North Melbourne and the 1990's

Remove this Banner Ad

On North in 1999, I always felt they were going to win the prem even when the Dons were rolling. I know they lost to them twice, but I felt they would have got them in the big dance. Roos in 96 lost to Sydney and Bears { twice } during the home and away season, and got touched up twice on their home floor. But come finals they spanked both of them big time.

The Roos were good on the big stage. I don't believe they would have lost two straight flags.

The main thing is everyone that despite the best efforts of the biased WA media, Carey had the better of Jakovich in their duels.

Jako would occasionally breakeven when Duck wanted to wrestle, when carey wanted to win, Jako looked second rate.
Hilarious. Carey himself admits Jako had the upper hand

Think sometimes the Carey / Jakovich match up was just irrelevant to the outcome. There was a game at the MCG in 1994 where Carey kicked 5 and took 15 marks and North lost by about 6 goals.

Last edited:
Right place, right time.
Sydney scraped over the line in each of their finals before weltering on grand final day.
Carlton in 99 were probably one of the weakest grand final teams since Geelong of 94. Too many players over the hill.

This old chestnut.

History is history.

...But very confident the Eagles best team of that era would have the Roos best covered.
In that era West Coast would have won Super Bowl , FA Cup , Stanley Cup and the World Cup of soccer with a 5 day break.

Think sometimes the Carey / Jakovich match up was just irrelevant to the outcome. There was a game at the MCG in 1994 where Carey kicked 5 and took 15 marks and North lost by about 6 goals.
Agree. Just a media pump up. But good to watch back in the day.

Jako was a gun before he did his knee and still bloody good after

Agree. Just a media pump up. But good to watch back in the day.

Jako was a gun before he did his knee and still bloody good after

I remember there a game at Subiaco a couple of years after Jakovich did his knee (circa 1999 or 2000) where he had to get taken off Carey in the first quarter and be replaced by the more athletic McIntosh for the rest of the game. He couldn't get within 10m of Carey when he was on a lead and he had about 3 goals kicked on him in that short stint. It was going to be a humiliation and forced the WC coach to make an early move.

I don't know if that game gets counted as one of the great Carey-Jakovich match ups.

Last edited:
Tell us again how you would have beaten us if all those blokes who were playing werent missing.
Most of them were though. I got it wrong, have you missed me saying that? I'm not perfect MaddAdam I'm happy to concede when I make an error. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate the Eagles achievement more. I know Australian sport includes knockout deciders, but the Eagles regularly lead the ladder early in seasons and finished with decent H&A records. Making finals 10/10 years as a relatively young club was an achievement. Had the 'home' finals thing to contend with, as well as being a pioneering AFL club.

Even in North's contending era, they were injured poo in 1997. Not really contending in 1995. Had a 3v6 home final against WCE in 1993 and couldn't get it done (for me that negates the more evenly seeded '95 and '97 encounters in Melbourne). Most disgustingly, the furthest North traveled for a finals match in the 1990s was Waverley! Soft! And that's without mentioning the mediocre 1990-91 and irrelevant 1992.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first interstate final for North was the 2007 prelim to Port (absolutely smashed). 2015 SF against tired, Franklin-less Sydney is their sole interstate finals win. Maybe the best VFL team of the 90s decade, Eagles the AFL team of the 90s decade. All happy?

Last edited:
Crazy to think how successful North were in the 90s, considering how dirt poor the club was and with no equalisation measures in place.

Crazy to think how successful North were in the 90s, considering how dirt poor the club was and with no equalisation measures in place.
Carey was very very good.

Carey was very very good.

I agree, but I think people don't realise how good the rest of the side was. Longmire, McKernan, Archer, Stevens, King, Abraham, Bell, Grant, Boomer, etc., were all fantastic players in their own right, and that's just players from the very late 90s.

I rate the Eagles achievement more. I know Australian sport includes knockout deciders, but the Eagles regularly lead the ladder early in seasons and finished with decent H&A records. Making finals 10/10 years as a relatively young club was an achievement. Had the 'home' finals thing to contend with, as well as being a pioneering AFL club.

Even in North's contending era, they were injured poo in 1997. Not really contending in 1995. Had a 3v6 home final against WCE in 1993 and couldn't get it done (for me that negates the more evenly seeded '95 and '97 encounters in Melbourne). Most disgustingly, the furthest North traveled for a finals match in the 1990s was Waverley! Soft! And that's without mentioning the mediocre 1990-91 and irrelevant 1992.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first interstate final for North was the 2007 prelim to Port (absolutely smashed). 2015 SF against tired, Franklin-less Sydney is their sole interstate finals win. Maybe the best VFL team of the 90s decade, Eagles the AFL team of the 90s decade. All happy?

Lol, being April champions is better than playing off for a GF spot.

Spare us the WA whinge too. West Coast were loaded with cash, North trained out of portables.

I'm not sure what being a "pioneering AFL club" is even meant to mean.

Is it like North being a pioneer in the organised competition of Australian Rules between clubs across a major city?

I agree, but I think people don't realise how good the rest of the side was. Longmire, McKernan, Archer, Stevens, King, Abraham, Bell, Grant, Boomer, etc., were all fantastic players in their own right, and that's just players from the very late 90s.

McKernan was jibbed of a Rising Star and Brownlow alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back