News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was curious about the turnouts down here so i had a look

GWS R2 2012 - 11,127
Eagles R15 2012 - 14,113
Swans R3 2013 - 13,221
Power R6 2013 - 10,265
Saints R17 2014 - 10,641
Crows R22 2014 - 10,702
Tigers R6 2015 - 17,544
Eagles R10 2015 - 12,011
Saints R20 2015 - 14,346
Demons R3 2016 - 12,607
Tigers R11 2016 - 17,844
Swans R22 2016 - 16,495
GWS R3 2017 - 8,758
Crows R7 2017 - 10,064

Suppose crowd figures don't really matter to much to the club for these games financially though.

There was no excuse. It was a poor turnout. But 15,000 > 10,000. :stern look
$500,000 in is better than $(whatever the number) out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Baz I haven't missed a Melbourne match that the NMFC has played during the H&A season including finals since 1993. :stern look
I haven't missed a NMFC game in Tas yet and have been a member since '96, but it's not really about those that DO turn up is it?

Baz I haven't missed a Melbourne match that the NMFC has played during the H&A season including finals since 1993. :stern look
And seriously, props to you, great effort. Bit jealous actually

The push, from Tasmanians, for their own AFL teams, continues - http://www.theage.com.au/afl/footballs-lost-years-in-tasmania-20170518-gw88d6.html.

It won't happen overnight, but I'm confident it will happen. I know that we'll get a much better stadium deal at Etihad, and that we have a wonderful vision for Arden. But, if we strip out the dollars from our Tasmanian membership, and the money we get for playing in Hobart, and remembering that we still need AFL dollars to keep afloat - how far short of being financially viable would we be if we were no longer able to play in Tasmania?

Now, I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. Obviously, the Board is aware of the issue, and as part of its risk management, is planning for all contingencies. But I am interested in trying to better gauge our financial situation.

Last edited:
The push, from Tasmanians, for their own AFL teams, continues - http://www.theage.com.au/afl/footballs-lost-years-in-tasmania-20170518-gw88d6.html.

It won't happen overnight, but I'm confident it will happen. I know that we'll get a much better stadium deal at Etihad, and that we have a wonderful vision for Arden. But, if we strip out the dollars from our Tasmanian membership, and the money we get for playing in Hobart, and remembering that we still need AFL dollars to keep afloat - how far short of being financially viable would we be if we were no longer able to play in Tasmania?

Now, I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. Obviously, the Board is aware of the issue, and as part of its risk management, is planning for all contingencies. But I am interested in trying to better gauge our financial situation.
The AFL will probably kick off the Tassie project in 2018 and gift wrap Tarryn as a 'zone selection'. BBB will join them as their first Captain and we will be compensated with pick 69 :stern look

And Caro's tiny nudges will grow to pushes........ mark my words.......

McLachlan's task in part involves negotiating the Hawks out of Tasmania – which will come at a price – unless that club is prepared to play football across the state. Or convince the Kangaroos with their new multicultural Tasmanian academy to do the same.

Again, where North is concerned, it's all largely about the money.

Should the new deal at Etihad Stadium prove as generous as the Docklands home clubs had hoped, there is no chance the Kangaroos will play more than three home games in Tasmania. Should they prove successful in enlisting the help of that state in gaining a women's licence, the state government should insist upon naming the club the Tasmanian Kangaroos.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/footballs-lost-years-in-tasmania-20170518-gw88d6.html

And Caro's tiny nudges will grow to pushes........ mark my words.......

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/footballs-lost-years-in-tasmania-20170518-gw88d6.html

I would have thought that by the time this contract ends we will be out of the debt hole. Let's face it, Melbourne based supporters would be happy to have the full 11 home games without substitute games to make up the difference. And with the AFL owning our home stadium now, the crap contract we have there 'should' be changed.

If they do that, then it clears the way for us to be in Melbourne full time and Tasmania to have a team. Caro has the right of it imo, it is a ******* travesty that GC have a team and Tasmania doesn't.

It would be a brave and honourable move for our club to say that we fully support a new team in Tasmania, and that any future games we host down there will not be considered if it impedes this goal.

GIVE TASMANIA A TEAM.

I would have thought that by the time this contract ends we will be out of the debt hole. Let's face it, Melbourne based supporters would be happy to have the full 11 home games without substitute games to make up the difference. And with the AFL owning our home stadium now, the crap contract we have there 'should' be changed.

If they do that, then it clears the way for us to be in Melbourne full time and Tasmania to have a team. Caro has the right of it imo, it is a ******* travesty that GC have a team and Tasmania doesn't.

It would be a brave and honourable move for our club to say that we fully support a new team in Tasmania, and that any future games we host down there will not be considered if it impedes this goal.

GIVE TASMANIA A TEAM.

You have too much faith in the AFL

Hard to argue with the name for the women's team if Tasmania has a big stake in getting us the AFLW license... We should really carefully consider if we take the bait. I'd really prefer if the AFLW team could operate from Arden St.
I have no argument with Tassie having a team, men's/women's/both. None argument all.

