Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Train on player looking for an SSP rookie spot:
Marty Hore - Melbourne Football Club

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hunt is on for a KPD surely
I hope so. We seem reluctant to draft KPD's for some reason. Maybe there just hasn't been anyone who has tickled our fancy. We may take a long shot at a FA at the end of next season : Moore or Sicily? Or maybe trade a surplus young mid for someone.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I hope so. We seem reluctant to draft KPD's for some reason. Maybe there just hasn't been anyone who has tickled our fancy. We may take a long shot at a FA at the end of next season : Moore or Sicily? Or maybe trade a surplus young mid for someone.
There is some good ones coming through in the 2022 draft.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
12 months ago it was we need to draft a KPF and we have since picked up Edwards and CCJ. I am confident the club knows what it is doing given we can bring someone in outside of the National Draft.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like Norths rebuild and think they'll rise up the ladder sooner then most people think.

Started off by recruiting from the contest out. Guys like Phillips, Powell, LDU, Simpkin, JHF, have the potential to really carry this clubs midfield brigade for the next 10 years. Add in outside class in Stephenson, Thomas, Lazzaro, Ford on top of experience players like Cunnington, Anderson, Greenwood and Goldstein and they've got the balanced perfectly.

Their forward line is also quiet sound. Melbourne showed this year that you don't need an All star forward line to win you a premiership. So having Larkey as the main vocal point surrounded by some handy mid to small forwards and again I think their balance is fine once again. CCJ will also help ease the pressure off Larkey and really think its smart recruiting by North.

The only concern I would have is there defence. There's a few players who are getting on in terms of football age. I speak of Ziebell (31 yrs next year) Walker (29 yrs) Corr (27 yrs) Hall (31 yrs). Tarrant is a big loss for them so if they can recruit a gun defender (Darcy Moore?) in the next few years then I think they'll be okay.

All in all, I'm taking their list for the next 6 years over Hawthorn, Adelaide, St Kilda and Carlton.

I like Norths rebuild and think they'll rise up the ladder sooner then most people think.

Started off by recruiting from the contest out. Guys like Phillips, Powell, LDU, Simpkin, JHF, have the potential to really carry this clubs midfield brigade for the next 10 years. Add in outside class in Stephenson, Thomas, Lazzaro, Ford on top of experience players like Cunnington, Anderson, Greenwood and Goldstein and they've got the balanced perfectly.

Their forward line is also quiet sound. Melbourne showed this year that you don't need an All star forward line to win you a premiership. So having Larkey as the main vocal point surrounded by some handy mid to small forwards and again I think their balance is fine once again. CCJ will also help ease the pressure off Larkey and really think its smart recruiting by North.

The only concern I would have is there defence. There's a few players who are getting on in terms of football age. I speak of Ziebell (31 yrs next year) Walker (29 yrs) Corr (27 yrs) Hall (31 yrs). Tarrant is a big loss for them so if they can recruit a gun defender (Darcy Moore?) in the next few years then I think they'll be okay.

All in all, I'm taking their list for the next 6 years over Hawthorn, Adelaide, St Kilda and Carlton.

Great analysis mate.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I really rate North’s rebuild as well but it seems plenty of people on this site think they’ll take a big step forward next year which I don’t see happening. The Goldy train has to slow down at some point, Tarrant gone, Cunnington cancer and you’d expect Ziebell and Hall to regress due to age.

Tbh not jumping into the middle group of the ladder in 2022 may be a good thing. Give them the chance to grab another top 4/5 pick which if they nail all of a sudden their list is starting to look almost expansion side like with the amount of young talent coming through.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I really rate North’s rebuild as well but it seems plenty of people on this site think they’ll take a big step forward next year which I don’t see happening. The Goldy train has to slow down at some point, Tarrant gone, Cunnington cancer and you’d expect Ziebell and Hall to regress due to age.

Tbh not jumping into the middle group of the ladder in 2022 may be a good thing. Give them the chance to grab another top 4/5 pick which if they nail all of a sudden their list is starting to look almost expansion side like with the amount of young talent coming through.
Not many North fans I know are expecting a big leap in 2022. Just look at our demographics, our only depth is young guys and they need time. We've changed the S/C team but I don't expect our injury problems to be solved overnight.

So you're spot on. We're almost guaranteed another top 5 pick and with our midfield set we could spend it like the Giants have done and go for the best and most athletic outside player available (like the Ash, Whitfield picks etc) or a tall if there's one in that range.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not many North fans I know are expecting a big leap in 2022. Just look at our demographics, our only depth is young guys and they need time. We've changed the S/C team but I don't expect our injury problems to be solved overnight.

