North Melbourne and the 1990's | Page 12 | BigFooty

North Melbourne and the 1990's

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Macpotata, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Macpotata

Macpotata Premiership Player

Geelong
    Precisely.

NorthernLights likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Macpotata

Geelong
    North were the best team for me in the 90's. But no way in hell I'm going to say they should have won 1994. They obviously didn't even get there. But even if they did, WCE finished 16-6 and top of the ladder smashing the Roos by a flattering 37 points at the MCG { led by 59 in the last term ) and in the 2nd meeting at the WACA had the game sewn up with a quarter to spare with a 40 point 3 qtr time lead. Only won by 9 in the end, but they took their foot off the gas. Again.

West Coast smashed us and we had strong momentum going in. If we could beat them, GOD knows what the Eagles would do { see what I did there }

3. Father Jack

Father Jack Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    and we didn't plumb the depths of the ladder in as many years as North did (or ever in the 90s). If most people did have North as the team of the decade it's because they finished the decade better. Reverse the decade around and most would've probably said the Eagles as they finished the stronger. As I've said before, the teams were almost impossible to split.

4. kid_a

kid_a Club Legend

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Glory, Hammarby
    I put less weight on finals wins when talking about how good a club was over an entire decade.
    IMO how conistently good a side is over a prolonged period of time is the biggest factor I take into account after Premierships.
    Finals wins definitely count for a lot, but you can easily have a purple patch for just a few weeks and make a season look better than it actually was, just as the opposite is true
    See Bulldogs 2016 as the obvious example, but even West Coast of 2017 is somewhat of an example, we finished in the last 6, but we certainly werent one of the 6 best sides over that whole year. Conversly Freo were one of the best sides over the entire 2014 season but didnt even make the final four.
    I think West Coast of 1996 were a better performing side than North Melbourne of 1997, yet they were eliminated one week earlier.

Each to their own though, everyone has their own ratings system I guess.

5. NorthernLights

NorthernLights Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Celtics Saints LSU Chelsea RedSox
    Right, you were adequate for longer but we were genuine contenders for longer.

6. Cold Sober

Cold Sober Suspended

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
    Geelong lost 92 to steroids, every man in Australia knows that.

7. Dazzler10

Dazzler10 Club Legend

West Coast
    Yeah I’m not sure about that.

8. NorthernLights

NorthernLights Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Celtics Saints LSU Chelsea RedSox
    You made the finals in more seasons than us (adequacy), we were top 4 caliber in more seasons than you (genuine contenders). I reckon using the latter as the benchmark gives a better indication of who had the higher quality decade.

Macpotata likes this.
  9. Dazzler10

Dazzler10 Club Legend

West Coast
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. kid_a

kid_a Club Legend

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Glory, Hammarby
    Im with you, but I´ll give NorthernLights credit, he has his own view on how they should be rated and at least has respectful debate without just turning into an angry defensive keyboard warrior.

11. Dazzler10

Dazzler10 Club Legend

West Coast
    [​IMG]

NorthernLights and kid_a like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Suma Magic

Suma Magic Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    An amazing team.

Clearly the best of the late 90s and second best overall of the 90s.

Thomas2 likes this.
  13. EDFL follower

EDFL follower All Australian

North Melbourne
    North Melbourne, West Coast and Adelaide were exactly equal on the only measurement that counts!!

Quinz, Cuzz09 and Dazzler10 like this.
  14. Black JuJu

Black JuJu Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    This old chestnut.

History is history.

...But very confident the Eagles best team of that era would have the Roos best covered.

Cuzz09 likes this.
  15. ManOfClay

ManOfClay Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Memphis Grizzlies
    When bulldogs made prelims but failed they were derided. North fans use making prelims but failing as a reason they were better than a team that had a real claim to being the team of the 90s in west coast

Cuzz09 likes this.
  16. Handsome.B.Wonderful

Handsome.B.Wonderful Club Legend

North Melbourne
    That’s because those Bulldogs teams only made Prelims and never played off for a flag, let alone won one. North played in 7 consecutive PF’s, made 3 Grand Finals and won 2 of them.

Like the North teams that made Prelims in 2014 & 2015, the Bulldogs were making up the numbers.

