Club Focus North Melbourne 2022 - Logue, Tucker, Sheezel, Wardlaw, George, Harvey, Drury, Free, Howe, Turner

AFL Club Focus

What priority picks should North get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Biggest issue for me is that their key defensive stocks are garbage

McKay is a jet but injury prone
Corr is not a good player, nearly 28 and injury prone
Walker is solid but 29 and has really only had the one full season of AFL last year.

And then there's McGuinness at 192? They have their FB and FF sorted for a while in McKay (if he stays injury free) and Larkey, but what's their plan for Comben, Edwards and CCJ? Have they tried any of them in defence, and if not, why not?

Biggest issue for me is that their key defensive stocks are garbage

McKay is a jet but injury prone
Corr is not a good player, nearly 28 and injury prone
Walker is solid but 29 and has really only had the one full season of AFL last year.

And then there's McGuinness at 192? They have their FB and FF sorted for a while in McKay (if he stays injury free) and Larkey, but what's their plan for Comben, Edwards and CCJ? Have they tried any of them in defence, and if not, why not?
We’ve been saying this for 2 years that KPD is an issue but our nuffy list management team don’t do anything about it

CCJ will be our main ruck, Comben partners Larkey up front.

Edwards would be that second ruck that goes forward also (Luke Jackson type) but jury is out and he may just be depth

We’ve been saying this for 2 years that KPD is an issue but our nuffy list management team don’t do anything about it

CCJ will be our main ruck, Comben partners Larkey up front.

Edwards would be that second ruck that goes forward also (Luke Jackson type) but jury is out and he may just be depth
I have Xerri (after a pretty solid start to the year) as your main ruck.

I reckon Comben should be the one to move back honestly.

I have Xerri (after a pretty solid start to the year) as your main ruck.

I reckon Comben should be the one to move back honestly.
Comben is thrown around as a potential chb on our board but I still think he needs to say fwd, he is a promising contested mark and if we can get him through his fitness issues he would be a perfect compliment with Larkeys smart leading.

I think for chb we need to recruit one.

North picked him because he was having a good year before he left the giants. Playing the third tall interceptor role
i think at the time he would have been that third tall, then Tarrant wanted to go.

I suspect unbalanced lists are going to be a feature of rebuilds in the current context, as you only get so many top picks in a shallower pool (because covid and because 18 teams) and you only have so many list spots (because covid).

The fastest way to rebuild an entire list from the ground up appears to be to take whatever is available with a preference (where you don’t have to reach for it) for the types that take longer to develop, but that can potentially mean having depth and holes in all the wrong places for a while.

In that context there’s going to be a couple or a few hard seasons in between, while the shallow areas of the list can easily kill your chances with a couple of injuries, and the deep areas aren’t fully developed and have to learn on the job against stiff opposition.

It’s much easier to have a sustainable list and do a mini rebuild with one bad year every so often and keep near the top for longer though. Some clubs do it better than others.
Purely from a drafting perspective, sure.

But that's why you have the trading period right?

Plenty of suitors for North's talented midfielders, they should be learning from GWS' mistake and optimise team balance.

Purely from a drafting perspective, sure.

But that's why you have the trading period right?

Plenty of suitors for North's talented midfielders, they should be learning from GWS' mistake and optimise team balance.
Trade periods depend on the same finite amount of draft capital that you can use in the draft, so it is still limited. If you only need to replace 3 players that’s not the same as turning over half the list or more.

Free agency is a thing but the only free agents under 26 are previously delisted from elsewhere, so you’re basically hunting through the bargain bin and unlikely to come up with many Tim Kelly type options to rebuild the nucleus of an AFL standard list around.

I think we are all unestimated the loss of Cunnington has been for North.

He is still (atm) their best player and their spiritual leader,and their young midfield and kids do look a bit lost out there.

Cannot put a price on what Cunnington gives for North..

Shaun Higgins
Ben Brown
Paul Ahern
Joel Crocker
Majak Daw
Sam Durdin
Lachlan Hosie
Ben Jacobs
Jamie Macmillan
Tom Murphy
Jasper Pittard
Marley Williams
Mason Wood
Most of these

Looking Mona Lisa GIF

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They rejected what will probably end up being pick 4, a top 10 pick and a late first for a kid that probably goes home anyway.

Take Gibcus, Wardlaw, Lemmey and Busslinger over the last two drafts.

‘Long-term approach’: Below-par Kangaroos say rebuild will take time as frustration grows

In this article Amarfio basically states that the club went into the process with it's eyes open on what it would look like and entail where in comes to on field performance

Would be farcical for the AFL to give over a priority pick to a club who has stated that their plan was to "spend three or four years near the bottom before contesting in finals around the sixth year"

‘Long-term approach’: Below-par Kangaroos say rebuild will take time as frustration grows

In this article Amarfio basically states that the club went into the process with it's eyes open on what it would look like and entail where in comes to on field performance

Would be farcical for the AFL to give over a priority pick to a club who has stated that their plan was to "spend three or four years near the bottom before contesting in finals around the sixth year"
when did they consider it started though?
LDU - pick 4 in '17
Thomas - 7 in '18
Trade 8 in '19 that went to become Powell @ 13 in '20
Phillips - 3 in '20
JHF - 1 in '21
Consider also Stephenson as a cheap trade/
Have recruited a lot of highly rated young mids. But without the development, their pick will mean little moving forward

Is it another 2-3 years?

We will either have pick 1 or 2 depending on where will finish with NO Priority pick of any description giving to us.
We'll get at least one priority pick - AFL media started conditioning the football public a while ago.

Back