So you're spot on. We're almost guaranteed another top 5 pick and with our midfield set we could spend it like the Giants have done and go for the best and most athletic outside player available (like the Ash, Whitfield picks etc) or a tall if there's one in that range.

Yeah I think that’s fair. Outside the couple usual over the top North fans I’d say most posters picking them to rise have been neutrals who correctly look at Thomas, Simpkin, LDU, Zurhaar and think North have plenty of talent without realising due to the massive list turn over there is still quite a few holes in the side that will be filled by either extremely inexperienced players or below average ones.

I don’t mind the blues list if they can get curnow fit

otherwise agree, taking our list over hawks, crows and saints list

for us KPD has to be a focus, Mckay we have long term and Corr for another 5 years but need another to come through

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Cunners is the main one. If he misses a lot of the year we could really struggle again. Over the last two years we have won 6.5 out of the 18 games Cunnington has played and only 1 of 21 when he hasn't.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Cunners is the main one. If he misses a lot of the year we could really struggle again. Over the last two years we have won 6.5 out of the 18 games Cunnington has played and only 1 of 21 when he hasn't.

Greenwood is an excellent stop gap in that role so at least the young bodies have some protection

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
But I think this is where LDU and Simpkin really step up and take their game to another level. By doing this, this relieves the pressure of not having Cunnington doing all the grunt work. This could be blessing in disguise.

I think they finished off the year well and would take some confidence out of that. But I agree, I think if they can win 7-8 games it's a pass for me. Blood guys like JHF, Goater, and continue to pump games into Powell, Phillips, Ford Lazzaro etc. More natural developments in Simpkin, McKay, Thomas, Larkey, LDU and I think they'll be fine.

It's the year after (2023) where I see a genuine spike in their rise up the ladder.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But I think this is where LDU and Simpkin really step up and take their game to another level. By doing this, this relieves the pressure of not having Cunnington doing all the grunt work. This could be blessing in disguise.

I think they finished off the year well and would take some confidence out of that. But I agree, I think if they can win 7-8 games it's a pass for me. Blood guys like JHF, Goater, and continue to pump games into Powell, Phillips, Ford Lazzaro etc. More natural developments in Simpkin, McKay, Thomas, Larkey, LDU and I think they'll be fine.

It's the year after (2023) where I see a genuine spike in their rise up the ladder.

I agree with most of this.

Simpkin is 24 next season and LDU turns 23. Simpkin could be the captain next year when the playing group vote.

This isn't a few years ago, these two are very much ready to lead the line, they don't need protection, they will be doing the protecting. Greenwood just offers some good two way ability in and around the contest, which even Cunners lacked tbh. He may actually be a better fit with his defensive work.

Booplaz

Senior List
Jul 29, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

They’ve set themselves up fantastically

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yeah I think that’s fair. Outside the couple usual over the top North fans I’d say most posters picking them to rise have been neutrals who correctly look at Thomas, Simpkin, LDU, Zurhaar and think North have plenty of talent without realising due to the massive list turn over there is still quite a few holes in the side that will be filled by either extremely inexperienced players or below average ones.
Agree - i'm excited for 2022 and think the club is rebuilding correctly through the draft as well as a couple of handy trades. But under no illusion that bottom 4 is the most realistic result for us. Alot of key position top end talent in next years draft so another top 4 pick won't be such a bad thing long term. The rise should start in 2023.

Paul Roos is at North yeah? Very similar to when he led Melbourne’s rebuild, build the midfield first through the draft, trade for key position players later (Lever and May)

I remember him saying key position players are a hit and miss in the draft while mids usually are a much surer thing.

Darcy Moore would be perfect for North imo

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Paul Roos is at North yeah? Very similar to when he led Melbourne’s rebuild, build the midfield first through the draft, trade for key position players later (Lever and May)

I remember him saying key position players are a hit and miss in the draft while mids usually are a much surer thing.

Darcy Moore would be perfect for North imo

He's more in a mentoring role with Noble, not really involved in recruitment and day to day running of the club.

But I think this seems to be the philosophy of Rawlins and Luff, regardless. It looks to me they will look to FA and the trade table for our KPP's. Whether it's King, Moore or someone else, I think at some point we will have a few first rounders on the table for the right fit.

I agree about Moore, not an easy get though, will depend on how we look next season.

Back