North Melbourne and the 1990's

Remove this Banner Ad

Well not everyone but a lot of people.

Not many people ever say the current moment of anything is awesome
It was better though.

Much in the same way people would say Hendrix > Bieber

The cricket, music, film, AFL..

What's good now or this decade or could possibly even be looked back upon as decent? Everything and everyone is now nitpicked and scrutinized until flaws or censorship prevail. Too many nerds with too much to say.

Underrated how much damn talent North had on their list in and around this period too, particularly under Denis Pagan.

North Melbourne, 1993-2002 (under Denis Pagan)

Wayne Carey
4x Best & Fairest
2x AFLPA MVP
7x All-Australian
1x State of Origin
North Melbourne Team of the Century

Corey McKernan
1x AFLPA MVP
1x All-Australian
1x State of Origin

Anthony Stevens
2x Best & Fairest
1x All-Australian
4x State of Origin

Glenn Archer
3x All-Australian
3x State of Origin

David King
2x All-Australian
3x State of Origin

Wayne Schwass
2x Best & Fairest
2x State of Origin

Peter Bell
1x Best & Fairest
1x All Australian
2x State of Origin

Brent Harvey
1x All Australian
1x State of Origin

Byron Pickett
1x Rising Star Award
1x All-Australian
2x State of Origin

Adam Simpson
1x Best & Fairest
1x All-Australian

Shannon Grant
1x Best & Fairest

John Blakey
1x State of Origin

Mick Martyn

Dean Laidley
3x State of Origin

Brett Allison
3x State of Origin

Craig Scholl
2x State of Origin

Mark Roberts
2x State of Origin

John Longmire
1x State of Origin

Ross Smith
1x State of Origin

Anthony Rock
1x State of Origin

Martin Pyke
1x State of Origin

Winston Abraham
1x State of Origin

Alex Ishchenko
1x State of Origin

All but Smith and Ishchenko were at least 1x Premiership players as well, and a number of those players won B&Fs and All-Australians at North outside of the Pagan era too.

It was better though.

Much in the same way people would say Hendrix > Bieber

The cricket, music, film, AFL..

What's good now or this decade or could possibly even be looked back upon as decent? Everything and everyone is now nitpicked and scrutinized until flaws or censorship prevail. Too many nerds with too much to say.

Tv has produced some pretty awesome stuff over the past decade.

Music, well good stuff seems to be further marginalized all the time. Though I am sure the likes of a Kendrick Lamar will be looked upon fondly in time. Even crappy EDM will be reminisced by many a current teenager/early 20 something in a decade or two.

With footy I’m sure plenty of sides which have been successful in this decade will reminisce. Also say how awesome it was we had midfield GOATs like Ablett, Danger and Dusty all around at the same time (and Swan and Judd a little earlier on).

Everything was criticized 20 years ago too, I remember well. People forget all the hype and anti hype in the mists of time

Essendon were flying coming into the 99 prelim and were looking better than north form wise. The prelim was a massive shock, and still Essendon could of won if it wasn’t for blowing heaps of chances in the 3rd quarter which left the door ajar for us in the last
I think we kicked 6.6 in the third quarter if I remember correctly.

I've often wondered how much the way Carey left North embroiled in scandal hurt them in the long term
Almost destroyed the club. Damage inflicted that IMO will never fully recover. We are half the club we are today cause of the Carey scandal

Great side - brought in Friday night football- when AFL was actually worth watching - rather than the rugby type craap which is so prevalent today

A few posters have alluded to Carey getting alot of the money . I heard Glen Archer say he was in Careys car - and the glove box opened - and a cheque fell out - a NMFC Bank cheque made out to W Carey for $100000 - and Carey said - oh i forgot to bank that - and Archer said - fancing forgetting to bank a cheque for a 100 Grand !!!

the 1996 North side was one of my favourites to watch. Carey, Blakey, McKernan, Stevens, Bell, Archer, Rock, Robert Scott, Laidley, Fridge Roberts, Schwass, Crocker, Martyn, Freeborn, Sholl (underrated) etc great team!.
shh don't tell no one but I kind of 'crashed and burned' for the dudes you mentioned.
you can have more than one team can't ya.. well if not then go flog yourself..

Underrated how much damn talent North had on their list in and around this period too, particularly under Denis Pagan.

Wayne Carey
4x Best & Fairest
2x AFLPA MVP
7x All-Australian
1x State of Origin

Corey McKernan
1x AFLPA MVP
1x All-Australian
1x State of Origin

Anthony Stevens
2x Best & Fairest
1x All-Australian
4x State of Origin

Glenn Archer
3x All-Australian
3x State of Origin

David King
2x All-Australian
3x State of Origin

Wayne Schwass
2x Best & Fairest
2x State of Origin

Peter Bell
1x Best & Fairest
1x All Australian
2x State of Origin

Brent Harvey
1x All Australian
1x State of Origin

Byron Pickett
1x Rising Star Award
1x All-Australian
2x State of Origin

Adam Simpson
1x Best & Fairest
1x All-Australian

Shannon Grant
1x Best & Fairest

John Blakey
1x State of Origin

Mick Martyn

Dean Laidley
3x State of Origin

Brett Allison
3x State of Origin

Craig Scholl
2x State of Origin

Mark Roberts
2x State of Origin

John Longmire
1x State of Origin

Ross Smith
1x State of Origin

Anthony Rock
1x State of Origin

Martin Pyke
1x State of Origin

Winston Abraham
1x State of Origin

Alex Ishchenko
1x State of Origin

All but Smith and Ishchenko were at least 1x Premiership players as well, and a number of those players won B&Fs and All-Australians at North outside of the Pagan era too.

