Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

David Swallow was the last Non-Victorian #1 pick, 11 years ago.

The next previous Non-Vic #1 pick was Bryce Gibbs 15 years ago. He is also the last SA #1 pick. He spent 11 seasons at Carlton and still netted a decent return.

Adam Cooney was the next soonest 18 years ago. He never returned to SA and still lives in Vic.

The next before that was Nick Riewoldt, 21 years ago. Nick never returned to QLD and still lives in Vic.

There's only been 4 non-vic #1 picks in 21 years and they weren't exactly a hive of activity to return to their home states.

Haha thanks for doing the gruntwork for that.

Interesting.

I guess North would have their assurances too from the kid after speaking with him (for whatever that's worth at this early stage of his career/life). If he seemed hesitant they wouldn't be backing him in surely.

The appeal of playing in Victoria can be high on the list of pluses for young interstate players too I'm sure.

Itll perhaps only be down to North's development in the next few years then. They'll need to keep improving year on year to hold their talent.

Bit late to this Convo but what did people think of Richmonds alleged offer?

I believe it was:
7 + 15 + 26 + CCJ

Hartley was on the radio this morning. He said it would have been remiss of the Tiges to not at least make an offer. Was never realistic though. Didn't push for it at all.

I've said it earlier, that's a rubbish offer for a #1 pick. 7 & 15 are fine but there's got to be another around the 4/5 mark to be taken seriously.

Really tricky situation for NM (and I'm trying not to write this with my Crows' hat on)...first and foremost they want to accelerate their rebuild and make the right selection(s) but then beyond that they want to sell hope to their fans and not send the wrong messages to the industry at large (players, clubs, managers).

If I were in their shoes and I could swap JHF for the best (in their opinion) Victorian midfielder in this draft to (hopefully) negate the go-home factor and then in addition get another top 5 pick plus a further sweetener of another best 22 player (in a position of need for them) or a late first round pick then surely that's got to be very tempting.

Three-for-one deal would surely lower the comparative risk of not getting a (at least one) gun player and give them good odds on getting two or three top players.

Really tricky situation for NM (and I'm trying not to write this with my Crows' hat on)...first and foremost they want to accelerate their rebuild and make the right selection(s) but then beyond that they want to sell hope to their fans and not send the wrong messages to the industry at large (players, clubs, managers).

If I were in their shoes and I could swap JHF for the best (in their opinion) Victorian midfielder in this draft to (hopefully) negate the go-home factor and then in addition get another top 5 pick plus a further sweetener of another best 22 player (in a position of need for them) or a late first round pick then surely that's got to be very tempting.

Three-for-one deal would surely lower the comparative risk of not getting a (at least one) gun player and give them good odds on getting two or three top players.

I really don't think the SA go home factor is an issue at all.

We took Powell last year, we just recruited CCJ, both from SA. Some of our best kids are from interstate like Zurhaar.

In the grand scheme of things I can't think of too many top SA kids that have actually had the go home factor. I'd be more worried if he was from WA, like we were with Logan McDonald apparently.

If Lukosius or Rankine ever return, I think that's more to do with the GC than anything else.

Neale went to WA.

Grundy re-signed with Collingwood.

Hately and Dawson I guess? Hately left for opportunity as much as anything.

Gibbs had extenuating personal circumstances and probably would have stayed at Carlton otherwise.

If Horne shacks up with a Victorian girl, he wont be going anywhere.

Not exactly an extensive list of young South Australian guys wanting to leave Melbourne, Sydney or Perth to return back to Adelaide.

Why would we spend pick 13 on Powell the year previous if we thought the go home was an issue? Would be hypocritical to then worry about it a year later.

The crows offer was a 3(5after daicos and Darcy) pick downgrade for a future first plus what is likely a an upgrade from a future high second to a future low first

It isn’t a monster deal particularly considering the potential shown plus the fact that of the available draftees (not including D and D) there’s probably only one other player rated close to as high (Callaghan)

It’s not even a 3 for one deal.

I wish people understood that

You know how the deal sucked? SOS would’ve taken it.

The go-home factor of VIC to SA is irrelevant. It's a bit different to poaching these guys from Gold Coast.

When was the last time North lost a player to SA? Shannon Motlop in 2003? Scott Welsh in 1999?

Coleman-Jones a South Australian has just signed with us for 4 years. Powell another South Australian has extended his contract for an addition 2 years on his existing 2 year deal.

Multiple industry experts (including his South Adelaide coach) consider JHF as a fiercely loyal kid. Others have even said he's excited about moving to VIC. The club has said it would back itself in to retain a player from any state. Jason has said him self he'd be happy if North drafted him.

The go-home factor of VIC to SA is irrelevant. It's a bit different to poaching these guys from Gold Coast.

When was the last time North lost a player to SA? Shannon Motlop in 2003? Scott Welsh in 1999?

Coleman-Jones a South Australian has just signed with us for 4 years. Powell another South Australian has extended his contract for an addition 2 years on his existing 2 year deal.

Multiple industry experts (including his South Adelaide coach) consider JHF as a fiercely loyal kid. Others have even said he's excited about moving to VIC. The club has said it would back itself in to retain a player from any state. Jason has said him self he'd be happy if North drafted him.

The Motlops are from NT and we lost Daniel in 2006, they played their top age underage footy in the SANFL though.

Byron the last real gun player in 2003. Byron was born in WA but raised in Port Lincoln. Funnily enough he was probably going to leave the Port SANFL u/19 side and move back to Port Lincoln because he was homesick, right before North drafted him. Big sliding doors moment in his life that I've spoken to him personally about before.