None of the teams that beat the Dogs in those 2008-2010 Preliminary Finals went on to win the flag either.

17. Macpotata

Geelong
    Different question altogether. That has nothing to do with being the best team of the decade.

18. Macpotata

Geelong
    To answer that question as well, it's very debatable. The short answer personally for me is WCE of 1992 and probably even 1994 were better than North of 96 and 99. Certainly 1992. The Eagles couldn't be defied despite being nearly 5 goals down { sounds familiar } and tasting Grand Final defeat the year before { sounds familiar again } They would have had demons to face during that game against a great Geelong side who was an offensive juggernaut. Ablett, Couch, Bairstow, Hocking, Hinkley, Brownless and co. But North Melbourne were very good themselves.

It's also about what you do in September. Both WCE and North were belted by some very good sides throughout their premiership years. Actually come to think of it North weren't really touched up that bad in 99, not by huge blowout margins anyway. Finals are a different ball game as mentioned and that's where it should be measured, especially seeing as though they had pretty much the same records during the home and away season. In 1996 North destroyed us by 10 goals, beat a very good Lions team comfortably who they lost to late on in the home and away season at home, and smashed Sydney in the GF, a side who also belted them in Melbourne earlier on { Plugger kicked 10 } after erasing a 4 goal 2nd quarter deficit. They were a bloody good side. North of 99 finished really well after starting 1-3 from the opening 4 games { lost 5 all season } They lost to Essendon again in the famous shootout where Carey nailed 10 and Lloyd 7, and the other loss came against the 4th placed Bulldogs by 7 goals. North won in a canter in every finals game as they did in 96.

The Eagles best for me does get the nod, but that's debatable. North 1996 were a great side and were arguably just as good.

Ocha905 and NorthernLights like this.
  19. Macpotata

Geelong
    This sums it up very easily imo. If you're the team of the decade, how is it that you win only two finals games in 5 seasons? The last 5 seasons of the decade.

1995 - Straight sets
    1996 - beat Carlton at home, lose by 13 goals away
    1997 - Straight sets
    1998 - lose first week by 12 goals
    1999 - beat the dogs then get smashed by Carlton

2 games in half of the last decade, and 3 finals campaigns with no wins isn't good enough for me. The Eagles losses, most of them, were very heavy. It's not how you start but how you finish. After 1994, WCE weren't really relevant in the finals.

20. Cuzz09

Cuzz09 Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Norwood & Liverpool.
    If its "the 90s" it has nothing to do with start or finish.

Both were great.

Roobs321 likes this.
  21. JeanLucGoddard

JeanLucGoddard Club Legend

North Melbourne
    The main thing is everyone that despite the best efforts of the biased WA media, Carey had the better of Jakovich in their duels.

Jako would occasionally breakeven when Duck wanted to wrestle, when carey wanted to win, Jako looked second rate.

22. JeanLucGoddard

North Melbourne
    https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1993/051219930709.html

You mean that game in the home and away season in 1993 where you actually had Peter Somerville playing, you had Mark Harvey playing, you had Dustin Fletcher and had Michael Long playing? That game? The one where they all played and Carey and Longmire ripped you apart in the last quarter?

Grenvold played that game too. Admittedly 1999 Norm Smith medallist Dean Wallis didn't, nor did Mercuri (a very very very good player, but young then).

I should go back on Twitter, post this, and link to it.

23. boncer34

boncer34 It's just the way I say things

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Storm
    Already apologised for getting it wrong.

Nice to see I'm still living rent free in your head though. :)

EnolaGay likes this.
  24. JeanLucGoddard

North Melbourne
    Anyway, getting back to the game where boncer34 convincingly argued the Bombers only lost because six guys who were playing didn't play, probably my favourite quarter of the whole decade this last quarter, flags included.

I remember some Bomber fans afterward telling me it didn't matter, because at least they'd still have a club to support in a few years time.

They really showed us North types with that call!

tazaa and NorthernLights like this.
  25. boncer34

boncer34 It's just the way I say things

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Melbourne Storm
    Wasn't all that convincing.... I was clearly wrong. :D