Club Focus North Melbourne 2020 - Corr, Bosenavulagi, Stephenson, Young, Phillips, Powell, Lazaro, Spicer, Ford

AFL Club Focus

Do they need a priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Maybe next year

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne club thread

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

This version is purely based on footywire data. It cannot be manually updated.

This is a Roos-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, North Melbourne are:
- 6th tallest, averaging 188.7cm
- 5th heaviest, averaging 86.7kg
- 6th oldest with an average age of 24.4 years
- 9th most experienced, averaging 70.3 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 9)
2nd round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 27)
3rd round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 45)
4th round pick (tied to Brisbane Lions - currently pick 69)
5th round pick (tied to North Melbourne - currently pick 81)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Last edited by a moderator:

i assume Xerri but he's too young. maybe try ben mckay as a stop gap?

seems a waste of larkey to push into the ruck full time.
If Larkey can be a lead ruck and a dangerous target up forward it will be huge for North. So many ruckmen are like having a powerpole in the forward fifty.

No way Larkey becomes a ruckman, he's an OK chop out at this stage, but he'd be more Petrie as a ruckman, rather than Goldstein. He's a natural goal kicker.

Xerri looks more like a Fwd/Ruck rather than a #1 ruckman at this stage.

Reports we've been sniffing around Peter Ladhams from Port and Sam Draper from Essendon.

So expect us to be actively looking for a young ruckman in the trade period.

Alternatively, expect us to trade up for Luke Jackson if available around the start of the second round.

No way Larkey becomes a ruckman, he's an OK chop out at this stage, but he'd be more Petrie as a ruckman, rather than Goldstein.

Xerri looks more like a Fwd/Ruck rather than a #1 ruckman at this stage.

Reports we've been sniffing around Peter Ladhams from Port and Sam Draper from Essendon.

So expect us to be active looking for a young ruckman in the trade period.

Alternatively, expect us to trade up for Luke Jackson if available around the start of the second round.
Luke Jackson is relatively short for a modern-day ruckman (198cm). He also hasn't really played at either end, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him slide pretty far

Luke Jackson is relatively short for a modern-day ruckman (198cm). He also hasn't really played at either end, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him slide pretty far

I think rucks in general have already slid, but you might be right, he might even last until that 30 mark.

I think he will go OK, he's extremely athletic, not that really helps at boundary throw ins, but he has a fairly high ceiling as an around-the-ground ruck.

Live trading certainly makes it easier to fill in these list gaps.

I think rucks in general have already slid, but you might be right, he might even last until that 30 mark.

I think he will go OK, he's extremely athletic, not that really helps at boundary throw ins, but he has a fairly high ceiling as an around-the-ground ruck.

Live trading certainly makes it easier to fill in these list gaps.
You guys currently hold Picks 25 and 43 outside the 1st round, and it wouldn't shock me if he did last until Pick 43 (although more likely you'd pull the trigger at 25 if the club rates him).

Last year, Bailey Williams was tipped to be a last first / early second, but he ended up sliding to Pick 35. I think he's probably the most comparable player from last year's crop.

Even Tim English slid to Pick 19 in his draft year despite being extremely highly rated. Rucks just tend to not get taken early anymore.

His athleticism definitely helps his prospects of becoming more of a forward or tall defender, who can pinch hit in the ruck. If North did pick him up, it could prevent Ben Brown having to spend time in the ruck later down the track, or help cover for the loss of Tarrant. I think Jackson will do well, but I doubt he has immediate impact due to not having much experience as a KPF/KPD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys currently hold Picks 25 and 43 outside the 1st round, and it wouldn't shock me if he did last until Pick 43 (although more likely you'd pull the trigger at 25 if the club rates him).

Last year, Bailey Williams was tipped to be a last first / early second, but he ended up sliding to Pick 35. I think he's probably the most comparable player from last year's crop.

Even Tim English slid to Pick 19 in his draft year despite being extremely highly rated. Rucks just tend to not get taken early anymore.

His athleticism definitely helps his prospects of becoming more of a forward or tall defender, who can pinch hit in the ruck. If North did pick him up, it could prevent Ben Brown having to spend time in the ruck later down the track, or help cover for the loss of Tarrant. I think Jackson will do well, but I doubt he has immediate impact due to not having much experience as a KPF/KPD

Jackson is as highly rated as English in their respective years imo.

Finished runner up the Larke in a fairly competitive carnival.

As much upside as anyone considering his late switch from basketball.

Ash vs Serong vs Young is going to be an interesting discussion over the next few months from where we are currently placed.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of yesterday. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Todd Goldstein, Nathan Hrovat, Tom McKenzie, Declan Watson

The Kangaroos are as organised as any club in regards to their out-of-contract players this year, fresh from a string of re-signings last week. All indications are that unrestricted free agent Goldstein will follow on a multi-year deal, but Hrovat – who is back in the senior team – McKenzie and Watson have a fight on their hands. A back injury ruined rookie-lister McKenzie's debut season, so that may help his cause for a fresh contract.

With Pittard and M.Williams our two best small defenders for a packet of chips, I'd love to try use one of Atley/Macmillan/McDonald who are all much lesser players to get another decent pick, or a player in another position we lack depth in (ruck, another quick small forward who kicks goals releasing Thomas up the ground). I think Tom Murphy could be used in one of the spots freed up.
The other chat for us initiating talks to improve the list will be around Mason Wood. Talented enough to have trade value but hasn't put it together consistently enough. If we could see off Macmillan and Wood for example and get 2x 2nd rounders (even if later) I'd see that as a big win. Another genuine marking type ala Larkey (side note: all of Larkey, Mitch Lewis and Waterman were taken in the 70s in 1 draft) could be an ideal project pick, as Wood and Hosie are both undersized as marking forwards.

Defenders
Talls - Tarrant, Daw, Durdin, Vickers-Willis, McKay
Smalls- Pittard, Williams, Atley, Macmillan, McDonald, Murphy, McKenzie

Midfield
Rucks - Goldstein, Campbell, Xerri
Inside mids - Cunnington, Ziebell, Anderson, Tyson, Jacobs, Hayden
Clearance mids (not true in and under, but not receivers) - Higgins, Simpkin, LDU, Ahern
Outside mids/wings - Polec, Dumont, Hall, Scott, Walker

Forwards
Marking- Brown, Larkey, Wood, Hosie
Small/medium - Zurhaar, Thomas, Turner, Garner, Taylor, Crocker

So far, retired: Thompson, Wright
Delisted: Hrovat, Watson, Wilkinson, Red Og

Back