally have that many players come out of contract at the end of a season?

I don't generally follow along with other teams contract situations. Seems like a lot though. Maybe it's just having them all listed out making it look like a fair few.
I think it's normal for almost all but a handful of players to be out of contract in the next two seasons

We're not gonna lose anybody on that list we want to keep.

We're not gonna lose anybody on that list we want to keep.

Please tell me you don't want Cam Zurhaar. I love the kid. Absolute jet. If he played for Collingwood (sic) or Richmond, he would be an household name by now.

I think it's normal for almost all but a handful of players to be out of contract in the next two seasons
Yeah just had a look through footywire, seems about average. The teams with the most out of contract at the end of 2020 are the blues and hawks with 25 and the teams with the fewest are the tigers and crows on 13 out of contract at the end of the season. I'd just never seen them listed out in order like above. It looks like a lot, but is well within the realms of reasonability.

For some reason I assumed most teams had about 8/15 players out of contract at the end of the current season.

You can check the other club specific threads for their spreadsheets, but the main one that has all clubs together is here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...stics-live-spreadsheet.1207363/#post-58484978

Probably the bottom of the second tab would be most relevant.

North were smart enough to wrangle themselves out of falling into a deep hole after 2016-17 when their list looked dry and depleted, and put themselves together a nice enough list that in my opinion should play finals, but now I think they are beginning to really experience the consequences of their poor drafting from 2011-15. They have a criminally poor list of middle age players and there don't appear to be too many great ones coming into that age bracket either. Meanwhile Higgins, Goldstein, Cunnington, Brown and Tarrant are all approaching the back ends of their careers. They have a terrific top five players in my opinion, but the support is lacklustre and it's beginning to show on the field; that top group looks frustrated and disinterested.

This is the year they should have broken through and made finals, but it is 99% likely that they won't from here. They're at a crossroads where they need to make bold decisions on their current group which is middling. Neither here nor there; they either need to be aggressive and trade for talent, or prioritise the future. They have their own first round pick and Melbourne's, so whichever route they decide to take, they have some good pieces to work with.

I think North Melbourne desperately need to tackle middle age players and try to rocket up the ladder into contention before the aforementioned "top five" move on or retire. As frustrating as their lack of speed is through midfield and just about everywhere else, the more comically bad problem at North Melbourne is that they have about 4 or 5 rebounding defenders play every single week and they all are terrible users of the footy - Williams, Pittard, Macmillan and McDonald off the top of my head all either have awful kicks and/or poor football smarts. North will never get anywhere with their current defensive group and setup. They really need to recruit defenders.

North were smart enough to wrangle themselves out of falling into a deep hole after 2016-17 when their list looked dry and depleted, and put themselves together a nice enough list that in my opinion should play finals, but now I think they are beginning to really experience the consequences of their poor drafting from 2011-15. They have a criminally poor list of middle age players and there don't appear to be too many great ones coming into that age bracket either. Meanwhile Higgins, Goldstein, Cunnington, Brown and Tarrant are all approaching the back ends of their careers. They have a terrific top five players in my opinion, but the support is lacklustre and it's beginning to show on the field; that top group looks frustrated and disinterested.

This is the year they should have broken through and made finals, but it is 99% likely that they won't from here. They're at a crossroads where they need to make bold decisions on their current group which is middling. Neither here nor there; they either need to be aggressive and trade for talent, or prioritise the future. They have their own first round pick and Melbourne's, so whichever route they decide to take, they have some good pieces to work with.

I think North Melbourne desperately need to tackle middle age players and try to rocket up the ladder into contention before the aforementioned "top five" move on or retire. As frustrating as their lack of speed is through midfield and just about everywhere else, the more comically bad problem at North Melbourne is that they have about 4 or 5 rebounding defenders play every single week and they all are terrible users of the footy - Williams, Pittard, Macmillan and McDonald off the top of my head all either have awful kicks and/or poor football smarts. North will never get anywhere with their current defensive group and setup. They really need to recruit defenders.

Overall I fully agree with the list assessment. But I think the worst thing we can do is top up with ready made players. We have never rebuilt through the draft and we simply have to now.

2 top 5 picks this year would be a great start. But we need elite players, not average players. We have to think past Higgins, Tazz and Goldy.

But yeah, we desperately need fast skilled players.

North have to smash the draft.
They’ve tried to splash the cash and no quality is interested.
They hold what look to be 2 x top 5 picks.
If/when Daniher leaves, North should float Brown in front of Dodoro for their 1st rounder.
He might bite as they think they are in contention.
3 x good 1st rounders is a serious start to a required rebuild.

Back