It was a 1 man team though....

Essendon were flying coming into the 99 prelim and were looking better than north form wise. The prelim was a massive shock, and still Essendon could of won if it wasn’t for blowing heaps of chances in the 3rd quarter which left the door ajar for us in the last

The Prelim was a massive shock because Essendon were expected to win the game, not because they were expected to win the flag.

However Brisbane’s second half of the season was the best form coming into the 1999 finals.

35ef3e42890be5fb2c7b2dab99fa3d49.jpg

The Prelim was a massive shock because Essendon were expected to win the game, not because they were expected to win the flag.

However Brisbane’s second half of the season was the best form coming into the 1999 finals.

35ef3e42890be5fb2c7b2dab99fa3d49.jpg
Beating Brisbane in the prelim was as impressive as any finals win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tv has produced some pretty awesome stuff over the past decade.

Music, well good stuff seems to be further marginalized all the time. Though I am sure the likes of a Kendrick Lamar will be looked upon fondly in time. Even crappy EDM will be reminisced by many a current teenager/early 20 something in a decade or two.

With footy I’m sure plenty of sides which have been successful in this decade will reminisce. Also say how awesome it was we had midfield GOATs like Ablett, Danger and Dusty all around at the same time (and Swan and Judd a little earlier on).

Everything was criticized 20 years ago too, I remember well. People forget all the hype and anti hype in the mists of time
Solid theory,bad example. EDM for the most part is rubbish that is forgotten almost immediatly.

What’s a shame is that we never capitalised with flags. 1994 we were a strong chance, and 98 really should have been ours. But conversely, we kind of nicked 99. 8 straight prelim finals for only 2 flags isn’t the best return. Good times though.

8 Prelims, 50% success rate = 4 Grand Finals.
4 Grand Finals, 50% success rate = 2 Premierships.

I'd take 50% every time

70's could have been more too for North.

I heard a caller on SEN early this week talking about how he was a telegram delivery boy and worked in the North Melbourne area. He was given a telegram to deliver to North Melbourne, from some club or coach in Canberra, suggesting they should have a look at one of their players and recruit him. The telegram was delivered but went under the door mat of the North Melbourne FC, and so not found for some time.

As the people in Canberra had no reply, they sent another to Carlton, who duly recruited the young lad.

The player ?

Alex Jesaulenko.

Wayne Carey
4x Best & Fairest
2x AFLPA MVP
7x All-Australian
1x State of Origin

Corey McKernan
1x AFLPA MVP
1x All-Australian
1x State of Origin

Anthony Stevens
2x Best & Fairest
1x All-Australian
4x State of Origin

Glenn Archer
3x All-Australian
3x State of Origin

David King
2x All-Australian
3x State of Origin

Wayne Schwass
2x Best & Fairest
2x State of Origin

Peter Bell
1x Best & Fairest
1x All Australian
2x State of Origin

Brent Harvey
1x All Australian
1x State of Origin

Byron Pickett
1x Rising Star Award
1x All-Australian
2x State of Origin

Adam Simpson
1x Best & Fairest
1x All-Australian

Shannon Grant
1x Best & Fairest

John Blakey
1x State of Origin

Mick Martyn

Dean Laidley
3x State of Origin

Brett Allison
3x State of Origin

Craig Scholl
2x State of Origin

Mark Roberts
2x State of Origin

John Longmire
1x State of Origin

Ross Smith
1x State of Origin

Anthony Rock
1x State of Origin

Martin Pyke
1x State of Origin

Winston Abraham
1x State of Origin

Alex Ishchenko
1x State of Origin

Underrated? Under-performed IMO.

So they were good on the field and evidently terrible off it.

Carey, Archer, Shannon Grant. What a combination

LOL, very rich coming someone who barracks for a club that idolises Ted Whitten.

The mark of a truly great team IMO is how many members go on to be successful coaches.

In this regard the North 90s team is doing well.

Anthony Stevens now he was a footballer. Schwass, Rock, Fairley, Archer, Longmire, Romero, I could go on all day.

******* pearler of a side. campaigners produced many a come back and many more floggings. Under Lights they would razzle and dazzle.

Phenomenal.

They were pretty good for being the 2nd best team of the 90's
Lol there's always one with the chip on the shoulder.

Equal premierships, West Coast a premiership threat from 90-94, North a premiership threat from 93-2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back