It's just that fact that we've seen this before when local grumblings about a team get louder, and we always seem to be on the spot when it does.

Each mention is just a small grain of sand....... but the hourglass will get pretty damn full and heavy before long and suddenly (as we've experienced before and no matter what we say) the push become with a fair bit of weight behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have too much faith in the AFL
I have little faith in the AFL. The club needs to get on the front foot and support a new team in Tasmania. It is a lot harder for the AFL to push the 'North to Hobart' line if they are given a viable alternative.

Also, I am not sure how long it would take for Tasmanians to say that a relocated North was their team, at least a generation. So be proactive (in our own long term interests) by backing a new team.

I have little faith in the AFL. The club needs to get on the front foot and support a new team in Tasmania. It is a lot harder for the AFL to push the 'North to Hobart' line if they are given a viable alternative.

Also, I am not sure how long it would take for Tasmanians to say that a relocated North was their team, at least a generation. So be proactive (in our own long term interests) by backing a new team.

Can't see them adding a new team but would support it if they did.

I was referring to the AFL making things easier for us because they own Etihad. Now I love a long bow, so I suggest the reason why the AFL didn't come to terms with the PA on the EBA before the season is because the next thing on their agenda is fixing the stadium deal. When our own CEO was on radio at the beginning of the year, he was asked if a new stadium deal had been struck with the AFL. Delina stated they want to go into negotiations about it but was told by the AFL they won't be in discussion till they sort out the Players EBA.

Basically it suits the AFL to hold out for as long as possible because it means more money for their own coffers.

For as long as Melbourne, St Kilda, Bulldogs in particular are in a similar position revenue and profit wise the AFL's ability to squeeze us is limited. In particular our fellow Docklands "tenant" clubs. They can't afford to starve half to death 3 clubs at the same time. They can blather all they want about wanting a team in Tasmania and it doesn't change anything. We have no incentive and their leverage is limited when we are all in similar boats. A better Etihad deal helps all of us. A poor one hurts all of us (and arguably us less given our Tasmanian income stream).

Can't see them adding a new team but would support it if they did.

I was referring to the AFL making things easier for us because they own Etihad. Now I love a long bow, so I suggest the reason why the AFL didn't come to terms with the PA on the EBA before the season is because the next thing on their agenda is fixing the stadium deal. When our own CEO was on radio at the beginning of the year, he was asked if a new stadium deal had been struck with the AFL. Delina stated they want to go into negotiations about it but was told by the AFL they won't be in discussion till they sort out the Players EBA.

Basically it suits the AFL to hold out for as long as possible because it means more money for their own coffers.
Yep, and furthermore, I wouldn't put it past them to somehow put together a stadium deal for North that is less favourable than for the other co-tenants. I'd have the legal eagles (and the accountants and economists) all over it with a fine toothed comb to ensure there are no loopholes that mean we're any worse off than others.

Just as a 1% difference on the field can be the difference between a win and a loss, so too can a lack of vigilance here be the difference between the option to be 100% Victorian based, retaining our current positioning or being full or co-located.

So long as we're aware of the thin end of the wedge, in the meantime I'm grateful for our current Tassie deal.

For as long as Melbourne, St Kilda, Bulldogs in particular are in a similar position revenue and profit wise the AFL's ability to squeeze us is limited. In particular our fellow Docklands "tenant" clubs. They can't afford to starve half to death 3 clubs at the same time. They can blather all they want about wanting a team in Tasmania and it doesn't change anything. We have no incentive and their leverage is limited when we are all in similar boats. A better Etihad deal helps all of us. A poor one hurts all of us (and arguably us less given our Tasmanian income stream).
As long as. As my post above suggests, however, I wouldn't put it past the AFL to strike separate arrangements in which we're the poor cousin. It may have been different circumstances, but the fact that Essendon's* deal with Etihad was different to us, Dogs, Saints and Blues is a case in point.

Im all for Tassie having their own team but you have to ask who would want to play for it?

A bunch of 20 somethings who earn 300k+ a year and are likely single arent going to want to live in Tasmania. Its a beautiful place but there wont be the lifestyle a rich 20 something will want. Also - there will be less business opportunities for them.

I really like the idea overall but they will have huge problems keeping players down there

Im all for Tassie having their own team but you have to ask who would want to play for it?

A bunch of 20 somethings who earn 300k+ a year and are likely single arent going to want to live in Tasmania. Its a beautiful place but there wont be the lifestyle a rich 20 something will want. Also - there will be less business opportunities for them.

I really like the idea overall but they will have huge problems keeping players down there
Sounds like a new Brisbane.

Mods, can we put all this Tassie talk in the Tassie thread? Given the potential ramifications it would be good to have one 'go to' spot for all this news and/or commentary.

Well a good thing if there was another team they can get rid of that split 3 round bye crap. I cant stand it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back