He said the best decision he's ever made in his life was nominating for the 1996 draft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hartley was on the radio this morning. He said it would have been remiss of the Tiges to not at least make an offer. Was never realistic though. Didn't push for it at all.

I've said it earlier, that's a rubbish offer for a #1 pick. 7 & 15 are fine but there's got to be another around the 4/5 mark to be taken seriously.

Can't win if you don't play, good on the Tigers

Can't win if you don't play, good on the Tigers

At least they acknowledged it, hope that quiets some of the bullshit from the media

I think the single biggest factor in this whole pick #1 trade discussion is North's assessment of the flight risk of JHF. If (for all the reasons you and other North fans have listed and I note that Vic kids seem to have bigger go-home factor than others) your club believes that this risk is low ("irrelevant" as you put it) then I agree that (assuming you rate him the best available talent) you shouldn't be interested in a trade.

If however their assessment (which is surely where the personal interviews come into play) is that it does present some meaningful degree of risk (e.g. family connection to Port Adelaide) then surely they must at least listen to offers and consider their position.

In that case getting the next best mid who is local plus another (likely) top 5 pick plus some other sweetener has got to be tempting. This is not a dig at North - surely any club in this situation is going through the same thought process.

I think the single biggest factor in this whole pick #1 trade discussion is North's assessment of the flight risk of JHF. If (for all the reasons you and other North fans have listed and I note that Vic kids seem to have bigger go-home factor than others) your club believes that this risk is low ("irrelevant" as you put it) then I agree that (assuming you rate him the best available talent) you shouldn't be interested in a trade.

If however their assessment (which is surely where the personal interviews come into play) is that it does present some meaningful degree of risk (e.g. family connection to Port Adelaide) then surely they must at least listen to offers and consider their position.

In that case getting the next best mid who is local plus another (likely) top 5 pick plus some other sweetener has got to be tempting. This is not a dig at North - surely any club in this situation is going through the same thought process.

Callaghan is the next best and probably the only one comparable , you’d think he’d be picked before pick 4 (6).

After that the quality drops.

If we rate JHF #1 considering his stated happiness to play in vic, desire to go #1, interest in north. I’d doubt we’d assess the flight risk.

Again the deal isn’t that great

Worst case scenario and he does want to go back, we could get more after 2 years

Callaghan is the next best and probably the only one comparable , you’d think he’d be picked before pick 4 (6).

After that the quality drops.

If we rate JHF #1 considering his stated happiness to play in vic, desire to go #1, interest in north. I’d doubt we’d assess the flight risk.

Again the deal isn’t that great

Worst case scenario and he does want to go back, we could get more after 2 years

I personally don't think the quality drops...what drops is visibility of where the kids are at given there is little to no exposed form of most of the Vic kids.

It was interesting to hear Hartley this morning. He said the Tiges deliberately targeted this years draft (especially with Geelong's first round pick they picked up last year) because they had no exposed form last year. And lo and behold, they have no visibility of this years draft.

At least North know what they're in for with JFH. Every other club's talent team are sh1tting themselves right about now trying to rank the draft.

Can anyone please confirm this assumption there is a family connection to Port that people keep mentioning?

Fabian played 88 games in the AFL for Port, prior to that he played 2 seasons in the SANFL for them. 119 games if you combine state level with the AFL level.

Hardly Craig Bradley is it?

He was also at Melbourne for a season and the Bears for 2 seasons. Should JHF have a connection to Brisbane?

JHF had the chance to play for Port in the SANFL and he played for South Adelaide. He even supporters Fremantle. How big is this Port connection people keep speaking about? Seems like a convenient assumption to me.

I've never heard anything from Fabian on the topic also. He's not some sort of Port power broker....

I personally don't think the quality drops...what drops is visibility of where the kids are at given there is little to no exposed form of most of the Vic kids.

It was interesting to hear Hartley this morning. He said the Tiges deliberately targeted this years draft (especially with Geelong's first round pick they picked up last year) because they had no exposed form last year. And lo and behold, they have no visibility of this years draft.

At least North know what they're in for with JFH. Every other club's talent team are sh1tting themselves right about now trying to rank the draft.
It’s completely possible but JHFs exposed form suggests he is special. The fact that the other vic kids are pretty unexposed is a pain in the arse, me personally being risk adverse it’s probably good just to go with the known quality

The funny thing is, if JHF was to go back home, North will get an absolute kings ransom, if he lives up the hype.

These early offers are just proof of how highly rated he is by all recruiters.

Its honestly laughable that Daicos is still being mentioned in the same breath.

Daicos wants to play for the Pies and will be a lifer, risk for north is Francis wants to go home at some point.

I think drafting has become more exact and precision based since that.

As I say in my previous post, Carlton were offered a tasty offer for our number 1 pick a few years ago, but I wouldn't trade Sam Walsh for anyone else in this league.
Walsh will go down with Riewoldt and Hodge as the only players to date to be ‘worth’ pick one. Goddard was the best player in his draft, but as good as he was he flattered to deceive for a lot of his career.

Walsh will go down with Riewoldt and Hodge as the only players to date to be ‘worth’ pick one. Goddard was the best player in his draft, but as good as he was he flattered to deceive for a lot of his career.

I know he is not the best player from the absolutely loaded 2015 draft (clearly Clarry Oliver is and always will be) but still firmly believe Carlton take Weitering at pick 1, given what we know now (if Carlton won 2-3 more games last season, I am fairly confident he would have made the AA team, even on the bench)

As the Goddard draft was pretty poor in hindsight with the quality and depth in that crop, Kade Simpson probably the 3rd best player from that draft class and he was taken in the 40s (injuries robbed Wells of being the champion player he could have been Imo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back